3 comments

Gay Romance

He lived a happy life. His life was like a fairytale. Dark in the past, but every day it went lighter and brighter. A fairytale. He was married, they had a house together, they had a happy ending, like every other story. At least, that's what they thought. Frederick was Riley's boyfriend. They were both boys. Gay. But that isn’t suppose to bother them. Everyone is perfect just the way they are. But not everyone thinks like that. Parker, for example. He is a homophobic boy who bullied them every day since eight grade, after he found out they were both gay and together, like together-together. Fred and Riley thought they'd never see Parker again. Well, that’s what they wished. One day, a Thursday, they were walking around. Then Fred got pushed on the ground. Riley, being the overprotecting boyfriend he is, immediately wanted to hit the person who did this to his boyfriend, but then he saw that the person who pushed his boyfriend, wasn't just a person. It was Parker. The homophobic Parker. Not him again, Riley thought. ‘Leave us alone,’ Riley warned him. ‘No,’ Parker grinned and started fake-laughing. Fred and Riley hated him. Fred grabbed Riley. ‘Ri, don’t do this, it’ll make it worse, you know that,’ Fred whispered to Riley. Fred always was the sweet one between the two of them. Riley just nodded with a dark glance in his eyes. ‘Fine.’ They made their way to their very own apartment. Fred immediately went to their bedroom. Riley knew he had to let him be alone for a while. So, Riley went to the couch and turned on the TV. He watched a few shows on Comedy Central. Around five o’clock, he started to make pizza for him and Freddie. When the pizza was done, he went to get his boyfriend. ‘Freddie?’ he calls trough the door. No answer. ‘Fred? Frederick?’ Riley called a little worried, but again no respond. Riley opened the door to see Fred fast asleep on the bed. Riley cooed on this sight. He went over to the bed to wake him up. ‘Freddie-honey, wake up sweetheart,’ Riley whispered softly. Fred woke up slowly. ‘Pizza’s ready,’ Riley smiled to him. Fred smiled back and got up. ‘How’s your back? I saw him kicking you there,’ Riley asked a little concerned. ‘Oh, nothing wrong with it, I guess. Otherwise it would’ve hurt a lot more, so don’t worry about it,’ Fred laughed. Riley was already happy that Fred could laugh. The two of them went downstairs to eat their pizza while watching a movie called “I Am Legend”. They both loved that movie. After that movie, they watch a lot more movies, for example “The mask of Zorro” and “Into the storm”. The next day, they wake up on the couch. They probably felt asleep. Actually, Riley is the one who waked up. ‘You and I, we don’t wanna be like them,’ Riley heard his ringtone from his phone ring. He stood up from the couch and he looked around to find his phone. He heard it from the kitchen, so he probably left it there while he was making the pizza’s. Just when he was about to read the callers ID, the caller hanged up. Riley groaned. Typical. He turned around to walk away, without his phone again, when his phone started to play “You and I”, from One Direction by the way, again. Riley picked up the phone in time. ‘Hello, you’re talking to Riley Moore, who is this if I may ask?’ Riley asked, but he didn’t hear any respond. Riley frowned. ‘Hello? Who is this?’ Riley asked again, but still no answer. ‘Ugh,’ Riley groaned but when he was about to hang up the phone, he heard a dark and manly voice mumble. ‘What? What did you say, I didn’t hear you,’ Riley asked. The voice mumbled again. ‘Who is this? I want an answer now please!’ Riley said frustrated. ‘You should be careful,’ the voice answered dark. ‘What? Who are you?’ ‘Doesn’t matter. Just be careful,’ the voice said before hanging up. Riley was so frustrated that he throwed his phone away, against the wall. ‘Riley?’ he heard a worried but beautiful voice fill his ears. Fred. ‘I’m here, Freddie, in the kitchen. Don’t worry,’ Riley answered him. ‘Who were you talking to? Why did you threw your phone? What happened?’ Freddie asked Riley while walking in the kitchen. ‘Nobody, don’t worry honey,’ Riley told Fred. Fred didn’t really believe him, but he didn’t ask anything more about it. ‘Do you want to go have breakfast by McDonalds?’ Riley asked Fred. Fred’s face lit up. ‘Come on, then!’ Riley took Fred’s hand and ran towards their car. ‘I’ll drive, Freddie-bear!’ Riley shouted and sat down on the drivers seat. Fred chuckled and sat down next to Riley. ‘You’re so childish,’ Fred mumbled. ‘But you love me,’ Riley grinned. ‘More than you think, Ri-Ri,’ Fred chuckled. Riley rolled his eyes. ‘Keep rolling, maybe you’ll find something in there,’ Fred teased him. ‘And I am childish? Look at yourself, bastard!’ Riley laughed while driving towards the MCD. ‘But you love me,’ Fred copied Riley’s sentence. ‘More than you think, Ricky-picky,’ Riley teased back. They both laugh while driving trough the Mc-Drive. ‘Can I have… two Big Macs, one medium fries and two coke, please?’ Riley ordered. They always wanted the same. After they got their food and drinks, they parked in the parking lot. After they finished, they drove trough the city’s. they didn’t felt like going home yet, but they didn’t know what to do. Lunchtime was coming and they drove to Nando’s. ‘Can we have… ten…’ Riley started to order but Fred interrupted him. ‘No, fifteen! I’m hungry!’ he stated. Riley chuckled. ‘You’re always hungry. Anyways, can we have fifteen chicken wings, one sunset burger, one double chicken burger and two coke please?’ Riley continued ordering. Again they ate and drank in the parking lot. After that, they drove trough London. They loved it. When they were driving on a two-way road, it happened. A truck came closer and closer. They couldn’t stop. Everything went black. Was this the end of their fairytale?

Fred died that day. Riley lost his memory. He ended up with his mother who told him what happened. But she didn’t mention him being gay. She didn’t tell him about Fred. That’s something riley forgot as well. Why he left his parents. Because they were homophobic. The fairytale went backwards.

April 13, 2021 11:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Joanna Randolph
16:06 Mar 16, 2022

Nahhh this was a masterpiece but why so sad at the end love it still.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Iris Orona
15:58 May 13, 2021

I DONT ENJOY SAD ENDINGS BUT I LOVED THIS STORY! THANK YOU!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
00:32 Apr 21, 2021

This is awesome! One suggestion, though: Break it into more paragraphs. That'll make it easier to read. Other than that, great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.