0 comments

Adventure Happy Friendship

There was a whole new world behind the waterfall, there was a whole land filled with unique, radiant flowers. All of a sudden, everything began shaking and gentle, yet harsh whispers began ringing through the area. As the noises got louder and louder, the world began hazing.

Iris’s eyes fluttered open as she jerked up in her seat. She took a deep breath and exhaled sharply whilst rubbing her eyes. 

Where am I? She thought to herself. She looked around her surrounding to see many people squished together in a vehicle. Then, she realised that she was on a train, she was travelling to a nearby city for some important work. She had fallen asleep on the train since she had been on it for an hour.

She was yanked out of her thoughts when someone sat beside her with so much force and literally nudged into her. She looked to the right and saw a ginger-haired woman rummage through her overpacked handbag. She watched the woman huff as she brought out several items from her bag. 

'Where the hell did I put it?' The woman rhetorically asked herself. 

Iris rolled her eyes and tried to shuffle to her left because the woman kept hitting her with her elbow. 

‘I’m so sorry, sweetie,’ the woman politely began the conversation.

‘Sorry?’ Iris raised her eyebrow.

‘Am I getting a little annoying? Sorry I kept nudging you, but I can’t find my keys,’ She sighed heavily.

‘Oh, it’s alright. Hope you find them,’ Iris forgave her since she had been in the same situation before. Iris looked away and pulled her headphones out from her bag and proceeded to connect them to her phone. She still had another hour to go so she thought she would catch up on her series. 

She wasn’t in the mood for conversations, however, she was bored and didn’t want to fall asleep again.

She looked around the train to see all the seats occupied, there were still many people standing. Some were leaning against the side, some holding the bars whilst others stood in the middle of the seating area. In other words, it was beyond crowded and very suffocating. Iris hated using the train for this very reason, people were far too close to each other, you could literally feel other people breathing on yourself, it was unhygienic and frustrating, especially during the humid summer. 

Furthermore, Iris valued her personal space immensely, thus, she was irritated when people got too close. Understandable, that anyone in the same position would feel annoyed, everyone has somewhere to be just like she did.  

She tried to ignore the situation since it wasn’t the first time she had been like this. Usually, during the morning, the trains would get packed. Luckily, she had a seat so she could just zone out. She opened the Netflix app and looked for her show. Just as she was about to press play, she felt someone tap on her shoulder. 

‘So, what’s your name?’ She heard a heavy Australian accent. She looked to her right and the ginger-haired woman repeated the question. 

‘Iris,’ she replied and smiled then looked back at her phone. 

‘Oh, that’s cool. I’m Penny,’ she replied, ‘It’s nice to meet you.’

Iris looked at her, ‘Likewise,’ is all she said then turned back to her phone. Before she could, once again, press play, she heard the Australian accent.

‘Not much of a talker, huh?’ Penny shrugged. Iris gently nodded.

‘Well, I am and I’m extremely bored,’ Penny turned to face Iris. 

‘Entertain yourself,’ Iris said, ‘But, I’m going to watch a show, okay.’

She didn’t want to sound rude, but the lady was rather annoying. 

A few minutes go by, then Iris felt a subtle poke on her arm. She looked in the direction and saw Penny opening her mouth to say something. She paused her show and looked back.

‘Where are you off to?’ Penny curiously asked.

‘Work trip,’ Iris answers ensuring her answer was short and quick. 

‘Oh sweet, to another town?’ Penny continued. Iris nodded.

A few seconds later, ‘I’m going to my friend's city, it’s her bachelorette party,’ Penny informed.

Iris smiled, ‘Well, have fun.’

‘I don’t know if that’s the right word. She isn’t exactly fond of me,’ Penny sighed, ‘I always get made fun of amongst the girls.’

Iris was confused, ‘Made fun of?’

She nodded, ‘Yup, for not having a boyfriend yet or even get married.’

‘What? That’s outrageous,’ Iris shrugged, ‘Why does that even matter?’ 

‘Because I’m the oldest,’ Penny looked down feeling slightly embarrassed.

‘Penny, don’t listen to them. Marriage and dating aren’t something to force or rush. Let it happen when it wants to happen, forced things never last you know. Just take your time and take things easy,’ Iris warmed her heart. 

Penny smiled as tears gathered in her eyes, she sniffled and looked up so the tears wouldn’t fall, ‘That’s literally the sweetest and supportive thing anyone has ever said, Iris, thank you.’

Iris smiled, ‘You're most welcome.’ 

Thirty minutes had gone by, Iris was focused on her show. Then, someone poked her shoulder. She continued watching her show as it was at the peak point, she felt another poke, this time it was harder. 

She turned to her right displaying an annoyed look. She paused her show and raised her eyebrow. Penny looked at her with an excited expression. Penny pointed towards the window on the opposite side. Iris was confused but she looked. Her eyes widened as she gazed at the most serene and beautiful view of her life. 

For a split second, she looked around the train and saw that it was nearly empty. The majority of the seats were available. She was so engrossed in her phone that she didn’t realise when all the passengers got off. 

‘That looks so beautiful,’ Penny intervened Iris’s thoughts once again. Penny got up and moved to the seat on the opposite side to get a better view of the scenery. Iris decided to join her. She removed her headphones and placed them in her bag. She placed her bag on the empty seat beside her then gently got up ensuring she didn't trip over. The train was shaking rather powerfully, the tracks were rugged. She leaned over the seat and looked outside instantly mesmerised by the scenery.

She saw tall, humongous mountains which had the tops covered with snow. The snow looked so pure and clean, not an ounce of impurity tainted it. They were so far away yet felt so close. There was a cloud of fog encircling the mountains painting a surreal image. 

There were massive hills painted in the deepest, darkest shade of green. The surrounding consisted of fully blossomed trees and bushes. She wanted to roam the forest. She felt as if it held thousands of secrets. It was dark and covered protecting all of the wildlife. 

As the train was rapidly travelling, the scenery kept changing. They saw a huge field decorated with colourful flowers. She saw violet, turquoise, crimson, pink and many more coloured flowers all alluringly planted. She saw several cattle, goats and horses trotting around a crop field and eating the freshly grown, green grass.

The days of summer became known as the glorious sun was shining brightly. The rays so powerful, the windows heated up. The humidity soaked the inhabitants as the breeze stilled.

Iris closed her eyes and took a deep breath inhaling the smell of summer. She drifted away as the sunlight reflected onto her face.

Nature really is a piece of art. Whoever the artist is must be a mastermind, since, everything was crafted with such fine detail and perfection. 

April 17, 2021 16:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.