0 comments

Adventure

Perry Baker

perrybaker316@yahoo.com

Camping with Elvin Jr.

The sky darkened; it was an ominous purple. Thirteen year old Elvin Jr. was sitting on the swinging porch bench with his twin sister Maggy.

“We got a storm brewing,” said a concerned Maggy, with her red hair swaying in the wind.

“Sure looks like it, I replied confidently, without a worry in the world.

You see, my sister is a worry wort. A darkening sky, a bee sting, a coyote sighting are just a few of the things that torment my sis. My sister is a lot like my mom in a way. My mom worries about everything also. My dad, on the other hand is a lot like me. Nothing ever seems to bother us. We are both like fearsome warriors.

“Better shut the shutters and put the animals back into the barn,” I directed.

“I guess your right,” She admitted.

So, Maggy went to the barn and corralled all our animals into the barn. It didn't take her long, maybe ten minutes. I went around the house and shut and bolted the shutters. Then I went inside the house where my mom was already closing the shutters.

My dad was at a farming convention in Ohio, he would be back tomorrow.

The rain started coming down, and I mean it poured like you wouldn't believe. The flashes of lightening cut up the sky like a dagger.

All of a sudden I heard the tornado siren start to wail. My mom came down the stairs where me, my sister and our two Scottish terriers were standing around.

Mom screamed: “DOWN IN THE BASEMENT, QUICKLY..”

We all went down the stairs into the basement and waited for the worst to come. We heard the rain and thunder, then we heard what sounded like a loco-motive going by at high speed. Thank God I was prepared and brought down a flashlight because all the lights went out. The rain and thunder continued for another twenty minutes. The locomotive sound only lasted a minute. We went up the stairs and opened the shutter on the living room window. The barn was intact, but our neighbors home down the road had the roof torn off. I went outside and inspected our house. Damn! That was a close call. It appears that a small tornado ripped off the roof of our neighbor's house and tore down a power line near their house as well.

We were all sitting in the living room; including our two identical looking dogs: Scruffy and Scotty. I was sitting on our green leather sofa along with mom, and Maggy was sitting on the matching arm chair across from us.

“So now what do we do. We don't know how long the power is going to be out and I checked my cell phone; it doesn't work,” said an anxious mom.

“Don't worry mom, I will take care of everything. I will get us out of this mess and dad is coming home soon. Everything will be OK,” I said.

“Elvin, you always say don't worry. Our food will spoil soon and we have no car to get to town to get supplies. Why are you always so cocky,” said an angry Maggy.

“Now, now children, let's not argue. Elvin is right, we'll get through this,” mom declared.

“Listen everyone, I have a great idea, let's camp outside in the backyard today and tonight. It is going to be too hot to sleep in this house tonight with no air conditioning,” I said exuberantly.

Scruffy and Scotty seemed to like the idea so they started barking and jumping with delight.

“OK, that settles it, if it is good enough for Scruffy and Scotty it's good enough for us,” said a delighted mom. Elvin, get the tents out of the attic and set them up in the back yard. Maggy, you help your brother.” “Do I have to mom?” Maggy cried with her arms folded and with a scowl on her face.

“Let's do this!” I exclaimed passionately.

Maggy and I went up the stairs and pulled down the attic stairs. We had to be careful because the stairs were old and rickety. I went onto the attic first, a fearful Maggy followed.

“What a mess, we'll never find that stupid old tent in this pile of junk,” she complained.

I immediately took charge and said to her: “Come on Maggy, we can do this, it will be fun.”

I went over to the pile of junk and I searched until I found the tent. My sister just stood there and watched me while biting her finger nails.

“Help me drag this tent down the stairs and into the back yard where we will pitch it,” I said.

We both dragged the tent and the poles into the back yard. We had to make two trips to the attic. Phew, that was a lot of work; the hard part was over.

Maggy was completely lost when pitching the tent. She didn't have the faintest inkling on how to do it Her motivation was a big fat zero. I did most of the work, she just held the tent poles in place so I could attach the tent. It took me about a half hour to pitch the tent. It was a beauty, the tent was blue and it could sleep four.

Just then Maggy screamed and I saw her running towards the house swatting the air around her head. I ran after her, and when we were both in the house, mom was standing there.

“What are you screaming for Maggy,” mom inquired anxiously.

“An Asian killer hornet was attacking me,” Maggy whimpered.

“Did he sting you Maggy?” I questioned.

“No, no, I don't think so.”

I went back outside to where the tent was pitched. I looked around for any more signs of the killer hornets. Scruffy and Scotty were outside with me. They both seemed to know something was wrong and they started hunting for the killer hornets. About ten minutes later, after I had brought down

our sleeping bags, the dogs started barking at the ground fifty feet away and up a small embankment. They were scratching at a small mound of dirt. When I got there a large, ugly killer wasp emerged from the hole in the ground. It had to be two inches long, with big antennae, and yellow stripes on its body. I promptly stepped on it. CRUNCH went the sound of the body.

By this time my darling sister came out of the house to see what was going on in the backyard. She heard the dogs barking and her curiosity got the better of her.

“Stay away, I think there is an Asian killer hornet's nest here in this mound,” I said.

Maggy moved back a little, but still she was curious. Another killer hornet emerged from the hole, then another, then another. I tried to step on them but they were too fast for me.

“Everyone in the house,” I yelled. RUN!

Maggy and I and the dogs ran into the house.

“What's going on kids? Mom asked.

“There's a killer hornet's nest in our backyard and we have to get rid of it if we are to sleep in the tent tonight,” Maggy replied.

“I read once on the internet that if you mix three parts vinegar to one part water and pour the solution down the nest it will drive the hornets away,” I said assuredly.

“Maggy, get the vinegar, I will get a bucket,” mom said. “It's going to be way too hot to sleep in here tonight. The backyard will be much cooler.”

We poured a whole bottle of red vinegar into the bucket and then added one part water and stirred.

“Who is going to be brave enough to pour this solution down the hornet's nest,” mom asked.

Of course I will do it mom,” I said daringly. “Maggy is too chicken to do it.”

I took the bucket and carefully (for I didn't want to spill it) went out the back door and walked over to the hornet's nest. There weren't any more hornets around the nest so I quickly poured the

vinegar/water solution down the nest and ran like hell back into the house.

While in the house I went to dad's desk and got his binoculars and then I went back to the kitchen door. I looked through the binoculars at the hornets nest and saw hundreds of angry killer hornets leaving the nest.

*************************************************

That evening:

We had found some fire wood and then we built a fire, then we put a campfire grill on top of it. My mom cooked us hot dogs and baked beans for dinner, We also roasted some marshmallows on the fire.

After we sang a few songs and told some scary tales “we hit the sack” It was about ten pm when we went to sleep. About eleven o'clock we heard Scruffy howl as he was in pain. We all woke up bewildered. Where had the howling come from? I grabbed my twenty-two caliber long-gun which I got from the corner of the tent.

“Scruffy's in trouble, let's go find him,” I said tepidly.

“Mom, I'm afraid,” moaned Maggy.

“OK, you stay here then,” answered mom.

Mom and I walked out to the road. Scruffy's howling had ceased but Scotty was barking furiously across the street near the barn. It was dark out and there weren't any street lights on because of the power outage. I did have my flashlight but the batteries were very weak and on the verge of going out any minute. Mom and I continued carefully across the road on a diagonal towards the barn. One hundred more yards and we would be there. Just then, mom tripped over a downed tree limb and she fell to the ground.

“”Mom...you OK?” I asked with concern.

“You go on, I think I sprained it. I can't walk right now,” she replied while grimacing in pain.

The flashlight bulb went out and we were in total darkness. I could hear Scotty barking and growling. I continued on towards the barn. There were downed tree limbs everywhere and I couldn't see. Thank God there was a full moon out tonight to shine some light.. About twenty feet from the barn I saw Scotty. He was snarling at two gray coyotes. At this time I had the long-gun in my left hand and the flashlight in my right hand. I was terrified at what I saw. In the moon light I saw Scruffy's bloodied body. Its stomach had been ripped out. The savage coyotes were eating him. There were also numerous dead chickens, partly eaten, lying on the ground near Scruffy's dead body.

I was so scared I peed and shitted my pants. Where is all my courage when I really need it.

All of a sudden I heard something behind me; like someone trudging. The sound got closer. Finally I could see Maggy walking towards me. She stood next to me and looked at the carnage of her poor Scruffy; half eaten by the vicious coyotes who were still standing over Scruffy's body. Brave Scotty was still snarling at the coyotes.

“What are you waiting for...shoot those bastards. Look at what they did to my poor dog,” she pleaded.

I stood there, frozen, I couldn't move or speak, I was sobbing. Not for Scruffy but for myself.

I was terrified, ashamed and embarrassed all wrapped in one emotion. I just couldn't put the gun to my shoulders, aim and fire.

I dropped the long gun to the grass and fell to the ground.

“Here give me that,” said Maggy.

Maggy picked up the long-gun, aimed and fired. She hit one coyote square in the chest. It fell dead The other coyote ran off into the night.

Maggy turned out to be the real hero. She is the one who showed courage during a time of danger. As we walked home that night in the dark; helping my mother back towards our house and Scotty limping along, following us, the lights all of a sudden came on and we were out of the darkness. I could now see the light and especially the truth about my sister Maggy. Plus, I learned a lot about my self as well.

The End.

7.

September 12, 2020 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.