16 comments

Adventure Science Fiction

“You can’t run forever,” said a metallic voice, and I froze, senses alert. My eyes darted to the entry points in the crowded bar. Front door—two Etruscan warriors, side door—a Nimb and a Fetlian. I’d take the Nimb and Fetlian over the Etruscans. They’re not as fast, nor as deadly accurate with their weapons.

A clawed hand grasped my shoulder, and I fought the urge to shrug it off. Better to act as nonchalant as possible.

“Hey, Kal. Did Grondo give you the night off, or have you slipped your leash?”

The clawed hand tightened, and I refrained from showing any reaction. “You trying to attract attention?” I asked in as casual and blasé tone as I could muster, while three talons added more and more pressure, threatening to draw blood. “Sit down, you no good lizard, before someone uses you for target practice.” I sounded calm to my own ears. That was good.

The pressure continued for a few more seconds before it was released, and Kal slid his scaly body into the booth opposite.

“Nice to see you again, Kal, old buddy.” I gestured for a server and ordered two drinks on my tab.

“Grondo wants his credits,” Kal said without hesitation once the girl left our booth.

“Kal, Kal, Kal,” I shook my head in exaggerated exasperation. “That’s not how it goes. You’ve got no finesse, no sense of social etiquette. First, you ask me how I’ve been, then you make some small talk, maybe ask me about my travels, share a bit of your own story, you see. It’s called banter, shooting the breeze, a little light conversational back and forth. You’ll never be proficient in the language if you don’t practice.”

The scaly skinned Kal didn’t blink or emote in any way, except for the annoyed flick of his forked tongue.

“Grondo wants his credits,” he repeated, his metallic voice ringing without concern for the other patrons in the bar. A few eyes flickered our way and rapidly retreated. You didn’t make eye contact with one of Grondo’s henchmen. It would only be a matter of time before you became the next target of Grondo’s racket. The crime lord had fingers in every pie and dirt on everybody in the galaxy.

“Tell Grondo that I sent him the credits via interstellar mail. He should receive them in three or four cycles.” I hadn’t, of course, but Kal was not quite astute enough to determine if I was lying.

“Grondo demands that you be his guest at Capetal 1 until the credits arrive.” Yeah, that wouldn’t be happening. Guests at Capetal 1 never saw the light of day again.

It was a shame we were sitting on opposite sides of the table. Once, Kal and I had worked a run together. He was a good smuggler. His lack of expression in sticky situations had saved us on the last Pedlaron run. Lifting the precious metal from the backwater planet was risky.

The Galactic Federation had determined that the third planet from a tiny yellow star on the butt end of nowhere, was protected under galactic law. It was considered illegal to mess with the native species and disturb their delicate ecosystem, or to interfere in any way with their technological development. If the federation ever bothered to check in with that planet, they’d be horrified by the wanton destruction of the environment caused by the prevailing species. They were a violent, volatile race, and I was always careful not to be caught when we went there. I was less afraid of what they’d do to me than what they’d do to the galaxy if they got their hands on my tech and developed the ability to leave the planet they’d nearly destroyed.

Kal and I had been intercepted on the outward run, near Polaris 4. The customs officer searched the cargo deck of my Star Journeyer. Fortunately, the concealed compartments remained undetected. But the officer had been suspicious. After all, we were in butt-fuck nowhere, with absolutely no business being there.

When the officer questioned us, I intimidated that Kal and I were on our honeymoon. That we were trying to get a little alone time before facing the fury of our respective families, who were both homophobic and xenophobic, and would be horrified by our same-sex, inter-species union. Kal’s expressionless face didn’t react to the wild story, thus adding to the appearance of veracity. I don’t think he’d ever forgiven me, but we were allowed to leave with a warning to avoid that section of space in the future.

So Kal and I had history, perhaps not great history, but enough to know how the other would think. Getting involved with Grondo was quite typical for Kal. He was not the brains of any operation and needed a bigger head to guide him. So it was with great reluctance that I silently loosened my blaster from my hip holster under the cover of the plasform table covering. Without looking, my fingers activated the silencer, slowly clicking the button into place as I faked a cough.

The server interrupted our conversation with two glasses of Sherrinly on ice. It’s a potent liquor, one that I knew Kal enjoyed. He lifted his glass and downed it in greedy gulps. He’d never learned to savour the flavour and texture of the drink.

I sipped my drink slowly, allowing the ice to mingle with the spirit.

“When you see Grondo next, you can tell him from me that I didn’t wish to accept his ‘generous’ demand that I accept his hospitality.” I could see Kal struggling to make sense of my convoluted sentence. It was a kind of game I played to see if I could puzzle the lizard.

“You will tell him yourself. We will leave immediately.” Kal made a motion to stand, and I pulled the trigger. He slumped back in his chair, lifeless eyes staring at me.

I stood casually and adjusted my jacket, leaving a few credits on the table. “He just can’t handle his liquor,” I said to the server, before I quickly slipped out the back door. I wouldn’t be returning to this bar anytime soon. In fact, I decided that it was probably time I left the planet altogether.

Who said you can’t run forever? Well, you don’t need to run, you just need to stay one step ahead.

February 02, 2024 14:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Stella Aurelius
03:51 Feb 14, 2024

Very entertaining story, Michelle!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:41 Feb 14, 2024

Thanks it was just a bit of fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:44 Feb 13, 2024

Very fun :) Huge “Han shot first” vibes, capturing the feel of the galactic smuggler. The addition of Earth was an unexpected twist, and it brings to mind a short by Asimov (I believe) - where various peaceful aliens frequently see primitive ape-like aliens nuke themselves to extinction, and then are alarmed when humans are the first to not do so, opening the possibility they'll make it to the stars. With nukes. Anyway. “When the officer questioned us, I intimidated that Kal and I were on our honeymoon” - hah :) The voice on the charac...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:58 Feb 13, 2024

Thanks this was a fun one to write. Very much Han shot first! I’ll have to look up the Asimov short. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:37 Feb 12, 2024

Kal Shot First! I could picture the bar scene, Greedo in the Mos Eisley cantina. A fun character for more stories. Onto the next smuggling run! Thanks!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:53 Feb 12, 2024

Haha exactly! Not very original but fun to write!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:16 Feb 04, 2024

Nice fun story. I see you're enjoying the Sci-fi ;) Great, I'm enjoying you enjoying it!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:29 Feb 04, 2024

Yeas fun to write. I didn’t enter this one, because I don’t think it’s very original, but fun nonetheless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
18:16 Feb 03, 2024

I love good science fiction. Great job Michelle!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:53 Feb 03, 2024

Thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:12 Feb 03, 2024

Very entertaining!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
05:37 Feb 03, 2024

Thanks. It was just a fun piece of fluff for the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:30 Feb 02, 2024

Another adventure into Sci-Fi. Lucky lizards.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:53 Feb 02, 2024

This one is just for fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi, Michelle. I see another sci-fi story! [“Hey, Kal. Did Grondo give you the night off, or have you slipped your leash?” … “You trying to attract attention?” … “Sit down, you no good lizard, before someone uses you for target practice.”] The character speaking sounds like a Han Solo type of person. This oughta be interesting. Everything this fast-talking guy says makes me smirk. He’s clever, and appears adept at keeping Kal’s focus on his words and not his sneaky actions. Meanwhile, Kal is all business. [You didn’t make eye contact wit...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:58 Feb 02, 2024

I wrote this one just for fun, a challenge set by my husband. Definitely that Han Solo vibe going on. In this case though, there’s no denying it, the MC shot first!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.