Contest #153 winner 🏆

92 comments

Drama Fiction

TW: This story alludes to sexual abuse, and contains some violence.


It has been ten years since you told me to leave and never come back. I think about that night sometimes. I replay it in my mind. It was mostly my fault. I took my anger out on you, because I couldn’t take it out on him. I think I blamed you, for not noticing, for not stopping it. Eventually, you kicked him to the curb, but that didn’t quiet my anger. It continued to explode. That was the night I shattered plate after plate against the side of your house. You screamed at me then. For a long time you simply put up with my outbursts, but that was the end of it. You’d reached the end of your tether I suppose. I’d finally done something to make you reject me. You should have. I was tainted, dirty, gross. You should have discarded me long before that. Or perhaps you should have protected me. I can never decide which.

I think about that night sometimes. How I shattered those plates so that they resembled what was left of my soul. How pieces of them jumped out and bit me as I smashed them against the wall. How you grabbed my arm and I yanked it away. You hollered for me to stop, but I threw you off and kept going. I didn’t clean up my mess when I left. I suppose you cleaned it up. Either that, or the pieces of broken glass still lay in your flowerbeds, grown over now. If I could repair those plates today, if that would heal what’s broken between us, I would.

It has been ten years since I left this house and I sit in my car in front of it. I wonder what you would say if I walked up to the front door and knocked. Would you bring me into a hug and ask how I’ve been? Would you scold me for coming back when you told me I was no longer welcome? Would you call the police? So many scenarios run through my mind. I have not spoken to you since that night. My therapist tells me I need to mend the rift that has opened between us. I don’t know how.

The best I can do right now is to sit in my car across the street from that house. The house that holds some of my worst memories. Did you hear that he was finally caught? Did you wonder about his time with you and what he might have been doing to me? Did it even cross your mind? I know that you were innocent. You couldn’t have known what he was doing because he was so careful. He made sure to never get caught. My chest tightens when I think of him. My eyes sting. I want to move past being his victim. I want to let go of the anger and the hurt and betrayal I felt towards you for so very long. I really want to.

Why do you still live here? I see you come outside to check the mail. You are wearing your favorite pink ruffled bathrobe. It has faded. Those pajamas cannot be the same ones you used to wear. They’d have worn out by this time. The robe almost has. Your hair is twisted up away from your face in a clip. I duck down so that you don’t notice me. Now would be the time to approach, but I haven’t the nerve. You stand there for a moment as you sort through your mail. Are you hoping for a letter from me? I suppose not. Perhaps you have forgotten about me. Maybe you never wanted me to begin with.

That isn’t fair. My anger abates into melancholy as I remember you wiping tears off my face as I awoke from a nightmare. I had so many of them after he came to live with us. You never understood what was causing it. You took me to doctors, who talked about domestic violence and other forms of abuse. I did not tell them what was happening. I should have. I worried that you would choose him over me. And then, I blamed you. Every time he came to my room while you were at work, I blamed you for not being there. You didn’t notice that I started wanting to spend the night at my friend’s house as often as possible. Maybe you thought that’s just what teenagers do. You felt me pulling away, you recognized my defiance, but you never asked yourself why I was doing it. Even on that night ten years ago. I wanted to tell you. He was gone, you couldn’t choose him over me anymore, but I felt dirty. I felt wrong. I thought you’d tell me I deserved it.

You are walking back into the house. Your posture has gotten worse. Your shoulders slump in a way they never used to. I wonder if you’ve looked for me these past ten years. The day that I left, when I became a runaway, you could have called the police. I expected to see my picture at the post office or on the news. I wanted to, because it meant that you were sorry for what you said. It would have meant that you wanted me to come home. Every day I would look for my picture, telling myself that it was just to make sure I was aware.

It wasn’t hard to find work. All I had to do was let other men do the things he used to do to me. At least they paid me. I even got good at acting like it didn't make me sick. Once I came of age, I was able to get my own documents without your help. Now I have a real job, I don't have to let the men touch me anymore. Dropping out of high school hurt me the most, but I’ve recovered. I got my GED and went to community college. If I’d stayed at home, I suppose I would have graduated high school and gone right off to college. I suppose. I don’t think I could have. I was too full of anger then. Life on the street helped me work through things. I am afraid to tell you what my life has been. I know you wouldn't approve of the things I've done. Even if you wouldn't blame me for what happened while I was living here.

I have been coming here for a week now. Each day I get a little closer to approaching you. Today isn’t the first time I’ve seen you, but you haven’t noticed me. At least, I don’t think you have. I sometimes wonder if you’ve seen my car and thought I was here to visit your neighbor across the street. I haven’t seen a man. I wonder if you’ve spent all this time alone. I wonder if you’re lonely. If you are, would you welcome me home? I think I will be able to reach out. Someday. Maybe even some day soon. Just not now. Not yet.

July 03, 2022 04:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

92 comments

Sarah Parker
16:52 Jul 15, 2022

Great story! Congrats on the win!

Reply

L. E. Scott
16:54 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
16:14 Jul 15, 2022

well deserved!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshaya ✨
15:51 Jul 15, 2022

I could almost feel the story flow past as I read it. I especially love the way you've revealed both her present internal conflict *and* backstory through narrative instead of a conventional info dump. Extremely moving. Well deserved win! Hope to see more from you.

Reply

L. E. Scott
16:37 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you so much. I'm still in shock about the win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:36 Jul 15, 2022

You drew in the reader and kept them hanging on every word. Well done.

Reply

L. E. Scott
15:37 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you. I'm still in shock about the win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
10:36 Jul 11, 2022

“You should have discarded me long before that. Or perhaps you should have protected me.” option B for sure. I’m guessing this is about a mother and daughter? You don’t explicitly say it but that’s what would make sense. The trauma in this is very visceral without going into the details. The bit about the plates is my only negative, not the breaking of the plates but the mention of them being glass, it was an odd bit for me that took me out of the story for a moment. Other than that the rest was very absorbing.

Reply

L. E. Scott
13:25 Jul 11, 2022

Thank you for reading. I guess I didn't need to mention that they were glass since it's pretty obvious by how they shatter. Oh well. Too late to change it now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlotte Morse
08:13 Jul 11, 2022

Wow what a great piece! I love the way you slowly introduce what really happened through backstory and what she has had to go through because of it. Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

L. E. Scott
13:24 Jul 11, 2022

Thank you for reading and commenting. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BA Eubank
14:46 Jul 10, 2022

Extremely moving story. One wants to wrap her in a hug. You did a wonderful job of making the reader care.

Reply

L. E. Scott
14:57 Jul 10, 2022

Thank you so much for reading. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katy B
03:04 Jul 09, 2022

This is really excellent. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

L. E. Scott
03:15 Jul 09, 2022

Thank you for reading. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Katy B
14:51 Jul 15, 2022

Many congratulations on the win!!!

Reply

L. E. Scott
15:37 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you. I can't believe I actually won.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L. E. Scott
15:26 Jul 20, 2022

So this is my first time winning and it might be a stupid question, but since you've won before I thought maybe you could answer it. Do you know how long it usually takes for them to send out the prize money? IDK if there's something extra I'm supposed to do. I replied to the e-mail she sent with my paypal info and my birthday to confirm I was over 18, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Reply

Katy B
15:36 Jul 20, 2022

Lol I had the same question when I won, Laura responded to my email on Wednesday or Thursday and I got the PayPal on Friday :)

Reply

L. E. Scott
16:22 Jul 20, 2022

Thank you so much. I was a bit worried there for a minute.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Michał Przywara
20:48 Jul 07, 2022

This is well written. Initially, we don't know who's talking, and I pictured some sort of lovers' spat. Perhaps the woman being watched was in the middle, forced to finally pick one man over another. But, as we learned more of the story, things were no longer lining up, and it turned out much darker than I initially thought. The woman is still at the centre of things, but there's horrible abuse going on behind her back, and in the end she loses both the man and the child. We feel for the narrator. Not only were they victimized – twice, b...

Reply

L. E. Scott
21:01 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you for reading and sharing your insights. It never occurred to me that it would initially read as an ex-lover, but that was because I wrote it with the child in mind.

Reply

Michał Przywara
05:00 Jul 16, 2022

Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
21:11 Jul 06, 2022

This was a really good story! Well-built plot, and I love how it was all mostly backstory, I really never get to know characters in stories as well as this one. Nice job!! May the goddess smile upon you, Starlight

Reply

L. E. Scott
21:34 Jul 06, 2022

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mateo Devine
05:12 Jul 19, 2022

sounds gay like you bitch

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carla Ward
16:56 Jul 16, 2022

This was very moving. I've spent my career as a family and criminal lawyer, also as a guardian ad litem for abused and neglected children. Your story rings of truth. It captures the mixture of revulsion, anger, recrimination, and self loathing so many sexual abuse survivors endure and feel about and toward the ones who were supposed to protect them from harm. It also offers hope that the fractured relationships damaged by abuse can undergo some healing. I've seen that, too. Very well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brooklyn Crumley
19:18 Sep 23, 2022

Have you ever considered Grammarly? It is an app that corrects your grammar and is completely free you can use it in emails and it is correcting my spelling while writing this. i think you should try it

Reply

L. E. Scott
14:54 Sep 25, 2022

It's hard to not be insulted by this. I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but it comes off extremely condescending. I've heard of Grammarly. I've thought about using it before, but I am scared to use it because I've seen some of the things that Word tries to change for grammar purposes and the changes make little to no sense. Perhaps you could tell me what specifically in my writing sparked this comment and I could re-read and edit.

Reply

Brooklyn Crumley
21:54 Oct 04, 2022

I did not mean it as an insult. I just saw there were a few incorrect things and felt the need to tell you. I would rather not explain everything that was wrong with your story, it would take too long. Sorry if I hurt your feelings it was just a suggestion

Reply

L. E. Scott
11:56 Oct 05, 2022

Your comment was insulting because it said nothing about my story except to imply that the grammar was so horrible it was unreadable. If it had been something to do with the story itself, with a side note that perhaps my grammar could use a little fine tuning I think it would have been more palatable.

Reply

Brooklyn Crumley
18:04 Nov 03, 2022

You are being dramatic, I already said sorry and I also said I didn't mean it as an insult. You probably didn't even read my last comment. Just because you have a Writing level of a 12-year-old doesn't mean I cant say what I want to say.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.