2 comments

Fantasy

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to become a character in a story? Let me just say, it is not something that I personally enjoy. I don’t have any control over my actions because the writer must create them for me as well as speak just as I am to you right this minute.

I am fully aware that I am a work of fiction so don’t be surprised about it. Let me just go ahead and introduce myself that way you can get an idea about me. My name is Jane Mayberry and I am twenty-two years old. I currently go to college for art, I work in a clothing store, I have magical powers, I have blonde hair and blue eyes and I am five-foot-two.

My mornings are basic before class: shower and dressed. I don’t put on any makeup until work because my job requires it. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I have a ghost in my apartment. Her name is Lisa and she doesn’t show up frequently, only when she is in the mood for tea. She was my childhood friend and we just finished high school when she died in a car crash. We were planning on going to school together for the same major, but now she can’t.

“Bye Lisa! I’m off to school and I will be working late so don’t wait up.”

I wait for a moment but hear nothing. It gets kind of lonely because she isn’t a frequent entity. Anyways, I better get to my class before my professor has a fit.

***

“Alright class your professor isn’t here today so I will be your substitute. I am professor Higgins and today you can continue working on your comic strips.”

I guess it wouldn’t have mattered if I was late after all. I have a few more scenes to draw and I will be finished with this assignment. As you can tell, I am quick with my assignments because I also use a little bit of magic to help me finish them and touch them up. I do the big work which is: creating the idea, drawing the characters and the scenes, and writing the words. I only use my magic to do the shading and any touch-ups that are necessary. I don’t cheat so don’t be sitting there reading this and judging me okay? Thank you.

“Hey Jane.” Maxine whispered.

“Yes?” I whispered back.

“When you’re done, do you wanna have lunch?” she asked.

“Sure.” I replied.

Maxine is a shy girl but really sweet. She doesn’t talk to anyone else in the school but me, so it is nice to know that she has at least one friend. She has this beautiful auburn hair that she does nothing with. All she does is brush her hair and it just lays perfectly; sometimes I get jealous because my hair is always static, so it takes effort to make it decent.

After I finished my assignment for the week, we made our way to the cafeteria before anyone else. Today’s lunch was gross: liver and onions. I understand it is healthy for you, but I don’t understand why the school eats this stuff. Instead, I had a better idea for our lunch.

“Hey Maxine, let’s go to the roof to eat today, I have a surprise that will make this lunch even better.” I said with a smile.

“Alright.” she said cautiously.

Maxine believes that she is a real person and that her behavior and how she is as a person is who she really is. Unfortunately, I don’t have the heart to tell her that this world and everyone in it is made up by one person, the narrator. He or she is somewhat like a God to everyone because you created this world and these people. You create the scenery and how we talk and act, therefore, we can’t do anything for ourselves unless you write it down.

“Jane, why do you keep talking to the sky?” Maxine asks in confusion.

“I’m just saying my thoughts out loud. It’s a type of meditation.” I convince her.

“Okay. Can you change this into something edible before we miss our chance to eat?” she asks impatiently.

“Yeah let me see…okay I think I found one.” I tell her.

I closed my eyes, waved my hands over the food, said some words and I changed our food into restaurant quality steak. It was cooked medium-well with a side of mashed potatoes and cinnamon apples. We both took one bite and it was my best work yet. Last time, I tried for lobster and well…let’s just say it wasn’t cooked.

“Jane this is the best you have done! Unlike that lobster you attempted last week.” she said with a laugh.

“Don’t remind me about that. Let’s hurry up and eat before anyone else decides to come up here.” I told her.

She nodded her head and we continued eating and chatting about our lives. I told her about how I use my magic while working to make it easier on the customers and that I believe today is the day Lisa will show up and have tea with me.

After lunch was over, we went on with our classes like normal and I finished everything early for the week. Now I can focus on more important things like work.

***

I got to work and noticed that today was busy. I’m not used to busy, and we weren’t even having any special sales that I was aware of.

“What’s going on Tammy?” I asked.

“You wouldn’t believe it Jane; the famous model Yolanda is here! She is modeling all of our clothes for the customers which is causing them to try them on and buy them.” she said with excitement.

I walked to the dressing rooms and I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was Yolanda in our store. I wasn’t sure what to think besides starting work straight away. I wasn’t going to let her distract me from my duties.

I welcomed every customer that came in and offered them assistance with fittings, clothes, gifts, you name it. I had to use my powers to float some of the higher clothes down for the customers to try on and if they didn’t like it, I would have them float right back to where they go. The rest of the day was nothing but chaos until the model finally left. We thanked her for coming in and once I walked to the dressing rooms to clean, I was furious.

“Tammy! This is unacceptable!” I shouted.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

As soon as Tammy walked to where I was, she became just as furious.

“That…that…ungrateful woman! How dare she try on all of these clothes and not put them back.” Tammy said angrily.

“You know what? Being angry isn’t going to solve anything, I’ll just clean this up with the snap of my fingers.” I reassured her.

“I understand Jane, but you shouldn’t have to clean up after her. She didn’t buy anything, and it is literally every piece of clothing we have in this store.” she said.

I snapped my fingers and all the clothes sort of danced their way back to where they belong. It’s a piece of cake but it can be tiresome because customers will do that on purpose just to see the clothes get put up. I finished my shift and bid Tammy goodbye.

***

           I stepped inside my door to find Lisa sitting at the table. I was surprised to see her considering that it was late.

           “What are you doing here?” I asked surprised.

           “Care to have some tea with me? I know the day must have been hard for you and I do miss talking to you.” she said.

           “Let me fix that right up. You would not believe the day I had.” I told her.

           I fixed tea with my powers of course because I’m too tired to do it the normal way, I sat down at the table across from Lisa and told her everything. It was nice catching up with her and I do wish this was a frequent thing. Unfortunately, due to her limits, she isn’t allowed to visit except for when her energy is at its highest peak.

           “I’m sorry I can’t visit more.” she said apologetically.

           “It’s alright. I’m just glad I can talk to you and catch up when I get the chance. Anyways, I’m headed to bed. I’ll see you next time.” I told her.

           “Until next time Jane. Bye.” she said as she faded.

           Now this is usually the time where I cry because I miss her dearly, but I will not do that in front of you. I am going to bed and I will see you next time. Maybe I will be in another story with a more interesting plot? Just a suggestion ha-ha. I know how busy you get. Well…until next time. Bye.

March 10, 2020 13:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Peace Nakiyemba
22:19 Mar 18, 2020

I like how she, time to time, talks to the reader. And she really has a normal day aside from the little workings of magic, it shows how real she has become to herself, from my perspective. I think there is not so much happening in the story, or there are so many scenes you wanted to incorporate that none of them stands out strongly except for the class scene with her friend. Just my thoughts. Keep writing!

Reply

Christina Lyon
13:27 Mar 19, 2020

Thanks. My issue, is that when I incorporate more story and more scenes, I go over the 3,000 limit so I was trying to keep it in that limit. I will keep writing and it would be nice to get more tips like that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.