3 comments

General

She could feel the sweat on the back of her neck. The last time she felt like this, she was about to take her driving test. Her first book was about to go out to the big bad world; the same world that was about to condemn her, criticise her and ridicule her with it's opinions. She has to pinch herself to believe it, but she was finally published. The hard part, facing public opinion, was heading her way and there was no stopping it. Her stomach did a flip as she clicked on the link to her website.

Her dream has always been to publish a book, but she never had the confidence to write what was actually on her mind. What would they think? What would they say? Would her family understand? Would they think she betrayed them? In order to produce a novel worth reading, Joan always felt she had to be someone else, and live through the eyes of another in order to seem interesting.

Sarah from In Print believed her work worthy of publishing from the first manuscript that she sent in. It was only three months ago, and here she was, an published author. When she met Sarah, she expected to see a tall, successful type, with fabulous features and a body to die for. Everyone who had what you wanted, had to be successful in every aspect of their lives, right? She was a bit disappointed to see a 5 foot, mousy-brown haired, freckled lady of approximately 50 years-of-age in front of her at the designated meeting spot. Surely this is not a successful author in her own right? She can't be, she does not fit the idea that was embedded in Joan's mind.

Sarah had revealed in their first meeting that she was a successful author of five novels, two biographies and an award winner of numerous short stories. She was living the dream, Joan's dream at least, but did not fit the profile expected. Sarah encouraged Joan to finish off her novel. She rang her every morning to gauge her progress, and any day Joan wanted to pack it in, she called to her house and made her type any words that came into her head. It worked. Three months after they first met, Joan's first novel was published.

When Sarah told Joan her book was going for publication, she started a crash diet. She booked a facial with her local beautician, and started running the roads. She had to look perfect for the big unveiling. She, an author. She, a published author! And she had to look the part. She got highlights in her hair to set off her eyes. She tinted her eye brows and eye lashes. She even got a wax. Who knows where this might lead! There may be a man in it after all.

Joan clicked on her website, she was very disappointed. There were no comments, complimentary or otherwise. Joan felt a little relieved, but disappointed as this meant that no one felt her book was good enough, even for a comment. Oh well she decided, maybe the world is not ready for me just yet. Maybe it would take some time for her book to reach the desks of the top newspapers. Maybe their glowing reviews of her book are so great that they need time to re-read such exemplary work. Deciding to scroll through the internet, Joan typed in the name of her book. Ready for the World.

There, before her eyes, was a picture of Sarah and a copy of Joan's new book. Sarah looked different. She seemed taller and more groomed than before. Her hair was highlighted and she definitely had some work done to her eyebrows and eye lashes. She looked good. But, Sarah was claiming Joan's novel as her own. What? How could this be? As Joan read article after article, it was clear that Sarah was getting the praise for Joan's first published novel. There were reviews from The Times, The Observer, and The Examiner. And they were all complimentary of Sarah. Still not believing her eyes, Joan rang Sarah at the offices of In Print. When she did not answer, Joan rang her personal mobile, which Sarah had insisted on giving her for use anytime of the day. Again, no answer.

Joan decided to take a drive over to the offices of In Print where she first met Sarah. On that day, she remembered smelling fresh paint, to which Sarah revealed they were refurbishing the offices. No other staff were on site because they were working from home while refurbishments took place. Apparently there were going to be ten publishers and fifteen administration staff to back up the publishers. It was quite the successful operation according to Sarah. Joan, being out of her depth, and new to the publishing scene, accepted the word of such a successful publisher. Why wouldn't she? This was someone who was going to make her dream come through, someone who believed in her work, someone who understood her.

Now, as she stared unbelievingly at the building, there was no sign over the door, and no furniture in the office window. Joan felt like she was in a dream. She leaned against the door frame and tried to calm her breathing. For a brief moment, she thought she was swirling around. What was happening?

Joan thought back to when she first submitted her manuscript to Sarah. It was on-line, and now that she thought about it, the email address was a personal one. She had only ever been to the office once to meet Sarah. Any documents requiring a signature were brought to Joan's house by Sarah, who always insisted to Joan that she leave the small print to her. She even insisted on keeping all copies on file for her in the offices of In Print so that they would be safe.

Joan put her head on her hands. The truth was settling in. This could not be happening!

June 18, 2020 16:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Adam Wright
04:07 Jun 26, 2020

Nice story. I feel so bad for Joan! An author's worst nightmare come true.

Reply

Lisa O'Dea
16:39 Jul 02, 2020

Can you imagine being in that position? After years of rejections, months of preparation and writing, editing, proofreading, and it all for nothing! OMG!

Reply

Adam Wright
18:22 Jul 02, 2020

That would be the absolute worst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.