A Cabin Retreat

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story that takes place in a winter cabin.... view prompt

4 comments

General

                                                 A Cabin Retreat

                                                 By Cheryl Fulton            

 

 

As I typed a few words I couldn’t stop glancing at the dirty dishes and the Christmas decorations still up. I sighed, for the new year, all 12 days was going to be different. I was trying to write my first book, a cozy mystery, but life kept getting in the way. I couldn’t seem to concentrate on my next victim’s demise with tinsel hanging off my table. I must have OCD for I cannot sit and relax or write if there are things that must be organized or cleaned. I blame my mother for I never saw her clean anything. When the sink was Cabin Retreatoverflowing, she would fill the tub and soak them. That memory made me laugh, for I still remember taking a shower with dishes at my feet. My thought was interrupted by a neighbor’s loud radio and power tools being used. That’s it, I thought, I turned off my computer and decided a change of scenery was imperative. We just were given by my in laws their cabin up north in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It was about a 2-hour ride and they couldn’t drive that far anymore. I looked at the time, I had plenty of time before it got dark. We have gone up a few times, so I had an idea where I was going, so I filled the dishwasher, hit start, and went to pack.

              I decided to grab some groceries and a few packages of cut wood just in case. I was starving and opened my table top lemon pie and coke and before I put the truck in drive I realized I didn’t tell anyone where I was going, it was only for 3 days but my husband would be home from his business trip before me. I quickly texted him my plans and continued my journey. As I got on the highway, I noticed there were no other cars and as I drove only an occasional car passed me. As I got closer to my destination the sky turned dark and gloomy, I wondered what weather awaited me. I should have checked that before I left, I thought.

              As I drive down the unpaved- ice spotted road and realize dusk is approaching I wonder if this was a good idea, I could turn around. I stop and finally check the weather a winter storm is on the horizon. Great I think, If I turn around, I will be caught in it for 2 hours. Nope I say out loud, I don’t like driving in the snow, especially on the highway. I decide to be brave and drive the 10 minutes more to the cabin. It starts to snow as I pull into the driveway, I smile at how picturesque the cabin looks with the snow falling around it. I notice there is a bunch of cut wood on the covered front porch. I feel better when I see that, I take it as a sign that this was a good idea. But I can’t help wishing why didn’t my in laws pick a house at the beach. I grab my suitcase and groceries and open the front door, but not before I hear the wail of some wild animal. I quickly close and lock the door, like an animal will try the doorknob and come in. I turn on all the lights and heat, grateful they work.  I light a fire and put my stuff away, pour a glass of wine, and look around the cabin. It’s small 5 rooms, 3 are bedrooms which I would like one as an office. It could use some work, I don’t think it’s been updated since the 70’s. I love that it is a log cabin, and it’s well cared for and cozy, oh and free. I glance out the window and see pitch black, that was fast I thought. I turn on the outside light and see it is snowing still and slightly heavier. I turn the fridge on, and I’m glad I brought my ice filled cooler till the fridge gets cold enough, something I didn’t think about, and I like ice in my wine. I grab my surface and do what I came here to do. I hear the wail of an animal again; I shudder take a big gulp of wine and start writing.

                I look at the time, its 11:10 p.m. I’ve been writing for hours, with only the crackling of the fire as my companion. Only then do I realize I haven’t heard my phone at all, I grab it from my purse and check it. No messages and I see the words no service. I panic slightly as I look out the window again and the snow is quickly accumulating. Did my husband get my message I wonder, your fine I tell myself? The wind has picked up whispering at my windows as it passes by. I’m hungry, I check the fridge, it’s cold. I fill it from the cooler, put the slightly melted ice in the freezer and make a ham and cheese sandwich on rye bread. I check on the snow outside, its still coming down steadily and I see a deer walk bye. I sigh as I have never seen one in person, only on TV. What a beautiful animal. I finish my dinner, throw a few logs into the fire and get ready for bed. I have a hard time falling asleep as the snow has changed to freezing rain as it taps dances on my bedroom windows. I jump when I hear thunder which is rare in a winter snowstorm. I love this weather, always have. I prefer the rain to a sunny day. I’m called a Pluviophile, a lover of rain. I finally fall asleep and dream of running in the snow being chased by a big bear.

                     I wake up cold and hope I still have electricity as I glance at the clock beside me and it’s on. I get up and turn the heat up and make a big roaring fire to sit by with my coffee. As my coffee is brewing, I check outside the windows and the snow and rain has stopped and the sun is shining. I see many animal footprints in the snow, some up on my porch but they are small like a rabbit or such. I wonder if a bear would because I know it could knock down my door. Then I remember don’t they hibernate in a cave in the fall till the spring? Yes, they do. My coffee beeps its done and I sit by the fire with a cup and a blueberry muffin. I decide to stay one more night and I probably couldn’t get down the road anyway. I open my surface and continue writing and I am filled with creativity. I should move up here for I have written so much in this environment.

          My chills tell me the fire is low, I throw in some logs and pour myself a glass of prosecco. I check my phone and see no service still, I worried that my husband doesn’t know where I am. I suddenly hear a vehicle of some kind in the distance, I open my door to hear it better. It’s coming my way, the noise is getting louder, then I can see a snowmobile and 2 people coming my way. I get wary of who it is for they have helmets on. I retreat, back into the cabin and lock my door, check for my gun just in case. They stop right at my porch and one of them gets off, grabs a big bag, pats the driver on the back who then takes off leaving the unknown person coming to my door. They take off their helmet and I have a sigh of relief, it’s my husband, who smiles when I open the door. ‘Surprise’ he says shivering, I grab him and give him the biggest hug and kiss. He tells me he wanted to surprise me, drove up and left his car at the neighbors, his parents’ good friends and had them snowmobiled him over. The road has too much snow to drive up he says. The sun has stopped shining and dark clouds are in its place. “it’s going to snow again, “he says. We go in and he opens his bag, he has wine and sliced cheeses and meats and the best baguette ever. I grab 2 glasses and arrange our lunch as he takes off his coat and boots. He throws in a log and I sit, and he makes a toast,

January 11, 2020 00:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Amanda Knapp
12:45 Jan 16, 2020

I like this story. I feel like maybe it reveals a bit of what the writer is going through in her own life being a new year and everything. The one main critique I have for this piece is I feel it is lacking a story. I struggle with describing what I mean, but I had the same issue when I completed the first draft of my story for this week's prompt. I like that the husband surprised her at the end, but when the snowmobile was approaching I expected the story to start going at that point and it was actually the end. I know there are limitions i...

Reply

Cheryl Fulton
19:45 Jan 16, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, (no excuses) but I did at last moment and did rush it. But because of your response I will make sure I don’t do that again! 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherry Monfils
02:17 Jan 16, 2020

I liked the the way she put some things in to make a person laugh but other than that, I almost gave up reading it because it just seemed, IDK, too " wordy." That's just my personal opinion & i'm not a professional writer so please take that into consideration!

Reply

Cheryl Fulton
19:47 Jan 16, 2020

I so appreciate your time to read it, and need to know what people’s opinions are. Thank you so much . I love this contest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.