2 comments

General

05-25-04

Dear Kate,

You were born today. I myself have never been particularly good at keeping a diary, but I'm hoping that I can keep this one so that you can read all about you as a baby. You are destined for great things my dear daughter. I can see it in your eyes.

Love forever,

Mom


03-17-15

Dear Kate,

You took your first step today! I'm going to tape a picture to the back of this page so you can see, you're turning into a beautiful little girl! I can't wait for your first word honey!

Love forever,

Mom


06-13-05

Dear Kate,

You just missed your birthday by about three weeks, but guess what? You said your first word! I cried when you said it, seeing as your first word was "ook" not "Momma" or "Dadda". You were pointing at a book and kept calling all of the books "ook!" I was so proud though baby girl. You're growing so quickly. Soon you'll be writing your own diary.

Love forever,

Mom


09-06-08

Dear Kate,

You're headed to pre-school today. You chose your outfit last week, a pink barbie shirt, a green flower skirt with watermelon leggings and the cutest pink sandals ever. Again, I taped a picture on the back. When I picked you up, you cried because you didn't want to leave. Your teachers said you were wonderful, that most of the other kids hadn't known the alphabet yet, and that you helped them. You also shared really well. I'm so proud of you baby girl!

Love forever,

Mom


09-03-09

Dear Kate,

Kindergarten already! Today is the first day where I won't see you, all day. You got on the bus and I cried for a little. You were so excited to go back, but when you got home you told me you didn't know any of the girls in the class, but you needed my help because there was a deaf girl in your class. We bought a sign language for children book and I cried some more. You're turning into a beautiful young lady.

Love forever,

Mom


05-25-14

Dear Kate,

Today is your tenth birthday and I've decided that now would be a good time to hand over the diary. I hope you like it and fill it with all of your memories!

Love forever,

Mom


05-25-14

Dear Diary-to-be-named,

Mom says I have to name you, since you've been called Kate. I think she's wrong cause she was writing to me. But anyway, today is my birthday. I read all of the past notes from Mom and I think she cries a lot. But I also think it's cute and I do plan on writing to you. I start Middle School next year, and Hailey, the deaf girl, isn't sure her mom is gonna let her go to the same school anymore. that could be a problem cause we've been besties since forever. Anyway, it's almost my bedtime.

Bye I guess,

Kate


09-08-14

Dear Hailey,

I'm scared. Like, really scared. How can I start middle school without you? You've always been there, and we've had a great time talking when no one else knew what we were saying. I'm going to miss you. I mean, how can I even face Middle School? What if it's terrible and no one likes me, or no one I know is in my class? Mom needs me to go downstairs and eat breakfast, but maybe I'll just fake sick today.... No, I've got to do this. I'll text real hailey later and we can compare our days. I'm still scared. Wish me luck.

Bye I guess,

Kate


10-31-14

Dear Hailey,

Molly, Karen, Josh, Jake, Joey and I are going trick-or-treating together. Hailey couldn't come cause her mom doesn't know any of these people and apparently doesn't trust me enough to send her with us. I guess I get it, but we've always done trick-or-treating together. I like Molly, Karen, and the triplets, but they aren't Hailey. Anyway, I gotta go get my costume on. Mom's finally letting me be Harley Quinn this year.

Bye I guess,

Kate


12-25-16

Dear Hailey,

It's occured to me that since I just got a new diary, as I've got one full from Mom, and I've already filled one, that maybe I should change your name since you're a new diary. Maybe it's because I just don't really talk to Hailey much anymore. I don't know, but I think I'll stick to Hailey for now, and just change my awkward way of ending my entries. Anyway, Molly says Jake likes me seeing as he got me a necklace for christmas and didn't get her or Karen anything. I kind of felt bad, but it was a very pretty necklace. It was a tiny silver chain with a metal origami raven, like the one Raven has on The 100. I've worn it every day since he gave it to me, but I think it annoys Karen because she glares at me every time I fiddle with it. Maybe she just likes Jake. I guess I don't know. I'll text her and ask her later. I think this is a bad way to think, but I sorta hope she doesn't like Jake, because I sorta like him, and he seems to sorta like me too. Does that make me a terrible friend?

TTYL,

Kate


05-25-17

Dear Hailey,

Today is the best day of my life! Today, I was given the best present a new teenager could ever ask for! I got my first kiss!!! EEEEEEE! isn't that exciting? Jake kissed me today after lunch. He walked me to class after lunch and we were holding hands. Not that I should be like totally surprised and I probably shouldn't be this excited, but I mean come on! Jake actually kissed me! Howard and Karen kissed a few weeks ago and now they're dating. jake and i are already dating, but he just kissed me today! I've been kissed! Oh, thirteen is already the best age ever. Okay, just this once I'll be immature again. Thirteen is the bestest age EVER!!! Anyway, Jake also got me a new romance novel for my birthday. Did I mention that Molly is kinda annoyed that she's single and hasn't been kissed yet? Our weekly sleepovers still happen, but she won't let us watch romcoms anymore. We keep watching scary movies and prank calling all of the guys on our phones. It's fun, but I sorta miss when we could all swoon over the main guy of a movie and not worry about his head being blown to smithereens. Well, Mom and Dad are taking me to dinner with Molly, Karen and the triplets. They said I could bring others if I wanted, but these guys are my closest friends so I said no thanks.

TTYL,

Kate


08-18-18

Dear Hailey,

The girls and I went on a shopping spree today. We all knew we needed a new look in order to start high school. I mean who shows up their Freshman year in clothes they wore last year? Not us anyway. My parents said I could wear crop tops this year, so we bought a few of those. Of course, that meant I had to buy high waisted jeans and skirts. I also bought some pumps and super cute sneakers! I need cute shoes to match my cute clothes. Karen didn't buy much other than sweaters and I think some sneakers, but that's just who she is. Karen is far more comfortable in a large sweater and jeans than anything else. Molly on the other hand, was totally for the crop tops. She got some cute ones, we even got these matching NASA sweater crop tops that say "It is rocket science" on the back. Molly however usually wears leggings not jeans so she dragged us along to look at these leggings with these super weird, but cool, designs all over them. She only got a few of those though and mostly stuck to solid colors. Molly got a lot of heels though, she thinks she's super short, and I guess she is, but it never bothered me. She found super cool types of heels too. Boots, sneakers, sandals, anything you wanted, the stores had put heels on. Anyway, we all now feel like we are officially ready to start High School.

TTYL,

Kate


11-17-18

Dear Hailey,

Ugh. Just Ugh. Howard broke up with Karen and the three of us girls spent the entire weekly sleepover watching Nicholas Sparks movies. I'm not sure how one man could come up with so many depressing movies. He must have been seriously twisted. Molly and I secretly swore off Nicholas Sparks movies after Karen left Molly's house. I think I'm going to lock me and Jake in a quarantined room so that neither of us could die like that. You can't hear me, but I just heaved a sigh. We're what? Two, three months into the Freshman year of high school and I'm ready to quit. Hopefully all three of us will have a date to Snowcoming so that Molly isn't fifth wheeling. If not, I say we recruit the other two of the triplets. They've never dated anyone.

TTYL,

Kate


07-04-19

Dear Hailey,

Sweet cheese! It's the fourth of July, but it feels like the surface of the sun! It's so so so so so hot! I feel like I'm suffocating. The six of us are supposed to be hanging out at the triplets and swimming in their pool, but Karen is still primping. She likes Joey. Molly and I are just laying on her bed moaning. Well, Molly is also teasing about my diary, but I carry you everywhere. I blame my Mom for her carrying the past you's with her everywhere while I was growing up. Anyway, Molly is still single and so is Josh, but Molly says she doesn't want a boyfriend until senior year so she has a date to Prom. Josh won't say why he's still single. I think it would be super cute if we all dated and then had a triple wedding! Oh, Karen is ready now, so I gotta go before they're waiting on me.

TTYL,

Kate


01-09-20

Dear Hailey,

When I got back from Christmas break this year, everyone was making jokes about Coronavirus. I didn't get it so I put a little bit of research into it. It doesn't sound like it's currently a major issue, but it is a virus, so you never know. My teachers are a little more worried about this one too. We all had to wipe down our desks, and I'm worried about Molly, who just came back from Florida. Not that it's in the US, but we do live in New York, so you never know. This could be a huge hotspot if it ever ends up here. Anyway, I need sleep. I'm pooped.

TTYL,

Kate


03-23-20

Dear Hailey,

Today, NYC has become the biggest epicenter of outbreaks for COVID-19 and I'm getting worried. I mean, what if we all die from this? This could cause the end of the world! I'm sure that that's an exaggeration, but what if it isn't? What if everyone in the entire world dies from this virus that two months ago, we were making jokes about? I think I need a nap. or I should facetime someone. I'm going to facetime Jake, he makes me feel safer. Not as worried that we're gonna die. I don't have so many panic attacks on days I talk to him. Anyway, I just need to breathe, it'll all be okay.

TTYL,

Kate


07-28-20

Dear Hailey,

See? I told you it'll all be okay. I'm going on vacation today,a dn in two weeks we're celebrating my Sweet 16, since we couldn't in May. It's going to be spectacular! It's going to be masquerade themed and I've decided to invite everyone in my grade, plus a few others in different grades. It's gonna be huge! No one is required to bring a present, because I don't know what in the world I'd do with all of those, but I really wanted a big party. Molly, Karen, the triplets and I are all going to be seated on thrones at the front of the room. Technically, it's all of our party, but I planned it and they let me. We facetimed through the planning, except Jake who was at my house most of the time. They didn't really care what I did or who I invited so I just made it huge. We already exchanged gifts, since we mailed them on everyone's actual birthday. I don't think the triplets even wanted a party, but their girlfriends did so they agreed. We all also already got our outfits and I can't wait! Okay, I have to finish getting ready for Virginia. I also think after my party, I'm going to be done writing to you so often. I need to tell my friends more and you not so much. I do love you, but I don't need a diary in college, and I'm going into my Junior year, so I think it's time you retired. I am also going to text the real Hailey. Maybe send her a card. It's been a while since we spoke. Maybe I could even facetime her. i don't know. Whatever I decide to do though, I'll tell my friends, not you. Sorry old pal, but you're headed for the memories box with all of your past lives.

TTYL,

Kate

April 06, 2020 16:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Wendy Suzanne
14:48 Apr 08, 2020

I like how this story progresses, I would have like it a little longer though. It could make a good novel so you can really get into the departure of Hailey and her dating Jake.

Reply

Wendy Minore
14:49 Apr 08, 2020

Thank you! I'm a little new to writing though, so writing a whole novel might be a little far right now. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.