12 comments

Drama Fiction

Blonde ringlet curls bounced against rosy cheeks as Lily skipped down the hall wearing white patent shoes and a pink dress trimmed in lace on the hem.


“Mr. Teddy,” Lily said as she entered the bedroom, “Today we’re having a special party.”


Grabbing Mr. Teddy from the floor, she propped him in a chair at the four-seat table. “Wait right here while I prepare the tea.”


Without blinking, Mr. Teddy. dressed in a single red bowtie, waited patiently as Lily retrieved four tiny cups. “You’re probably wondering why we need four cups instead of two, but it’s a surprise.”


Lily rummaged through the wooden toybox, retrieved a dainty teapot, chipped on the spout, and began preparing the tea. “It’s a little broken,” Lily said while she worked. “But often broken things still work too. Don’t you agree?” When Mr. Teddy didn’t answer, Lily returned to preparing the tea and softly hummed the tune to “I’m a Little Teapot”. 


“It only takes a few minutes to boil.” She glanced over a shoulder and smiled. “If I remember correctly, you prefer two teaspoons of sugar.”


Carefully lifting the teapot, Lily tilted it over the tiny cups, filling each one with tea. “We must be careful. The tea is still steaming.”


She removed the lid from a sugar bowl, spooned two teaspoons into each tiny cup and stirred each one carefully. “Tea’s ready,” Lily placed a cup in front of Mr. Teddy. “Now we just need the other guests to arrive.”


“You should blow on your tea before you drink it.” Lily straightened Mr. Teddy’s red bowtie. “And you should also look handsome for our guests.”


Sitting at the table, Lily sipped from the dainty cup. She held her pinky finger out like a lady. A few moments later, she excused herself and crossed the room.


When she lifted Mrs. Teddy from the floor, she straightened the pink ribbon on her head. “You really should look your prettiest today.” Mrs. Teddy didn’t smile. “Don’t look so sad. I’ve prepared a fabulous tea party for us today.”


Lily carried Mrs. Teddy to the table and propped her in a chair. “Now you two mind your manners and don’t start fussing like you usually do, while I go look for the last guest.”


Lily rummaged through the toybox and retrieved a baby doll with big blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and blond ringlet curls, just like her own. “Baby Sparkles, you mustn’t cry today.” Lily kissed her porcelain cheek. “I’ve prepared your favorite tea because it’s a special day.”


Lily propped Baby Sparkles in a chair, grabbed a plate of tea cakes and settled in the remaining chair. “Welcome to my tea party.” She placed a tea cake in front of each guest. “Go ahead, you can eat them. Momma made them, so they are much better than mine.”


“Mr. Teddy,” Lily stared into his solid black eyes. “You should tell Mrs. Teddy that you love her. She misses the days when you paid her attention and surprised her with bouquets of flowers.”

Mr. Teddy stared back without blinking. “You must have something to say for yourself. Baby Sparkles is sad about how you’ve behaved lately.”


Lily gently placed a hand on Mrs. Teddy’s shoulder, “You should tell Mr. Teddy how you feel. He can’t know if you don’t tell him.”

Neither Teddy Bear said one word. “You two won’t be able to fix anything if you don’t talk.”


Lily lifted Baby Sparkles into her lap. “See, you’re making Baby Sparkles cry. She doesn’t want to choose between mommy and daddy.”


Lily wiped tears from Baby Sparkles cheeks. “Baby Sparkles loves you both. She loves her playroom and doesn’t want to move out.”


Lily glanced at Mrs. Teddy who quietly stared into space. “You really do fuss at Mr. Teddy over nothing quite often. You should say your sorry for doing that.”


When Mrs. Teddy didn’t reply, she turned her eyes toward Mr. Teddy perched in his chair staring too. “Today is Baby Sparkles birthday. All she wants is the two of you together.”


Lily wiped tears from Baby Sparkles cheeks and offered a most concerned look. “Her heart is broken. She cries every day. Why can’t the two of you work this out?” Lily raised her brows. “You know it would be the best birthday present ever.”


Lily nibbled on a tea cake and sipped her tea. “Aren’t you two even going to eat after I went to all this trouble to have a special tea party for Baby Sparkles birthday?”

Mr. Teddy stared with round black eyes but didn’t speak. Mrs. Teddy didn’t move an inch either.


“You’re very selfish for not considering how Baby Sparkles feels.” Lily snatched the tea cakes and tossed them to the floor. “You don’t deserve special tea cakes or special tea either.” She grabbed the tiny cups and flung them in the toybox.


Lifting Baby Sparkles from the chair, she kissed her rosy porcelain cheek. “It’s no use. They aren’t listening. Let’s just take a nap.”


Lily placed Baby Sparkles on the bed, snuggled beside her beneath the quilt, and they cried together.


 ***********


When Daddy arrived to get Lily to celebrate her special day, he found her bedroom door slightly open. Unbeknownst to Lily, he watched and listened while she played, filling four tiny cups with tea, and conversing with her teddy bear. As she twirled around, she looked like a princess in a pink ruffled dress and ringlet curls.


“Ann, come here,” Daddy whispered to Momma, “You really need to see this.”


Momma joined him at the door, peeking inside as Lily prepared the guests for the tea party.


When Mr. Teddy, Mrs. Teddy and Baby Sparkles were seated at the table, Momma wiped tears from her eyes as she listened to Lily giving marriage advice to stuffed bears.


When Lily mentioned Baby Sparkles birthday, Momma and Daddy both finally understood. Today really was a special day. Today was Lily’s birthday and she turned six years old.


They watched Lily’s performance in silence, but when Lily knocked the cups and cookies in the floor, Daddy reached out for Momma’s hand.


“I’m sorry,” he whispered.


“I’m sorry too.” Momma wiped away a tear.


As Lily crawled in bed and snuggled with her doll, Daddy said, “You could join us today for Lily’s birthday celebration. Not only would it make Lily happy.” Daddy paused. “I’d like it too.”


Momma kissed Daddy on the cheek. “You know, it’d make me happy too.”

January 09, 2022 23:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Graham Kinross
06:08 Jan 10, 2022

This was really sweet. I tend to read more downbeat stuff but I'm glad I clicked on this.

Reply

Melony Beard
22:35 Jan 11, 2022

Thanks so much for reading it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:16 Jan 12, 2022

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Swan Anderson
08:46 Jan 17, 2022

Beautiful story! It's nice to have a children's story here that also has a strong message for adults. It was definitely eye-opening for the parents. Well-done! I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Reply

Melony Beard
12:12 Jan 17, 2022

Thank you for your kind comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
21:00 Jan 16, 2022

This was cute. It definitely shows how receptive kids are and how much they understand. I like that your tea party was a little girl playing!

Reply

Melony Beard
21:01 Jan 16, 2022

Thanks so much for reading it.

Reply

Kate Winchester
21:15 Jan 16, 2022

You’re welcome. ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mendy Beatty
16:56 Jan 15, 2022

Awesome!!!

Reply

Melony Beard
17:13 Jan 15, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
05:48 Jan 10, 2022

Hello! This was a very nice story. It was well structured and it was very heartwarming of Lily conversing with her toys. I loved reading it.

Reply

Melony Beard
22:37 Jan 11, 2022

Thanks so much for your kind comments and for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.