0 comments

General

I always wondered if I had done something different said something different or had said nothing at all would it have made a difference now? What happened you ask? Well you see it wasn't a big deal to most people they thought nothing of it however for me it will always stay with me.

I was twelve years old I was playing with my cousins at my great grandmother's house she lived in the country and had a good size patch of trees that we would play hid and seak in. This was the time before mobile phones were everywhere and every five year old could work them. We were having a summer party for the family and there was a lot of us. It was cousin Eva's turn to be it the sky was developing beautiful shades of reds and pinks as the sun was setting while the other twelve ran all over the back property being weary of the woods I being a young boy looking to scary some people at night and a strong since of winning made a straight line to it walking along the thick edge I thought I had stayed close to the house and the others however i had wondered deep into a unknown area the canopy allowed little light to help guide me it became crepuscular hour in seconds. Worry and fear bubbled in my stomach as I released I lost my way the sun was gone the cold came like Jack frost came himself to smack me across the face. I start to shiver as I walk to the only light I could see about less then two hundred feet ahead of me I took a seat next to a fallen tree in the shadow of the moon casting a hazy penumbra coming enough area to sheild me from the terrors creeping around me. I could feel eyes on me it ate away at me I stay there for hours crying in silence hoping someone had noticed my disappearance. When I had no tears left and I found my eyes dropping from exhaustion was when I could hear it a small voice I can never pinpoint where it came from but it slowly grew into a orotund voice was a deep drift in the air brushing up against my ear sending a cold horrifying chill down my spine. Then bomb it was in my ear I was so shocked I peed my pants and took off running somehow I got back to to house the sun setting casting beautiful red hues painting across the sky.

From that day on i never went into the woods I was terrified and embarrassed beyond imagined. I told my mom what happened no one listen but great grandma told me a story I never want to hear again. I fear not speak it but I will tell you no one should ever step door in a cursed land such as that maybe if I had told some one so many lives would have been saved just maybe someone would have listened.

October 16, 2019 22:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.