0 comments

Fiction Drama Friendship

Tami rushed into the room, the biggest smile on her face. “Guess what?” She plunked down on the couch next to Amber.

With a sigh, Amber put the bookmark back in her book and closed it. “What are you so excited about?”

“I’m going to throw Cindy a surprise birthday party!” She clapped her hands excitedly, then hopped off the couch and practically ran down the hall.

Amber closed her eyes, wishing she could go back in time and not hear Tami's plan to surprise their friend Cindy. Secrets were not something she could keep. And living with Cindy meant, at some point, she would ask a question that would lead to the surprise party.

Picking up her book again, Amber tried to focus on the words, but she found herself glancing at the clock as the minutes ticked by. Twenty more minutes, and Cindy would be home. She should hide in her room. This way she wouldn’t even have to talk to Cindy.

She closed her book and got up off the couch just as Tami walked past and grabbed her jacket off the hook. “Where are you going?”

“I have to get supplies. I only have two days before the big day.” She slipped her arms into her jacket and picked up her purse.

“Have you even invited anyone yet?”

“Well, no. But I’m sure when everyone hears about it, they will come. You can help me spread the word. I’ll make little postcards you can hand out.” She dug around in her purse, smiling when she pulled a set of car keys from its contents. “Be back shortly.”

Tami opened the door and stepped outside. The door had barely clicked shut when Cindy came bounding in, a scowl on her face.

“Tami is way too happy.” She threw her purse on the counter and kicked off her shoes.

“Yep.” Amber nodded her head and turned to escape into her bedroom.

“I wonder why. Do you know?” Cindy plunked down on the couch and propped her feet on the coffee table.

Amber stopped mid-stride “umm… Yes.” she tried once again to retreat to the comfort of her room.

“Are you going to tell me?”

This time she spun to flash Cindy a big fake smile. “Nope. I have to get to my room.” She made a beeline for the bedroom, but Cindy was faster than she expected.

Within seconds she was right behind her. “Tell me what she’s up to.”

Why did the hallway all of a sudden seem so long? “She's planning something.”

“Is she planning something for my birthday?”

Amber stopped and took a deep breath before turning to face her friend. “Yes. Now please stop asking me questions.” She turned and continued her trek down the hall. Cindy followed along behind.

“What is it? What’s she planning?”

There it was, the dreaded question she was trying to avoid. She couldn’t lie, and telling the truth meant revealing Tami’s secret. With her bedroom door in sight, she quickened her pace. “She’s planning…” The rest of Amber’s words squeaked by on a whisper so quiet Cindy couldn’t possibly hear.

“What did you say?”

Amber reached her bedroom and quickly retreated inside. She slammed the door shut in Cindy’s face. A little rude, but it was better than ruining the surprise.

“I couldn’t hear you, Amber. What did you say?” Cindy knocked on the closed door. Obviously not deterred by her sudden rudeness.

A gargled mumble seeped through the door, but nothing that Cindy could understand. Amber flopped down on her bed, exhausted from trying not to lie and keep the surprise party a secret at the same time. This was all Tami’s fault. Now she would have to avoid Cindy for the next two days.

Amber bolted upright in the bed as she remembered she was supposed to drive Cindy to work tomorrow. How on earth would she avoid all her questions?

The night dragged on, and Amber hardly slept at all. She was so worried about the car ride that the alarm on the bedside stand made her heart jump with its annoying beeping. She slapped the button, quieting the room once more, and crawled out of bed.

She dressed and marched out to the kitchen where Cindy was sipping on a cup of coffee. Amber grabbed her purse and turned to look at Cindy. “I will drive you to work, but you may not ask me what Tami is planning, or I will drop you on the side of the curb.”

Cindy nodded her head in agreement with her mouth hanging open. She traded her coffee cup for a briefcase as she followed Amber out the door.

Five minutes into the car ride, the questions started. Cindy cleared her throat. “So, Tami is planning something for my birthday?”

Amber cast her a sideways glance. “yes.”

“Is it a gift?”

“No. I thought you agreed not to ask me about it?”

“No. I agreed not to ask you directly what she was planning. I’m playing twenty questions now.”

Amber knew she was in trouble. Sooner or later, Cindy would get it out of her. That’s what she gets for being so precise. “Fine. Ask your questions.”

Cindy beamed a smile. “Is it alive?”

“No.”

“Is it something for the kitchen?”

“No.”

Cindy frowned and took a moment to come up with the next question. “Is it something outside?”

Now it was Amber’s turn to frown. Tami hadn’t given her any details about the party. “I’m not sure.”

“What do you mean you're not sure?”

“Well, I wasn’t given a whole lot of details.” Amber turned the car into the parking lot and parked in the first available spot.

“You are making this difficult. Wait, does it involve a lot of people?”

“Maybe.” It was an honest answer because she didn’t really know how many people would show up. She turned off the car and stepped out.

“I know what it is! A surprise party. Tami is planning a surprise birthday party.” Cindy jumped out of the car with a big smile on her face.

Amber’s shoulders slumped. Tami was going to be so mad at her. “Cindy, do you think you could still act surprised, so Tami doesn’t find out you know?”

Cindy stopped her celebratory dance and drew her eyebrows together. “Yes. I think keeping the fact that I know a secret is a good idea.” She gave Amber a little hug, and they went inside the building.

Two days later, the surprise party was a big success. Cindy did an amazing job of acting shocked and surprised, and Tami never found out she knew about it. Another secret Amber would have to try to keep.

January 12, 2021 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.