0 comments

Drama Fiction Science Fiction

The morning was as usual. Sparrows were chirping loudly from the nearby tree. Ana was brushing her teeth hastily as she woke up late. Her mother was busy cooking in kitchen. Her father and brother already left for their work. It's her sister and her only. She will drop her at her school on her way to college.

"Mamma, what are you doing?" She gulped the milk left on table. Her sister was munching dry toast while sitting on table. Martha is opposite of anxious Ana. While Ana loves to hush in everything Martha is an expressive one.

In few minutes, two sisters were driving on the road. The country side of Manali is breathtakingly beautiful. Ana and Martha, both misses their home a lot. Due to their study schedule, most of their weekends spend in their cozy loud hostel room. They misses the silence.

Ana let out a sigh. Martha was scrolling through her phone. Suddenly Ana felt her phone beeping. With one hand holding the steering, she peeked at the screen with the other hand.

"What is this?" She yelled out.

Martha took the phone from her hand.

There was a broken heart emoji on the screen lock. How's that possible? Not on any messenger or on WhatsApp or any other chatting App, the emoji was blinking brightly on the screen lock.

Martha hastily opened the phone. The heart was in the centre of the screen, looking like a sore amidst the apps.

"What have you done?" She looked back at her sister who has pulled over. With frowning eyebrows, she was biting her perfectly tainted lips.

"Maybe some glitch. Forget it ". She stucked the phone in back seat. Ana looked back at it once. She bought it recently after working blood and flesh in that cafe. If this gives up now, she will be over.

"What are you waiting?" Martha blow the horn to break her trance. Ana started driving again.

Their college is in heart of Shimla. With tall sky kissing trees around, the university campus is one heaven on earth.

Ana was sitting under a tree shed. Her fingers were playing over her newly bought android. It's Singsong XoS. She and Martha read lots of reviews before bringing this piece of beauty home.

But why it's acting weird? The broken heart emoji is no longer beaming on the screen. She checked her apps and all are working absolutely fine.

She kept it aside. Her eyes were staring at the crowd bustling in from of the notice board. Must have been hovering over final year results.

A thin grin filled her face.

"Tjkm"

Hee phone rang again. Her message tone is saying she got a message. She lift it up and there was no need to open the phone.

A huge smile emoji was blinking brightly on the screen now. She dropped the phone from her trembling hand. Just what's going on!! How come her phone again showing some emoji on the screen?

"Hey, you have dropped your phone." A tall boy striding alone towards her. He picked the phone from the ground and kept it beside her. She was feeling anxious. Perspiration was dripping all over her face.

"Hey, are you all right?" He quipped up.

"Yes, I am fine." She lied back and grabbed her phone and ran away without looking anywhere.

She came inside her hostel room and bolt up on her bed. It's smelling badly, seems like none washed it before the holidays started. She was staring back at her phone. And taking her heart out, she saw a scary emoji developing slowly on the screen.

Ana never believed in ghost or paranormal activity. Why believe in something that cannot be seen? But right now what's happening in front of her eyes is not something she can say normal. Seems like her phone is deciphering her emotional state.

In the car, the broken heart appeared when she was feeling sad about leaving her hometown. Then the smiley came followed by this emoji.

Her heart was jumping inside her chest. How's it possible that a non living thing is emoting human feelings?

I know you. I feel your emotions.

Lines were forming through the screen. Ana knew she is not typing anything. But the phone in her hand is replying to questions playing in her mind.

"But you are just a hand phone. How could you react on your own?"

Ana yelled out. She was scared to death with the situation. She wanted to go out but seems like her legs are not ready to leave yet.

I enjoy being with you. I have learnt things from you. It's a pleasure to have you as friend.

It's either the phone or her stupid brain, one of the either has stopped working. Right now she is happily chatting with her android who loves her as it's friend. Is it even real?

"Ana, are you inside?" Ana heard someone knocking the door.

"Yes!" Ana spoke up but no voice came out. "Yes." She quipped again.

Dont leave now. I am enjoying our little talks.

Again lines brushed against the screen. Ana don't know what do with this insane metallic piece who is playing with her. Also she feels like she is trapped in her bed. Neither her voice is working nor her legs are.

Ana, this conversation with you is something I was planning a lot ago. I am loving it ❤️.

Ana felt her body trembling terribly from the inexplicable unplanned trepidation that is beeping in front of her. But all she could do now is feel as her limbs have given up.

The dark room felt like shrinking over her.

"Please, let me go." She murmured, pleading it .

Ana, don't get scared. I am your friend.

The trash sounded like celebrating over her tear smitten face.

Ana had realised one thing- if she couldn't find ways to move this non living thing will suck out her last breath while laughing.

She skimmed through the room to check a loophole. One who was banging the door has left already.

She thought that it's reciprocating her thinking. She needs to play carefully to evade from its clutch. To make herself work, she need to ease down.

She felt her legs moving a bit again. She sprang up from her bed, but her head banged hard on the closed door.

Her phone fell down from the bed.

Where are you going my friend? We still have so many things to talk.

Ana knew she was locked inside the hell of this living machine. And she just don't know the exit?

"Aghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

February 24, 2021 11:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.