0 comments

General

As he scrolled the inbox on his email, Brad saw an email from his book publisher. Excited, he quickly clicked to open it. There in black and white, he found the most exciting news ever. His first book has been published and is ready for launching!

                            He was overwhelmed with emotion and choked on himself. He found tears emerging from his eyes. Tears of joy! He could not contain himself. After seven years of gruelling work of crafting his book, he thought the worst was behind him and started to look for a good publisher.

                             As the publisher got the steps of editing and proofreading and so on, his patience began to wear thin. Finally, after so many years, his book will be seeing the light of the day! His dream had come true!

                             Grabbing his cell phone, he quickly called his wife. "Darling, you know what? My book is published and is ready! Can you believe it? Finally!"

"Thanks be to God Brad! I am so happy for you. Did you hear from the publisher? When are they planning the book launch? Tell me early so that our kids and I can make it. Did you tell Mum and Dad?"

"No, dear, I am calling you first. I'll call them next."

                      Brad was a first-author. He juggled his job, family and writing with much difficulty for the past few years. He had a lot of support from Lucy and their two little boys. The freelance writing he did was close to his heart. Brad felt blessed to get full support from his beloved wife Lucy and their two boys.

                     Things moved at a frenetic pace from then on. The publisher gave him some choices regarding the Book Launch program. Being a firm believer in the Lord, Brad and family opted to have a Prayer and faith-based program. They had listed prayers, the Word of God as well as some time for Brad to share his testimony about how he managed to complete his writing. They had called a good friend of theirs who was a man of God to come and share the Word with them. Between Brad, Lucy and the publisher, they selected a modest crowd of about 100 invitees.

                           They sat together and decided on a venue and date for the event. The publisher got an event manager to get the things rolling. The invitations were sent both by email and social media as well as by snail mail. The acceptances were rolling in too.

                             Brad was trying hard to finish his work commitments so he can be free to concentrate on his event. Both Lucy and he ranked this as a life turning event for them. Even their kids got infected and became excited.

                              The launch date was set on the Easter weekend. It would be a long weekend for many of the invitees. April 11th, the Holy Saturday was the day. The preparations were on full swing.

                               Suddenly disaster struck them. The novel neo Coronavirus was spreading. The disease was called COVID 19 Starting in Wuhan province of China in November 2019, it became a pandemic in China, very soon. Then it started spreading to different countries. It became a Pandemic by late March 2020. Governments were forced to announce lockdown prohibiting public meetings.

                               The health officials advocated: physical distancing of at least 2 meters, constant handwashing for at least 20 seconds, as well as the use of masks and face shields. Their government was forced to announce a lockdown from April 1st of that year. They said it would be enforced for a month, for now. No public meetings of any sort, the regulations said.

                                Brad and Lucy were devastated. What can they do now? All their dreams shattered. They had to postpone their launch event. Postpone to which date? That also could not be decided now. Everything had been shaping up so nicely. Their launch program was to be perfect with many guests confirming. Now, sadly they began the unwelcome task of informing all of them that the event was postponed indefinitely. They asked them to pray for them. Many of their friends empathized with them and called to share their dismay. But that didn't soften the blow they felt.

                                 Working from home became a norm for all. Brad, as well as Lucy, took turns to look after their boys, cook and work from home. They, like everyone else, could not go to any meetings. No one could visit them. Nor could they visit anyone.

                                 Things were becoming depressing, especially for Brad. "What dark times are we in? Why O Lord? Why now. Could you not have positioned this pandemic by a month or so?" he haggled with God as he prayed.

                                 Days dragged on. These were especially difficult days for Brad as he was an outgoing,  backslapping sort of fellow. To be tied into a sort of house arrest was something Brad could not stand.

                                 The severity of the pandemic made it mandatory for all to stop gathering in one place. So the churches started online services. Brad found it irritating to sit in front of a system or a laptop and do church. He was used so much to go to a large gathering. He used to enjoy the fellowship with friends and visitors during church services.

                                  Palm Sunday went by with only online services. The special Meditation on the Seven Words uttered from the cross, which was to be held on Good Friday was also held online.

                                  Finally, it was the 11th of April, Holy Saturday. The day was dull and dreary outside. Brad felt gloomy. "It was today, that my Book Launch was to have taken place," he mused. He day-dreamed about the Book launch event as they had planned it.  As the day continued, dull and dark thoughts crowded his mind.

                           "I am a failure. Even a simple book launch event of mine cannot be held. It is postponed. Indefinitely. Will it be ever held? Will I be able to launch my book, ever?"

                             To add to his discomfiture, Lucy was busy with some online supervision work for her school and could not give time to him. She also had to babysit and cook as they had no help coming in due to the lockdown.

                              So, Brad was alone. He felt alone. In more ways than one. He opened his Bible to seek some solace but shut it down again. He was feeling far from his faith and didn't feel like reading it. The dark blue waves continued to flow over Brad and engulf him.

                               He was sinking into despair slowly.

"Is there any respite for me? Will my book and I be abandoned by all people? Do I have to just sit by myself and do nothing about all this?"

                               He felt powerless, abandoned and alone. "Is there any use of me and my life for anyone? My presence or absence, will it make any difference to people? If not, is it necessary for me to bear this agony and live on? Why should I prolong my life? I might as well die."

                               The weather outside mirrored Brad's inner feelings. It grew dark in the middle of the afternoon as dark clouds gathered ominously. Lightning preceded thunders. Brad had to close his ears. The pitter-patter of the raindrops grew louder, and a deluge of rain battered their home. The boys were in the nursery upstairs and Lucy was busy with her online Webinar for teachers.

                                Brad happened to be all alone as these dark events unfolded both inside and outside of him. He snapped finally. Stumbling into the kitchen, he opened the poison cupboard. There they had stored the pesticides and other vermin poisons. He clutched a bottle of pesticide and came out.

                                Sitting in his den, he felt unreal. "Is this happening to me?" he was asking himself as he drained the liquid into a tumbler. he was about to swallow the contents in a and move to destroy himself.

                             His cell phone chirped. "Who could be calling me at this time?" thought Brad as he got distracted.

"Yes, Brad speaking..."

"Good afternoon Brad. How are you? I am Pastor Colin. Hope things are well with you. I was praying when I felt strongly that I had to call and speak to you. Is anything the matter?"

"Uh. Nothing Pastor. Praise the Lord. Thank you for calling me," replied Brad reluctantly.

“I feel strongly in my spirit that I should share a Bible verse with you, dear Brad. Please hear me out."

                          Reluctantly Brad put his tumbler down, settled in his chair.

"Yes Pastor, speak on. I shall listen."

"Well Brad, I feel compelled to do this. You will find these words in Jeremiah 29:11. 'For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for the welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.' Did you hear me? Brad.?"

"Yes. Yes, I did," muttered Brad as tears spilt out from his eyes and started streaming his face.

                           The dark clouds within him seemed to have been drifted away by the refreshing wind of the Spirit. He felt enlightened, encouraged and alive! After he put the phone down Brad cried bitterly, for a few minutes. He immediately knelt down in prayer.

                          "Dear Father God! Forgive me for almost taking my own life. I am made in your image and have been redeemed by you. Thank you for sending me your word through your servant Pastor Colin. I repent of my sin. I am turning back from it. I want to trust you O Lord!"

                          Brad got up and was pouring out the pesticide into the sink. "Eek! what is that foul odour I can smell here?" questioned Lucy as she walked in.

                            "What has happened to you, Brad? I am so sorry I was wrapped up in my Webinars. Am out of touch with you."

                            Brad turned to face Lucy. "I am also so sorry Lucy, I never felt so alone and despairing as this afternoon. The dark weather added to it. I was grieving as it were about my Book Launch, which was to be today, remember? The depression was so severe that I was about to take some pesticide. But the Lord made Pastor Colin called me just in time. Just in time dear. He had a wonderful verse for me, from Jeremiah 29:11. That pulled me out of my deep misery. Am so thankful to God for this Lucy. I just finished praying and thanking God for it."

                              Now it was Lucy’s turn to weep. "Ohh! Darling! Am feeling so sad that though I was here at home, this had to happen. Will be more careful and sensitive from now on." She continued to sob.

                             "Now I have no more worries, Lucy. Our good Lord will look after everything. Our responsibility is not to worry or fret but we need only to pray and place our trust in Him."

                              "True indeed Darling. I am so happy you have been restored to me." They hugged each other and prayed together again. Brad's mobile chirped twice. He picked it up and heard.

"Wow! that is good news indeed. Thank you so much."

Lucy was eager. "Who was it Brad and what is it?"

                "Things are becoming better for us. My agent rang me to say that there is a lot of demand on social media for my book, even before it is launched. I thank and praise God, Lucy. He is so great and loves us so much!"

            "Surely. He will find us a good date in His time to launch the book. Maybe we can start prelaunch selling on the net?"

"That is exactly what the agent was suggesting Lucy! Oh, I feel so happy now. Thank God again form preventing from making the most foolish mistake of my life."

"Surely, your first book launch will be memorable, Brad."

June 18, 2020 08:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.