2 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Fantasy

Griff couldn't remember a time when the forest wasn't part of his life. For as long as he'd been alive, the emerald expanse behind his home had been his sanctuary. His mother had always said it was because they lived on the edge of a National Park that the forest felt almost magical. The towering pines seemed to hold centuries of secrets, and the rustling leaves whispered promises of adventure.

Every day after school, Griff would throw on his worn-out sneakers, grab a water bottle, and disappear into the labyrinthine woods. He cherished the solitude the forest offered, the serenity that washed over him as he walked beneath the arboreal canopy. Sunlight trickled down in scattered beams, painting patches of gold upon the forest floor. Birds offered a sweet symphony, while a nearby creek contributed a low, meditative hum.

On this particular day, Griff felt an urge to explore deeper into the forest than ever before. With each step, he left behind the familiar landmarks—Old Man’s Rock, Whispering Falls, and even the peculiar tree shaped like a question mark. The forest here seemed older, more secretive. Each crunch of his sneakers against the earth felt like a question asked, and the distant murmur of the woods felt like answers pending.

Just when Griff started to wonder if he should turn back, he stumbled upon something extraordinary. Hidden amongst the foliage was a rustic dwelling that seemed as though it had grown organically from the forest itself. A quaint cabin made of weathered wood stood amidst a grove of towering trees. A garden full of herbs and vegetables lay to one side, while a small pond shimmered on the other.

Amazed by his discovery, Griff ventured closer. Before he could knock, the door creaked open, and an old man stepped out. His eyes were like fragments of the clear sky, and his white beard resembled the plumage of a snowy egret. His face was lined like the rings of the ancient trees surrounding them.

"Ah, a visitor! It’s been a long while since anyone’s come this far," the old man said, his voice warm and inviting.

"I’m Griff," the boy replied, taking in the sight of the homestead. "I didn't mean to trespass. I just love exploring the forest, and I never knew this place was here."

The old man chuckled. "Trespassing? This land belongs to everyone and no one. I'm George, by the way."

With that, George invited Griff inside for a cup of herbal tea. The cabin's interior was as charming as its exterior. A cozy fireplace adorned one wall, and wooden shelves filled with books and trinkets lined another. Pots of herbs hung from the ceiling, filling the room with an earthy aroma.

As they sat by the hearth, George began to talk about his life in the woods—how he’d left behind the chaos of the outside world years ago to live a simpler, more fulfilling life.

"You see, young Griff," George said, looking into the flickering flames, "these woods are more than just trees and earth. They are a sanctuary where life moves at its natural pace. There’s wisdom here, tranquility that you won’t find anywhere else."

As Griff listened, captivated by George’s words, he felt a sense of peace envelop him. The old man's words resonated deep within his soul, adding a layer of understanding to his own feelings about the forest.

Just then, a sudden noise echoed from deeper within the woods—a sound neither man nor nature made. Griff and George exchanged a knowing look. The forest, it seemed, still had more secrets to reveal.

Both Griff and George stood up, their eyes meeting for a brief moment before they stepped out of the cabin. The sky had turned a dusky pink, and the forest was now bathed in twilight. Each leaf and twig seemed to shimmer in the soft glow, as if the world itself was holding its breath.

George looked at Griff. "Stay close," he cautioned, but there was a twinkle in his eyes that belied his serious tone.

They followed the sound, stepping over roots and maneuvering through the thick foliage. As they delved deeper, Griff couldn't shake the feeling that they were not alone—that the forest itself was watching them. Every rustle in the bushes, every snap of a twig added to the growing sense of anticipation.

Finally, they reached a clearing where moonlight streamed down, spotlighting a large, smooth stone in the center. It was unlike anything Griff had ever seen in the forest. The rock had a pulsating glow, as if it contained the very heartbeat of the earth.

"That's...amazing," Griff whispered, looking at George for an explanation.

George grinned. "Ah, you've found it—the Heartstone. Legend has it, this is the oldest part of the forest, the point from which all life here emanates."

As they stood there, captivated by the Heartstone, the mysterious noise sounded again. But this time, it was harmonious—a soothing hum that seemed to come from the stone itself.

Griff looked at George, his eyes wide with wonder. "What does it mean?"

George put a finger to his lips. "Ah, the forest never reveals all its secrets at once. Perhaps it's a signal, an invitation for further exploration, or maybe it's something else altogether. One thing's for sure, the Heartstone comes alive for a reason, though what that reason is, well, that's for you to ponder."

They returned to the cabin, each lost in his own thoughts. As Griff said his goodbyes and started the journey back home, he felt different, as if the forest had bestowed upon him a piece of its eternal wisdom.

Days turned into weeks, and Griff found himself visiting George and the Heartstone often, each visit adding a new layer to his understanding of the forest and himself. George became more than just a hermit in the woods; he became a mentor, a friend, and a fellow explorer of life's great mysteries.

Years later, long after George had passed away and the cabin had become one with the forest, Griff stood alone in the clearing. The Heartstone pulsed with the same gentle glow, and as he touched its surface, the harmonious hum sounded once more.

With a smile, Griff looked up at the sky. The stars seemed to wink back, as if acknowledging the unspoken bond between him and the enigmatic depths of the forest. And although the mysterious sound had never fully revealed its meaning, Griff understood that not all questions needed answers—some simply needed to be marveled at.

As he turned to leave, a sudden thought flashed through his mind, filling him with warmth and happiness. Was he now the guardian of the forest's secrets, just like George had been? Or was the forest, in its timeless wisdom, the true guardian of them all?

He left the clearing with a sense of joy, carrying with him the enigmatic music of the forest—a song whose lyrics were penned in the language of wonder, inviting all who heard it to explore and interpret its eternal verses. And so, the forest remained a sanctuary of mysteries, as it had always been, and as it would always be.

September 18, 2023 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Corey Melin
17:53 Sep 23, 2023

Very well written. Flowed well in an environment I greatly love. My imagination skyrockets when I’m in the forest. Stress melts away as I look at the wonders. Quiet and peaceful. Great read

Reply

Gary Phipps
14:55 Sep 25, 2023

Thanks for the feedback Corey. I'm the exact same way when it comes to the forest vibes. I think most humans, even if they live in a city environment can feel the unique feeling that the forest gives us naturally. It's almost undeniable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.