Transformation – “a change that changes you”.

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

25 comments

General

                           Transformation – “a change that changes you”.

Transformation – “a change that changes you”. They say everything is constant in this world except change. Things change , people change, attitude changes but no one could define change as in what is it in real. Is it  that things change from outside or is it something that changes within us? .

With my life experience I feel that even when everything remains the same, something that changes within us that changes the course of our lives is called transformation. However, often the stimulant for this change is very painful so unbearable, when life takes away all hopes and all reasons to be alive, it’s the transformation within that somehow seeks a purpose to move on  even when there is no reason the mind could decipher.

Our family has always been very close to each other , we cannot claim it to be a perfect or a happy family but still there has been some bond that has tied us together for the time it is destined for us.

As in the case of our sister, a noble doctor by profession , highly qualified , great in academics , extra – ordinary intelligence and gifted with so many talents and abilities , she was someone who was full of life.

Her nickname was “Dabboo”, though it is not a very popular name but it is adored by all of us as it made us more affectionate towards her. As a family, we all have always had a keen interest in carrying out religious practices and rituals , as religion is something more about faith so we have always tried to be with this faith.

“Faith” is a very testing and difficult feeling with its own set of trials . Its more easier to lose faith than to live with faith. The “Firmness” is tried many times, “Faith” is at times clouded by its own set of “DOUBTS” and ”FEARS” and one does not know the “result” unless it is out.

As in a examination, one knows the result only after it is out so “FAITH’ also has to prove itself by its “OUTCOME’.

Our sister was the lifeline for our family. She had a great friend circle , great things to look forward in life.

Be it keen interest in the design of clothes that she would wear , her choice of “Kurtas”, or “Jackets” from an exclusive store based in Delhi by the name “KHADI GRAM UDYOG”, or a tasty treat to spicy “SAMOSAS- Potato snack” , and “JALEBIS – sweet flour dish” of her favourite shopping stop “SAROJINI NAGAR “ market. She was very fond of travelling to different places in the world….as she was a successful doctor, she was awarded at national and international conferences in many different countries for her outstanding contribution in field of medicine …. Also she was awarded the commonwealth fellowship held at UK….Not only was she an excellent academician, she also had a very keen interest in decorating the house… I remember her having a beautiful collection of all the art pieces , souvenirs , wall hangings…..beautiful photo frames in which she had put all our family photos beautifully. The remarkable thing about her was that she was in love with life, even after getting married in a different town , she was in constant touch with all of us….

Family is a very strong unit that is necessary for an individual’s  growth and development. It’s a support system that one has. It is more about the love and responsibility that one feels , apart from being biologically connected to each other. So she was connected deep with us, from our hearts. Our sister was always by us and for us through every trial that we faced, our joys and our sorrows….she was always with us like a strong support to encourage us, to pull us up, in every possible way – emotionally, mentally, and physically.

I remember her handing over her entire purse to me whenever I needed any money, without even asking how much money I took. Whenever , she came to visit us she would always make sure of making us something delicious food out of her cuisine comprising of various dishes. She made sure she learnt from various recipes to make edible dishes just too delicious !!

But good things don’t last forever , nor did her love and affection for us. We lost her 2 years back due to a deadly disease which she had fought with like a brave fighter that she was for 5 long years. Even during her last days , she struggled very hard to carry on but somehow her body gave up.

I can never forget the tears in her eyes, during the last painful days in the hospital. One could make out the helplessness, the fears, the anger, the regret, the pain, the delusion, the unfulfilled wishes and the thousand of other emotions that she got through during her painful journey. She wanted to live, to be healthy, to travel, to finish her book that she wrote for welfare of her patients, but time is too strong for us and it leaves us speechless.

After her leaving us, our family lost all our faith on God, on humanity, on man, on relationships, on every possible human emotion. We became void of any hope or faith…the pain was too hard to bear. Maybe it was a transformation time for us to get rid of impractibility, blind faith, rituals that everyone followed without questioning, to get rid of our pride and prejudice.

Maybe it was time to let go of the “Old” and become “New”. New faith, new belief system, to believe in ourselves a bit “more”. My eldest sister after going through endless pain and depression has somehow mustered up all the strength she had to again try to start living a normal life. She is supporting us as a family, trying to fulfill all her  responsibilities towards us. The dreams that were left unfinished we are trying to fulfill them, be it her book, her school , or carrying her name forward.

My mother, after spending hours and hours of crying, is trying to pull us back as a family together. She is engaging herself in art and craft work, drawing , painting, needlework. Our brother too is trying his best to better himself as a person. Life has never been the same , nor it will ever be. We have formed a (Trust- NGO) under her name to carry out welfare activities for children, old people and the needy. She always wanted to be happy, smiling, healthy, be surrounded by her loved ones, open up a school for herself, so we are trying to build a school of her dreams and are teaching young tiny tots to live a life like her….full of smiles, courage, positivity, hard work and confidence.

Things don’t change, basically its  our attitude towards them that changes and that’s what “Transformation “is all about.

Yes, transformation is about “pain”, we just have to learn the art of transforming that “Pain” into “Purpose” and if we can ………”TRANFORMATION IS WORTH THE DEAL”


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

May 29, 2020 08:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Aron Sraj
13:09 Jun 05, 2020

Someone left us, and left a very painful hole in our chest. These kind of transformation supposed to fulfil that hole or our strong faith, belief…?!? I am not sure anymore… Maybe this family lost their rituals and daily routines of their faith but they strongly believe in Her and so on in their God… I miss Her smile… Great writing with each word has a meaning

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
13:14 Jun 05, 2020

Thank you so much , as you were a crucial part of her journey I'm sure you understand

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barry Litherland
07:45 Jun 04, 2020

A moving tale. It raises the question, 'how many times can we transform and progress after tragedy before we can't do it any more?' Not something I've faced yet, but something I can understand. This is a thought-provoking piece of writing which I enjoyed reading.

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
16:01 Jun 04, 2020

Yup thats true and thanks so much for liking my piece ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mukesh Kumar
07:05 Jun 03, 2020

Yes..Most painful time in life is Journey from Illness to Departure.. that gives touched emotions... Yes departure also gives strength to bear and to proceed further.. Hence Almighty of God has given strength to establish your Enterprise.....

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
11:20 Jun 03, 2020

Thanks so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laxmi Singh
07:30 Jun 02, 2020

We can surely feel reading this journey of painful to purposeful....

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
08:51 Jun 02, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:42 Jun 01, 2020

Wowooo so nice 👌

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
02:36 Jun 02, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ravi Joshi
17:14 Jun 01, 2020

True..."transformation " most of the time happens as a result of some painful experience...very heart touching content

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
18:11 Jun 01, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Saman Snehi
17:04 Jun 01, 2020

This is truly heartbreaking on one hand and adorable on the other! Losing a family member is a thing which only they can understand who have gone through this crisis. However, feels very good to know that there are family members in today’s world also who dedicate their lives fulfilling their loved one’s dreams.

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
18:12 Jun 01, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neha Agrawal
16:41 Jun 01, 2020

Very nice

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
18:36 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Waqar Abbas
16:35 Jun 01, 2020

♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vinay Dubey
16:26 Jun 01, 2020

Great ...very nice

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
18:12 Jun 01, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Waqar Abbas
16:24 Jun 01, 2020

A great writer 👍

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
18:12 Jun 01, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amcomputech Sol
16:21 Jun 01, 2020

Very nice 👍

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
18:36 Jun 01, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kulbhushan Bhatt
10:45 Jun 15, 2020

Very well written. Each word illustrates the emotions and feelings. It explains in a positive manner the way transformation makes us to grow both spiritually and emotionally.

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
07:15 Jun 16, 2020

thank you so much .....it means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.