24 comments

Drama Creative Nonfiction Friendship

Under normal circumstances, Enzo wouldn’t talk to strangers on elevators. He would lean against the cold metal, gripping the bronze handle to the point of white knuckles, and hum along to the cheesy music under his breath. 

But these weren’t normal circumstances. 

He entered the platform, his bulking figure taking up almost half of the space. Cradling the bag of pistachios with one hand, he used the other to type in the floor number. As the doors were closing, he heard a grunt from behind them. 

A thin, scrawny man skittered into the elevator just before the doors slid into place. The man had a gaunt face with an uncontrollable case of quavering. In his hand, he dragged a big black trash bag. He cleared his dry throat and turned away. A shinier version of himself appeared in the gray metal before him. And, despite Enzo’s disgust, he hugged the trash bag close to his chest. 

Enzo was a statue, sizing up the man from three feet away. He tossed another pistachio into his mouth, the loud crunch bouncing off the walls. Floating uselessly around the elevator was the Pink Panther theme song, which Enzo thought was very fitting. Considering the rat man across from him was probably holding stolen goods. 

Throwing pistachio after pistachio into his mouth, Enzo finally noticed the man staring at him with his snack, licking his dry lips every so often. 

Enzo was suspicious of strangers, but he wasn’t gonna let him starve. 

“Here,” Enzo said, flinging a hazel seed in his direction. 

The man caught it in his wrinkled hands, devouring it and then licking up the excess salt. He was too invested in the small kindness to say thank you. 

Enzo shifted on his feet. “So when’s the last time you’ve eaten?” 

“Not long ago,” the man stuttered, and Enzo realized he was actually younger than he appeared. 

“Why are you here?” Enzo asked, just as the elevator jerked to a stop and the music cut out like somebody had muted the world. 

The man cursed clearly, not bothering to give Enzo an apologetic look. He inched over to the array of buttons, randomly punching them with his palm. None of them lit up. He groaned, returning quickly to his black plastic bag which he had left unguarded. 

“You’re a thief, aren’t you?” 

The man ignored Enzo once again, banging his fists against the elevator. “Touché,” he muttered, but it was lost in the hopeless pounds for help. 

“What’s in the trash bag?” Enzo asked, his eyes glued to it. 

The man turned to face him, beads of sweat dripping down his face. “Help me. The power is out. We need to make noise.” 

Enzo dropped a pistachio that was headed for his mouth. “What? Really?” he strode over to the man, slamming his outstretched hands on the metal. “Help!” he screamed, “Help, help, help!” 

The man covered his ears and scrunched up his nose. They were stuck. 

An hour later, both pairs of hands were sore, and they were almost out of pistachios. They lay at the bottom of the elevator, sprawled out. Enzo’s ginormous build next to the man’s tiny one. 

By then, Enzo was convinced he was going crazy. His hand was intertwined with the other man’s. “So what’s your name? Mine is Enzo.” 

“Enzo,” the man echoed, “my name is Logan.” 

Enzo frowned, “I’ve heard that name before.” 

“Have you?” Logan asked, biting down on one of their last seeds. 

Enzo was quiet. All he could think about was the dull elevator ceiling, too-salty pistachios, and his large hand holding Logan’s shriveled one. He thought about his life, and how great it was going to get. But now they were stuck in a small elevator, headed nowhere, and they were probably going to die. 

“You’re new to this city,” Logan noticed. 

Enzo sighed, “Yeah. I was just moving in. To this building, actually.” 

“Hmm,” Logan picked excess pistachio out of the crevasses in his mouth. “But you were headed to Mr. Jones’ office. The last floor. Why?” 

Enzo’s eyebrows raised slightly at Logan’s observations. “I’m about to pick up my key.” 

Logan smiled. “I’m about to drop off my key.” 

“You’re leaving the city?” 

“Yeah. I came here with big dreams. It’s been three years, and I’ve accomplished nothing at all. Moving back in with my parents.” Logan bit his lip, grasping a handle of the trash bag. 

Enzo blinked slowly. “So what’s in the bag?” 

“My stuff.” 

“Oh.” Enzo couldn’t believe he thought this guy was a criminal before. “Don’t leave,” he blurted out before his tongue could catch the nonsense. Caring about strangers was probably one of the side effects of starvation. He honestly couldn’t think at the moment. 

A smile stretched on Logan’s lips. “I have to leave.” 

“No, you don’t.” 

“Yes, I do.” 

“Nope.” 

“Shut up.” 

Logan ended the conversation with his arms folded across his chest. 

Loud voices called Enzo out of his sleep. He couldn’t remember falling asleep, but his hand was still twisted with Logan’s, who was snoring loudly. 

“Can you hear us?” someone shouted from beyond the elevator. 

Logan twitched awake. Enzo’s jaw was dropped open. 

“Yes, we can hear you!” he called. 

Logan’s eyes were wide, although he was still groggy. “Saved?” he asked, yawning. 

“Saved,” Enzo confirmed, getting to his feet. He helped Logan up too. 

The voice came on again. “This is the city fire department. We’re here to help. What we need you to do is try and push the doors apart. We’ll be pushing from the other side. If there is anyone who should not be pushing because of injuries, we ask you to just stay still.” 

Both Enzo and Logan pushed. It wasn’t enough. 

“Step back, Logan,” Enzo commanded. 

Logan refused. 

Enzo picked him up by the back of his shirt and set him down next to the trash bag. Logan wailed like a child. 

He then rammed into the doors and used his thick fingers to pry them open. They squeaked and metal scraped against metal. Finally, the doors slid aside. 

Logan yelped, scurrying out of the elevator with his bag, past the firefighters, and onto the marble ground. He kissed it repeatedly. 

Enzo wiped sweat off his forehead and stepped outside the elevator. A fireman grabbed his arm and led him to a corner. “Here,” he handed him bottled water. “You okay? We got the power working again.” 

Enzo inhaled slowly. He nodded, but was actually feeling the opposite. Heading over to Logan, he grabbed the tiny man’s arm. “Let’s go.” 

“Wait,” Logan said, standing up. “You’re here to collect the key for apartment 17A, right?” 

Confusion crossed Enzo’s face. “How’d you—” 

“Here,” Logan put his palm flat on Enzo’s and he could feel something small and metal. A key. 

The realization dawned on Enzo a moment too late. “I’m moving into your old apartment.” He exhaled in an unnecessarily rushed way. 

“The sink leaks,” was all Logan said before hauling his trash bag into another vacant elevator. 

“Wait!” Enzo exclaimed, darting forward to stop him. 

But Logan had already pressed the button. His smile was faraway, and it disappeared as soon as the elevator doors clicked close. 

September 06, 2020 14:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

16:28 Sep 06, 2020

This was powerful. I like the character you gave to me with Enzo and how his reaction was to the stranger. This story is perhaps one of my favorites from you and I think you actually grow with each story. Good work, Scout

Reply

Scout Tahoe
18:40 Sep 06, 2020

Thank you! I’m really trying to get better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Ward
21:57 Sep 16, 2020

What an interesting story, Scout. You really captured the revolving door of the big city. I love how you made two people who would otherwise be faceless and nameless to each other come to life in a moment where they are both just stuck.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
21:59 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you, Julie. I really appreciate you commenting. I’d love to check out a story of yours sometime soon. :)

Reply

Julie Ward
00:22 Sep 17, 2020

You're so welcome! I'm new here and I've written one story so far - for last week's prompt. I'd love your feedback!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:42 Sep 17, 2020

Of course, I’ll stop by. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Molly Leasure
22:49 Sep 13, 2020

I enjoyed this story. I thought it was interesting how Enzo went from an almost casual discomfort with Logan, to a casual comfort all in the span of a few hours (with little conversation). Sometimes it just takes being alone together to grow comfortable with someone. And in that way, it felt realistic, like it could happen to anyone and they might react in just the same way!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
23:04 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for saying that. Other comments made me believe it was unlikely. :)

Reply

Molly Leasure
23:35 Sep 13, 2020

They've never been trapped in a room with a stranger ;)

Reply

Scout Tahoe
00:58 Sep 14, 2020

Haha, exactly what I was thinking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sparkle Fingers
01:06 Sep 13, 2020

Truthful story. I liked it. Enzo, what an interesting name! I get that life is not perfect but I cannot help to be sad for Logan, he was going back to his parent´s house :( FUN FACT: My latest story also includes an apartment 17, would you mind checking and commenting it? Thank you :)

Reply

Scout Tahoe
02:34 Sep 13, 2020

Thanks! And haha, I’d love to check out your similar story! :)

Reply

Sparkle Fingers
17:42 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
August Jett
14:02 Sep 12, 2020

Wow, everything about this story was amazing. Your description, the way the dialogue flowed, and the escalation of panic as they realized that they were stuck. Great job, once again! -Helen

Reply

Scout Tahoe
14:07 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you, Helen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
05:14 Sep 07, 2020

This was a really nice story! I loved the characterization of Logan, and the real-life-ness of Enzo. Very well-written and keep writing!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
13:58 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Genevieve Taylor
21:33 Sep 06, 2020

Wow Scout this is incredible! This is definitely one of the best things I've read from you so far. I loved the characters and their different dynamics. The ending was fantastic. Stay safe and keep writing, xoxo, Vieve

Reply

Scout Tahoe
00:39 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you, Vieve. I absolutely love your way with words on the page and in comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
03:58 Sep 17, 2020

This was powerful.I like this.I like the character .Great job keep it up.Keep writing. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior art 2?”

Reply

Scout Tahoe
04:31 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you! And that’s funny, I was just about ready to read it. :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
04:35 Sep 17, 2020

Welcome.Yes that was funny.(would you mind giving a feedback in my story)Thanks.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
13:50 Sep 17, 2020

Of course, sometime this week.

Reply

The Cold Ice
13:58 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.