4 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

The humid air smells just like it did this very day last year. Except this time around, it’s heavy and dense, not the type of dense you’re thinking of but dense in a sad and cruel way. Exactly a year ago, the earth showed everyone no one is it’s master and that we are all only but a spec in its vast existence.


A year ago, this time, I was happily bopping to some up beat and vibrant sound track. This time last year, the shift had not yet occurred and this time last year, I was filled with so much optimism, hopes and dreams for what was to come but what I didn’t know this time last year was that the poem “ a dream deferred” would become my reality that the world would turn 360 degrees and this time last year, I never imagined a fresh start!


This time last year, it all started, the dark and mystical pandemic which would rage a world wide stir. If someone had told me that the world would be destroyed like this ;this time last year, I would have laughed in their face. But this time last year, it happened, the world was swept clean and at the same time stained with the smell of thick dark red bloody atmosphere . This time last year, if someone told me that over a million people would seize to exist, I would shake my head in disbelief. But this time a year later, that’s our reality, over a quarter of the world’s population is gone and it feels like they’ve vanished and all of a sudden, even UFO and alien stories seem more realistic than this deadly pandemic.


This time last year, my father looked me dead in my eyes and promised he would be present at my final university graduation! But this time last year, how could his sweet soul have known his life would be stolen from him by a death granting pandemic whose only aim is to destroy and shutter! Post last year, the harsh realities dawn on me, this time last year my life was perfect! And I didn’t even know it, this time last year, was my greatest life. My life was filled with butterflies and sunshine but post that year, it’s all gone dark and I can not seem to find light no matter where I look. The world has gone dark, life less and dull. The very colors I saw the world with this time last year, have turned grey and it never seems to stop snowing. It’s a rock and a hard place, never in between.


This time last year, my family came together and shared a sacred meal but only we didn’t know it was so special as it would be our last ever normal meal together. This time last year, if somebody had told me I would have to hide my beautiful smile through a mask I would think, “what a loon”. This time last year, if somebody would have told me that different countries of the world would go into “lock down” and that boarders would shut down in an attempt to protect it’s own people, I would have scoffed and honestly thought it ridiculous and selfish but a year later, ridicule and selfishness have become the driving force to survival.


This time last year, the world was my canvas and I could create my own paintings but post that year, I can not create as I have lost the control I once had. This time around, the power lies in the earth itself and no one knows were the paint brush is! However, these paintings the earth persistently paints are filled with dark humor and no one is laughing! This time last year, I never would have imagined that simple things such as walking down my own street or heading to the mall to see a movie with my friends would be considered a felony. This time last year, the beam that held the earth’s balance shifted and we all fell off! This time last year if I had seen constant tears in my eyes like this, I would have stayed in that time space and would have mastered time travel just so I wouldn’t have to see a year like this one!


This time last year, If you had told me that feeling down with the influenza virus symptoms would be considered a death trap, I would have never believed you! This time last year, I never imagined that a deadly virus would top the ones that already roam the world. And that this particular one would stray so far away that no one would understand it or even control it. This time last year, I had thought medicine around the world world had evolved to such great lengths that nothing would seem amiss to our medical personal. But low and behold, it hit! And we were all left dazzled by this novel virus. This time last year, the life chocker was born and its wrath has been felt by all corners of the world. This time last year, I never imagined that it would take a gap to bridge the gap of unity among people of the world. My life and well being in the hands of the next person. My survival dependent on how well they follow the guide lines. This time last year, I never imagined I would have to be my neighbor’s keeper


This time last year, If someone had told me that I would be all alone in this dark place, I would have opted out there and then because in this moment, my eyes cannot seem to find beauty in the world, my senses are dull and even the smell of roses brings me fear and anxiety as it resounds the deaths that have since occurred. My life is forever changed and in this moment, I wish nothing more than to go back to this time last year!

March 10, 2021 00:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Palak Shah
18:24 Mar 12, 2021

I love the use of repetition; it really makes the rhythm so much better. Good job Angela. I hope that we can be friends and I hope that you will check of some of my stories ~Palak Shah

Reply

Angela Halubobya
18:57 Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so much Palak and of course we could be friends and I’ll definitely check your stories out😊

Reply

Palak Shah
19:00 Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so much Have a good day :))

Reply

Palak Shah
09:58 Apr 15, 2021

Can you please read my latest story. Thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.