Cali’s Letter To Her Pen PAL

Submitted into Contest #38 in response to: Write a story about someone learning how to play an instrument. ... view prompt

6 comments

General

Hello to my Pen Pal in Maples,

Hey! My named is Cali and I love to play the violin. My mom just had a baby and he likes to hear me play my violin as well. My violin has a strings and a stick that you used to play across the strings. I am in grade four and take violin lessons from my teacher; he is a very good teacher and is very patient with me. Here is an recent story about playing music:

“Ok Cali, it is your turn to play in front of the class. What do you want to play first?” said her teacher. “I would like to play Happy Birthday for my cousin at home, for he is turning eight today!” “Ok then. Class dig out your instruments and we can help our classmate play for her cousin. Are you ready everyone? One, two three let’s start!” The sounds of violins filled the classroom with music as they played. The sounds of strings filled the air with soft music and the children sang happy birthday together. They practiced a few more times and then Cali was ready for her duet. She went home and showed her Mom and baby brother how well she played her duet and then she went over to her grandparent’s house and showed them too. Her classmates helped her practice, practice and practice.

“Cali! It is time to go!” said her mom. “Mom! Mom! Is the party ready yet?” replied her son. “Cali and Aunt May will be here soon and they are bringing baby Hunter too. I am so excited to see him” said Nate. “Yes, just a minute, everything will be ready. Did you practice your accordion yet?” Said his Mom. “Yes I did just need a little help first from Cali and then I am ready.” Said her son. “Ok, they should be here any minute now.” Said his Mom.

May and her kids pulled into the driveway. When Nate looked out the window, he saw his aunt and the kids had arrived for his party and was very excited to have them for a visit. He had the games all planned out for them and even cleaned up his room so his baby cousin could have a spot to play and listen to him and his sister play their instruments for the family. It is his birthday but he wanted to shared his special day with his cousins. So he dug out his accordion and asked his cousin Cali to help him play his duet for the family. He had practiced and practiced but just could not get the tune right on his accordion. So his cousin Cali helped him get it tuned in and they began their duet together on their instruments. His family and friends loved the music as they played and even the baby like it too.

So they all sang happy birthday to him as they played their instruments together. Then his cousin Cali practiced a new song for him and it was called “Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream and merrily, merrily life is like a dream”. Then all of a sudden her baby brother was giggling and laughing when she played her song on her violin. She didn’t think that it was good enough for her cousin, but he liked her violin and listened to the music she played. He was very happy about it and even wanted her to teach him how to play too and she did.

My cousin liked my song that I played on my violin for his birthday and we had a wonderful visit with him and his family. Now let’s talk about you, “Do you play music? What kind of music do you like?” She asked her friend in Maples. “What grade are you in? I have already told you what grade I was in. Is the weather nice there in Maples, I live in a little town of Nateville. The weather is very nice here and I liked to sit out on our front porch and play my Violin in the sunset. So relaxing. When I first learned how to play the violin, I was not very good and gave up quite easily but my Mom told me not to give up and keep trying and I will get it. I have been practicing for the last couple months and I still get stuck and my teacher helps me along the way and he helps me when I am stuck. We even practice Christmas music too and it is really fun. I do get nervous when I have to perform in front of the class. Mr. Tatter told me not to be nervous, just let the music flow as you play. When you are relaxed, the nervousness goesaway. Mr. Tatter is my music teacher and he is very good with his guitar. You know that he can play anything and sing anything. I liked Mr.Tatter and his teaching. We have all kinds of fun with the class and we even perform in front of the other classmates too, just so we can be ready for the music concert that we have every spring and then we save our money from our performances and buy things for our music program, like new instruments and music books. I love to be part of the music program and hopefully someday we can meet and we can play for you and your classmates too. Wouldn’t it be nice to put on a live performance for all of you in Maples and then maybe you guys can perform for us with your music and that would be a great idea to do, just think, a live performance to share between the schools and we can have a picnic too. What do you think about that idea and we can practice together learning to play our instruments or just sing or whatever you like to do with music. Anyways Mr.Tatter is telling us that the time is up for writing our letters to you and your classmates.

Until then, keep practicing your music and we will talk soon. Your Pen Pal, Cali

April 23, 2020 23:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Julie Rule
01:15 May 08, 2020

This was a very cute story. I could really picture this girl writing to her pen pal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kaylee Casutt
02:18 Apr 30, 2020

It was very cute, it was sweet to read about Cali and her PenPal, it reminded me when I did PenPals when I was that age. It was a very fun read. One suggestion I could give for your cute short story would be to find other ways to tag the dialogue to replace the word 'said' as that was used quite often. Some examples for that can be anything between the action of a character and then dialogue, or showing how they said it such as "she giggled" or "he mentioned" or if you still feel like you want to use 'said', you can use "she said excitedly" ...

Reply

Tina Laing
18:47 Apr 30, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, iam so happy that you like it!😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Aubin
00:28 Apr 24, 2020

A lovely story about a sweet little girl writing to her pen pal about playing music with her cousin on his birthday! Nateville sounds like a beautiful place to live.

Reply

T L
18:50 Apr 24, 2020

Your guys are my inspiration this week. Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
T L
23:42 Apr 23, 2020

It is about a girl who plays a Violin and she writes a letter to her Pen Pal about it playing her Voilin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.