0 comments

Fantasy Inspirational Romance

In the vibrant village of Nakawuka lived a hardworking, shy, and naïve girl named Malaika. She greeted everyone and played with the children she met. Each morning, she hummed songs while gathering firewood for her beloved grandmother. Daily, she found neatly stacked firewood and a basket of fruits accompanied by a note filled with compliments and encouragement. One day, intrigued by the gifts, she followed a path to a charming homestead, only to be startled by a man named Tembo, who tapped her on the back, causing her to faint.

Tembo looked at the unconscious girl, uncertain about what to do as night fell and it was his first time alone with a girl. Concerned for Malaika's safety, he recalled how her father had accidentally died at his own father's hands. Tembo thought to himself that history shouldn't repeat itself, so he quickly devised a plan to help Malaika recover. Though he had spent most of his time alone since his father's death, Tembo was a hardworking and handsome man who would never harm anyone; he was just trapped by his past. He vowed to protect Malaika for as long as he lived, even from a distance, believing it was his way of atoning for her father's accidental death. He hoped that one-day circumstances would change and that Malaika might understand, moving beyond the past. But only time will tell.

He brought her into his home to care for her. When Malaika regained consciousness, she worried about her grandmother, but Tembo convinced her to stay until morning and offered to walk her home. Although she was raised not to spend nights with strangers, she agreed to stay at Tembo's house, struggling internally with the decision. Despite her discomfort, she felt an unusual ease around him, as if she had known him forever. "You’re quiet," Tembo interrupted her thoughts during their meal. "Don't be afraid of me; I'm just making sure you're safe." Malaika then asked if he knew who was leaving her the gifts, but he hesitated to share his feelings and identity.

Tembo secretly admired Malaika and had been helping her as a way to express his love. However, he was haunted by a dark past involving her father's death. Malaika sensed his turmoil and tried to comfort him, unaware of their connection. She asked about his family, but Tembo preferred to enjoy the moment without revisiting painful memories. He asked, "Do you believe in fate?" Malaika replied, "To some extent, yes. For example, I was searching for the good Samaritan who has been helping me, and here I am stuck with you." They both smiled, and Tembo continued, stating that fate often comes with obstacles. Malaika agreed, adding that life should be fully enjoyed without fear, like free birds.

Tembo then asked what she would change if she had control over life. Malaika nostalgically said she would bring back her parents, who left her with her grandmother at a young age. She shared that her father died under mysterious circumstances, and her mother succumbed to depression shortly after. Tembo felt uncomfortable but couldn’t confess that his father was responsible for her father's death. He feared never seeing her again, but guilt weighed heavily on him. When Malaika noticed his silence, she asked if he was okay. He replied, "Yes, your story is touching." He inquired if her family had sought answers about her father's death, and she explained that her father’s demise stemmed from a failed deal with a friend.

Malaika then asked Tembo about his parents. He revealed he never met his mother and lost his father after a long illness. Realizing it was late, they decided to rest before heading to Malaika’s home. She worried about how to explain her absence to her grandmother. That night, Tembo had nightmares, murmuring about needing to apologize to Malaika's family. Malaika, hearing his distress, brought him water and comforted him before they fell asleep again.

The next morning, Tembo prepared tea before they set off for Malaika’s home. On the way, she asked about his nightmare, but he lacked the courage to share his story. Instead, he asked if she would still be friends if she learned something bad about him. Malaika was taken aback but replied that they would remain friends, as everyone makes mistakes. This only deepened Tembo's internal struggle; he felt torn about keeping such a significant secret from her.

As they walked and shared childhood memories, they reached the spot where the incident had occurred years ago. Tembo could no longer contain his anxiety and told Malaika he had something to confess. She joked that she had noticed he was troubled. He revealed that he had been the one leaving the firewood and fruits for her. Malaika paused, joyfully admitting she suspected him because his was the only house nearby. Tembo then confessed his feelings for her, saying he had been drawn to her voice for some time. This made Malaika blush; she had liked him from the start, and his character only deepened her affection. A comfortable silence enveloped them, filled with unspoken emotions.

Out of the blue, Tembo told Malaika about a traumatic incident from his childhood involving a loved one that still burdens him and disrupts his life. Malaika, feeling pity, encouraged him to share his pain with someone. He looked into her eyes and replied, “Let’s get going. Your grandmother must be worried.” As they walked closer to the village, he took her hand. Near her home, Tembo said, “You are a wonderful and beautiful girl. I hope to be good enough for you, and I pray we meet again as better people. Take care of yourself.”

Puzzled by his words, Malaika asked if he was going on a journey, but he shook his head, hugged her, and said goodbye. She called out his name as he ran away, hugging him one last time and asking if she would see him again. He agreed and told her, “Run, don’t keep Granny waiting.” They smiled at each other and parted ways, each with unanswered questions.

September 12, 2024 01:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.