1 comment

General

OUR FRIEND -Mary Cahill Kurpiewski

The moment we met her, I knew she would be a big part of our lives. It turned out to be a fact. She was always there when we needed her, good times and bad. Knowing she was around always made us feel safe and secure. She was someone we knew we could always depend on. You never had to ask her to help--you knew she would never refuse.

We didn’t realize it at the time, but she entered our lives just when we needed her. We had four little kids between the ages of one and four years old. Always such a helpful friend, I shudder to think of our lives if she hadn’t been in the picture. I feel sometimes that, maybe, we took advantage of her. We put a lot of responsibility on her being with us. Dependable was the word that always came to mind. She never showed the wear and tear. She always had a glow about her. She was always at the ready for us.

When death struck our family and we were in mourning with funerals and details to be taken care of---she never once let us down. She was right there to make the tragedy a little more manageable. 

When the time came for our children to be born, she waited outside with my husband. She was with us when we took the new baby home to meet their other siblings. When I received a call in the middle of the night that my dad was ill, I counted on her. My son had to attend a special school 30 miles away, she was there. The times we wanted to visit the cemetery to bring flowers to my mom's grave, she carried the heavy vases. She loved going to the drive-in movies with us and the kids.

All through the years, she has been part of so many memories. She was loyal and very dependable. I already feel empty without her. Vacations won’t ever be the same without her company and assistance. The kids were always so comfortable around her. She never once complained and never really wanted much from us, except, maybe, our company. We sure made her a big part of our lives.

During some tense times when one of our kids fell and needed stitches, she managed to get us to the hospital. When my husband graduated college and we almost missed the opening ceremonies, she helped out. One time we didn't think we could make it to Disneyworld because of the expensive air fares, it was because of her we all managed to see Mickey and Minnie beneath the palm trees.

So many occasions when my elderly dad was feeling good and had an urge to go to the Jersey shore, to walk on the boardwalk, she followed through. My little sister, Betty, who had Down Syndrome loved her. Betty always enjoyed going on outings with her. When we promised to take the kids somewhere special, even just for ice cream, because they were special, she helped us keep our word. When I was late for work, she always provided me with an excuse. I never thought this would end. Oh, the pain of losing a friend!

Always going along on most of my charitable endeavors, she never complained. Helping me deliver food to the homes of our deceased parishioners for the after funeral luncheons was a chore, but she came through. She even tagged along on most of my church-related meetings and big events.

So many times I probably have forgotten; she managed to get us out of jams; picking up the important  birthday cake, getting the important blue suit from the cleaners 15 minutes before closing time, rushing to the train to pick up my husband, taking the kids to school after they'd missed the bus, picking up that almost forgotten prescription from the pharmacy and making sure we got to church on Sundays.

With three little boys; Ronnie, Timmy and Joey and a tom-boy daughter, Missy, sports always played a big part in our lives. I don’t think she ever missed a baseball or soccer game. Nothing was ever too much for her, even down to her carrying the equipment; balls, bases, bats, nets, and every piece of equipment that we had to tote back and forth. It was a chore, but my husband was the coach on many of the teams and sure appreciated her help. After one of their games, she always looked so dirty you would think she played in the mud.

This dear friend always found the ideal out-of-the-way places for our summer picnics. Every year she took us downtown at the crack of dawn to get a front row viewing spot at the Gimbel´s Thanksgiving Day Parade and then to Grandma's and Grandpa's house for mouth-watering turkey. She was with us during so many wonderful, sentimental times in our lives. 

One year she even helped us deliver a large amount of Christmas presents to two different children's shelters and always made sure we arrived home safely after celebrating New Yearś Eve parties. The holidays won’t be the same without her.

So, as I sit here with tears in my eyes, I can't help but feel that part of  my happiness is leaving forever. She shared so many great memories with our kids and is in so many photographs with our family, we´ll never forget her. I can hardly look out the window because  I am so distraught, but I do. I realize it´s probably the last time I´ll ever see her.

There will, no doubt, in the years to come, be others that try to take her place. But no one could hold the place she has held in our hearts all of these years. We will miss her dearly. 

Good-by our golden chariot, our amazing coach, our flying carpet, our royal carriage. Good-by to our most cherished friend!! Good-by to Hetty, our ‘67 Chevy!

June 26, 2020 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Eric Smiley
06:38 Jul 07, 2020

What a friend, kept me guessing til the end

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.