0 comments

African American Fantasy Fiction

Broken Dates

A rake Jordero

Lady Jangie sits aboard the Silver Jambiya as Saze Abdul finishes a few touches to his Zara k Meal of dates and lamb kabobs. Carrying the Zara K dinner to the table. “I am no gourmet but I do have a flair for Zara K Food. Please date wine a wine I purchased from my

Zara K wine expert back home.”

“Thank you, my people don't get much exotic due to some of village and its customs. Like the lamb kabobs is a treat , Captain.” comments the demure A rake woman.

“You can call me Saze Lady Jangie. So tell me about your people and teach me something I did not know about the A rake people.”

“Where to begin let me think Saze?”

Flashback

15 years earlier. A young Jangie plays with other people in her tribe. Jangie a young jungle elf and human plays one of the many A rake games with the other children of her village. The kids show a sign of no discomfort to the young half-elf.

An older jungle Elf blows a bamboo whistle as the young villagers approach the older male. “Today students we will begin you training as scouts of the jungle. I am Elder Eric and we will first study the movement of the lizards that roam this land. Come with me even you Jangie. Your father wants you to be prepared as a leader in the future. Come students pick up a branch and we will track the lizards of this land. “ the young students follow the older man a long with a few older students as they follow in the shrubs of the A rake jungles.

Several days later the elder questions the children of what they learn of their early hunt. With amazing detail Jangie explains the Dodo bird she tracked and studied. Amazed by her wit Elder Eric says to the young half elf female. “ You are well detailed and adapted to this specific beat. Very good I wish others were as detailed as you were Jangie. Good job. “ Elder Eric looks over to an older Elf female “ Daughter, Please mentor Jangie in the form of jungle roots and weapons.”

The older female elf shows a look of disgust at Jangie but accepts her words from her father. “ Come half-breed we have a lot to go over if you wish to learn the ways of the jungle elf.” The two walk off into the surrounding jungle.

Three days later Jangie sits by a fire and speaks with her parents about the three days she studied with elder Eric's daughter. “ Mother, father, the daughter of elder Eric was very bitter towards me and though he is your friend father. His daughter has the bite of a cobra on people with my blood.”

“ I will bring this up to her father but we can only believe it is a bitter bite that several jungle elves have for both your mom and you. But I will take up this treatment.” Turning to his wife. I believe it is time for Jangie to visit your old friend Druid Chieftain Oman, my wife. Since the druid people except half breeds like our daughter Do you agree, my love?”

“It is your decision husband. I know Jangie will be a strong leader in the future and perhaps with the discipline of Oman it will work out.”

“Than it is decided, we will take her to the Druid school east of here. Come daughter we have

to pack to visit Elder Oman”

Oman Days

Five years later. Oman a dark skinned man sits beside a campfire and is joined by Jangie. “ Jangie I have raised you as a daughter as asked by your mother. You have a quick wit about you and an intelligence that shows you will be a strong leader for your father's people. Though A rake prefer males there is still a few with a matriarch feeling about them. Perhaps in time you can bring the two together. For now I have a gift for you.” Signaling to a druid apprentice, he returns with a specialized staff bow made by Oman.

“ This staff-bow is passed onto the druids of this school and you have not only excelled as a druid but also as a scout. Your wit and charm will be to your advantage as a future leader for the village of your father and I hope more jungle elves continue to have the same charisma and charm you carry as a half breed. Come today we celebrate your womanhood and the qualities you will carry as a leader for both my people and your father's people.“

Return

Jangie leaves Druid Chieftain Oman and strolls through her village looking at her friends that still live in the village. But she eyes several witch doctors wearing the mask of ravens and dark clothes. She walks over to one of her friends “Mira, what is happening here. Why are the witch doctors wearing those dark clothes”

Mira now pregnant looks back at her friend with fear in her dark eyes. “Our village has come under a plague passed down by Bumba. There are several families in pain. Shaman Ara claims we need medicine from the capital city of Ora. Since the herbs they have been using is slowing it down but not stopping it” Mira covers her pregnant body and goes back inside her shelter away from the area hit with the plague. “ Forgive me Jangie but I must tend to protect my baby I am sorry your return has this bad news.”

“ I understand Mira, I will let you protect yourself from this plague from Bumba.” Mira returns inside her shelter as Jangie walks over to Shaman Ara who sits by a campfire praying to the gods.

“Shaman Ara, I have returned from Druid Oman's school. What can I do to help our people.”

“Olorun came to a vision in my dreams and said that a proud warrior will come to help the people. I believe that warrior is you Jangie” Shaman Ara signals for her to sit down. “ Jangie

come sit. We need to get the white man's medicine to help our people. I have spoken to Bishop .Christopher of Ora through a dream stone and he said he would be glad to help us with aid of Ill-mater.”

“ You must deliver him this gem of seeing and he will review the plague put down by Bumba. It is through this gem that he will get a better eye of what medicine our people need. Though it is a perilous journey. I sense Olorun will guide you. Pack up and leave in the morning I will get one of our fastest Ax Beaks who will get you to Ora. Once in Ora and once you have the medicine find a ship and take the Great A rake River home. In addition to the gem of seeing we also have collected several objects of value to help pay Bishop Christopher. Now hurry I do not know how long my shaman apprentices and I can contain this plague.” On those words

Jangie rises across from Ara.

Rising with the jungle birds, Jangie is greeted by her younger brother who brings with him a

leather sack and a fit Ax Beak bird. “Hello Sister, Shaman Ara told me that you were going to Ora. I would join you but father needs me to stay here and...cough...cough...serve as town guard. I suppose I have got the plague since my chest has red dots...cough.”

“ Stay strong brother, I will return with the white man's medicine.” Hopping aboard the Ax Beak. Jangie takes off like a spirit escaping Hades.

Ora travels

Jangie forces the Ax Beak to run at its max speed with a passenger on it. Bursting though a series of jungle steppes and shrubs. Jangie and her mount come to a halt as a large raptor lizard blocks their path. Attempting to avoid it the large raptor shows a look of hunger in its dark eyes. Snapping widely at Jangie and her mount. Learning the pattern of the raptor, Jangie directs her mount to go right between the raptor. Shifting her hands in motion Jangie

releases a spell that temporary blinds the raptor as the Ax Beak moves quickly between the raptor.

The raptor attempts to find its prey but loses it as the mount flees quickly through the opening

between the Raptor and its legs. Cawing in fear, Jangie almost loses her balance as she calms the large bird down as they lies a distance away from the large raptor.

Two days later Jangie arrives in the port city of Ora. Passing like a stranger in a strange land. Jangie spots a Jungle elf guard. Speaking in Elf “Constable, where is Bishop Christopher. I need to speak with him about my village.”

The jungle elf sneers at her at first but gives in to her charm an motion. ' Bishop Christopher is

located in the temple district. He stays at Church of Ill-mater. Its about three blocks west of here.”

“Thank you constable, my village will remember your friendship to me.” Leaving her mount at a stable, Jangie walks over to the temple district carrying her sack. Several street urchins spot the woman but fear her as if a greater being is protecting her.

Finding the temple of ill-mater from its noted statue. Jangie enters the temple. Speaking at first in broken common she catches on and is directed to Bishop Christopher. Bishop Christopher appears as a white human with a dark beard and wears the religious garb of Ill- mater god of healing pain.

“Jangie, I spoke with Shaman Ara and it is a honor to help you and your people. The Church is always looking to help others of a different custom. How was your journey you look tired?”

It was hard and I had very little time to rest. Since my family has been infected by the plague of Bumba. I could use a few nights rest.”

Clapping his hands a female apprentice returns to the Bishop. “ Aria please take Lady Jangie to the women's wing.” Turning back to Jangie the bishop continues. “ I believe Shaman Ara gave you a gem of seeing so I could visualize the plague and prepare the proper medicine to

aid your people.”

Jangie bows in traditional A rake role to the bishop and follows the young female apprentice

to the women's wing. Showing her to a guest room, Aria excuses herself as Jangie plops in bed after her journey.

Two days later

Sleeping for several days, Jangie is awaken by Aria. “Bishop Christopher has figured out the necessary medicine to help your village. You have been in a deep slumber for two days so we figured you were restoring your health for your trip back to your village.”

“I must have been dead tired, thank you Aria. Perhaps there is a tub where I may bathe before I see The Bishop.”

“ Yes I will prepare a bath for you made from passion flowers and than you can have some sustenance as well. I have also freshen your clothes with a wash. You may wear this robe and gown prior to your exit. If you excuse me.”

After a long and relaxing bath in passion flowers, Jangie joins bishop Christopher for a morning breakfast. “thank you for your hospitality Bishop it was refreshing.”

“You will always be welcomed here if you need a place to stay in Ora. I have managed to put together a supply list to help your people. Though I do not think you and your steed will be able to carry the amount of supplies on your own. But I have heard that there is a wise arse smuggler in town that has worked with my church before and I think he will be interested for a price. Though he is a wise arse, he is an honorable man.”

“Where can I find this smuggler?”

“Let me make a few calls but I will have an idea where you can find him.

“That would be good, could I spend some time in your library to review what you found out about my village.”

“Not a problem I will discuss with you my find after I track down the smuggler.”

“Thank you again Bishop.”

“No problem though we are different in mind we are still the children of our gods. The library is four doors west of the wing where you are staying.”

“Thank you again Bishop.” As Jangie bows to the older man.

Present day

“So that is my tale, Saze I know it sounds boring but I am far from a storyteller on my life and adventures. “

Saze sips his date wine and looks at Jangie. “Actually your story was fascinating. You shared me your story and I will share with you my story.”

On those words the couple enjoys their meal and shares more adventures as the moonlight sets on the surrounding waters of the A rake river.

The End

.   

June 28, 2021 00:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.