26 comments

American Sad

This story contains sensitive content

I had a friend in college who said he was never going to have children. At the time I thought he didn’t want the responsibility. Looking back now, I wonder if he was actually hoping to avoid the heartbreak.

I can’t speak for all fathers, but the day my son was born, I saw his life flash before my eyes. He was going to dominate the other infants in the nursery, be valedictorian of his preschool, hit puberty at nine, and start at quarterback on the varsity football team his freshman year. 


After that, the visions became more serious and less scripted. My son was going to be his own man. He would choose his profession and his wife. Then, when the time was right, he would present me with my first grandson. It didn’t seem too much to ask. I just wanted him to be a good boy who would become a good man. I saw it all so clearly, but as they say, “The best laid plans…”


When did I first know? I’ve asked myself that question more times than I can count. I can’t pinpoint the exact moment—it’s actually more of a process than an event, but I would say it’s similar to trying to remember when you stop believing in Santa Claus. In the beginning, you don’t know the truth and it’s wonderful. Then certainty gives way to doubts, ones you dare not verbalize or share. Next comes the internal realization, but you still find a way to pretend because the alternative is unthinkable. Last comes the inescapability of the obvious, the moment all reasonable—and unreasonable—doubt is removed. At this point your world becomes forever less good.


I was blissfully unaware when my son was young. Looking back, there were signs, although I didn’t see them. I tried to connect with him the same way my father had with me—through sports. I was obviously disappointed when he resisted playing Little League. But with a few words of encouragement, he gave baseball a try and seemed to get better from week to week. At least, that’s what I told myself. 


On Sundays, when I parked myself in front of the living room TV to watch football, he would give me a hug and head to the bedroom to watch romcoms with my wife. I never said it out loud, but it broke my heart each time he walked away. I remember praying on more than one occasion that he would gain an interest in my favorite game and decide he wanted to spend Sunday afternoons with me.


My son also wore his emotions on his sleeve. When we would watch sad movies, I did everything I could to choke back the tears welling up in my eyes. Not him though—he cried unashamedly. Then he'd come hug me because he could sense I was sad as well.


It was during his high school years that I started to suspect. I was proud of him, to be sure. He was so smart, much smarter than I, but he was also sensitive and gentle. He was popular, especially with the girls, but he never asked any of them out. For the homecoming dance, he dressed up in a three-piece with a tie. He looked so damn good in that suit, but he didn’t go with a girl. He just went with a group of friends. It was then that I knew something was off.


What happened next confirmed my unspoken fears.


I was still up when he came home after the dance. It was pitch black outside, but the dome light in the car worked perfectly well. I wasn’t completely sure, but it looked to me as if he leaned over and kissed the boy who dropped him off. I can’t say for certain how long I sat by myself, in silence, in the dark before I went to bed. I only know it was precisely long enough to convince myself I hadn’t seen what I knew I had.


Denial is a powerful tool, and I wielded it often. I was intentionally blind to the obvious until one day I came home early from work. When I walked in the door, I saw him standing there, right in the middle of the living room. He had on lipstick and eyeshadow and some sort of foundation all over his cheeks. It’s the only time in his life that I hit my son. I slapped him so hard that my hand stung, so hard I left the outline of my palm on his face. In a moment of rage, I had lost all control. When I saw the makeup smudged on my hand, I ran, like Lady Macbeth, to the kitchen. I had to wash off our shame. I insisted he never tell anyone what he had done and hoped he'd never tell anyone what I had done. Ironically, he didn’t cry, not a single tear. In his life I was never more proud of him. To this day I still don’t completely understand the dichotomy. 


The day he actually came out was equal parts expected, dreaded, and heartbreaking. My wife asked all sorts of questions. Was he bi? Was he trans? Was he sure? I just sat stoically and listened. I loved my son, but on that day, I didn’t like him—not at all—and I told him as clearly as I could with my silence.


It has been said that time heals all wounds, and that is true, even the self-inflicted ones. By the time he left for college, we had entered into a détente. I loved my son and, for reasons known only to him, he loved me, too. I know he discussed deeper subjects with his mom, but we had an unspoken agreement. We stuck to safe conversations: my job, his schoolwork, his mother, finances. He even started to watch football. More than anything, I started to dream again. The dreams were different, but they were no less sincere. I wanted my son to find success and happiness.


After college, he settled into his own life—further from home than either my wife or I preferred, but close enough to visit regularly. He had become his own man, just as I hoped. Whenever the chance presented itself, and I made sure it did, I would brag about my son who worked for NASA. I was the only one in our golfing foursome who had an actual rocket scientist in the family.


As always, his mother was the one who would talk with him about his personal life. We observed the old military policy—don’t ask, don’t tell. I would quiz him about his job and bore him with stories about the neighborhood, and we found commonality with football. He had actually grown to love the game and my New York Giants. That was an answered prayer.


His last visit seemed like all the rest until the final night. I had retired to the den to enjoy a cigar. Neither he nor my wife liked the smell of smoke, so I was caught off guard when my son walked in, sat in the chair next to me, and told me he had a question.


Nothing can really prepare you for the joy you feel when your son chooses you to be the best man at his wedding. The moment it happened, I unexpectedly teared up. I remembered all the hopes and dreams I had for him on the day he was born. Then, in an instant, reality crashed over me like a tidal wave. If I answered yes, I would have to stand up next to him while he pledged his life to another man. I would need to remain silent when the pastor said: “Speak now or forever hold your peace.” I would be forced to watch as he kissed his husband in front of our family and friends.


I’m not sure who was more surprised by my answer, him or me.

 

Planning an event on short notice can be unimaginably stressful, but it can also serve as a necessary distraction. We had to find a pastor, invite all our family and friends, and make sure there were plenty of flowers. I purposely kept myself so busy that I never allowed any time to consider what was happening. Even the night before the event seemed surreal. There were people in attendance with whom, given the chance, we could spend hours talking, and yet we only had enough time to carry on short conversations and share hugs. 


My wife and I were the last ones to leave. 

Unlike most Friday nights, everyone wanted to get home and get a good night's sleep. The next day we would celebrate my son. Every conversation that night had obviously been about him. Everyone marveled at how great he looked. I, on the other hand, wasn’t the least bit surprised. Say what you will about my son, he might never have learned to throw a football, but that boy could sure wear a suit.


When everyone had gone and without having to ask, my wife left me alone with him. She instinctively knew there were things I needed to say. 


He thought I didn’t love him—I had to tell him I did. 


He thought I wasn't proud of him—I had to tell him I was. 


He never heard me say I’m sorry. This was my greatest regret. I was so very sorry—more than he would ever know. I hoped—somehow, someway—he would still hear me and forgive.


My son had asked me if I would be his best man, and I said, “No.” At least that's what I wanted to say. What I actually said was, “Hell fucking no, and I won’t be at your goddammed wedding either.” 


Just as I had years earlier, I allowed rage to overcome common sense. The look on his face spoke volumes, as did his silence. I guess it shouldn’t have surprised me, but he didn’t cry. I had verbally stabbed him in the heart, but just like when I slapped his face, he remained stoic. That boy was one tough son-of-a-bitch.


I think my answer is why he killed himself. I’ll never know for sure though. He didn’t leave a note.


I answered his question with a definitive no, but even if I had said yes, I'd have been in the exact same place. Because there are only two reasons to be in church on Saturday: weddings and funerals.


I guess the real question is, if I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, would I have changed my answer? Would I have said yes?


I'm ashamed to say, I honestly don't know. 


March 09, 2024 21:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

LeeAnn Hively
22:29 Mar 19, 2024

I understood your character, even though I raged against him more than once in this story, and I could feel sympathy as far as how being a man has had to mean certain, extremely specific, non-negotiable things in today's society. It's very hard for men to accept these rules are so very toxic in their rigidity. It was the final line, though, that made me want to strangle the MC. To fail to understand that unconditional love is what parents should always hold for their children is probably the saddest thing in the world. He didn't deserve his...

Reply

Thom With An H
22:49 Mar 19, 2024

LeeAnn, when I wrote this story it originally didn’t have the last line in it, but it felt incomplete. As odd as it sounds, your response validated my choice. It’s a tragic story and I’m really glad it’s fiction. I’m also glad I brought out such strong emotions in you. It’s exactly what we want as writers. Thank you for reading and sharing. It means more to me than you know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:20 Mar 10, 2024

Peace be with you. I did understand. But we all need a bit of peace.

Reply

Thom With An H
16:28 Mar 10, 2024

I appreciate it. I just want to make sure you know, this is fiction.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
16:45 Mar 10, 2024

Thank you. Really. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
00:48 Mar 26, 2024

Well told story, you really captured the father's voice, and led us through a smart twist of not letting us know his answer. Debate time. I have been thinking the entertainment industry needs to breakout of the tropes and stereotypes for gay characters. The culture has shifted so much in the last 30 years. What if a gay character was happy, accepted, and did not die at the end of the story? That would make them more of a protaganist I think. I did write a comedy where a gay mc goes to a red state, and everyone was nice to them. Maybe I'll g...

Reply

Thom With An H
01:02 Mar 26, 2024

Great insight. I do think the pendulum has swung a bit. Most movies and shows have LGBTQ characters who are well adjusted and not defined by their sexuality. As for my story, I really felt like the son was more of a background character. It was less about him and what he did as it was about how the father reacted to him.

Reply

01:10 Mar 26, 2024

That makes sense and it does really fit the culture of the 1980s and 90s. And agree, as a lot of other ppl commented, when we give our children a hard time about them not meeting our expectations that can cause a lot of damage.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
22:00 Mar 21, 2024

Oh my goodness this is amazing Thom and really rings true in terms of the expectations we have for our children. So so sad.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tammy Green
04:48 Mar 16, 2024

Thom, I loved it! You fooled me about the ending when I read “planning an event on short notice can be unimaginably stressful.” Everything about this felt real and as if from the narrator’s experience. You really brought me into his mind. Even when faced with the death of his son, he didn’t know if he would change his answer. Very good story, hooked me from the start.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:51 Mar 14, 2024

Beautiful. He thought I didn’t love him—I had to tell him I did. He thought I wasn't proud of him—I had to tell him I was. He never heard me say I’m sorry. This was my greatest regret. This three sentences punched me in the face... or at least it feels like it right now...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
13:45 Mar 13, 2024

I'm the father of two daughters, and I love them so much that it hurts sometimes. As a child who grew up in a foster-parent home with no love at all, my biggest fear was whether I could love my kids in the way they deserved (because I never experienced parental love). I try to do my best and think they know I love them. I was shocked by the ending because I was cheering for them, but I think they (father and son) didn't actually know each other. If the father knew his son, he would never talk with him that way, hurting him, and if the son k...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yuliya Borodina
17:00 Mar 11, 2024

Coming from a rather conservative society, I found the thoughts of the protagonist to be, sadly, entirely realistic. Love doesn't always imply acceptance. Intent doesn't always ally with actions. And parents aren't always ready to adjust their views in favor of their children. Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
03:15 Mar 10, 2024

Thom, this was so brilliant. Probably, the perfect way to respond to the prompt. You had me gripped with the flow of this story. The details were beautifully hashed out. When your protagonist mentions that he had plans about how his son's life would turn out, I went "Oh no. Don't do that." Really, a parent should only want two things of their children: that they be kind to others and that they be happy. Unfortunately for the protagonist, he let his pride impede that. Lovely work. I think I need a lot of work on my own submission after rea...

Reply

Thom With An H
03:49 Mar 10, 2024

Stella, I can’t tell you how much your feedback means. This was such a difficult story to write because the MC is flawed. And by the way, you are spot on about dreaming about your children’s life. Success has so many faces and if you limit them you do it to your detriment. Thank you so much for reading my story, getting my story, and taking the time to encourage me. It made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:32 Apr 10, 2024

Wow, great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jonathan Page
03:45 Mar 24, 2024

Whoah! Masterfully done. I was gripped by this story from the first line. I was following the father as he basically told the tale. And I thought I knew where it was going. But the twist really shook me up. I didn't see it coming. The last four paragraphs were haunting. I think someone else also commented on this line: "The only time church is open on Saturdays is for weddings or a funeral." It is ironic that the protagonist admired his son's lack of emotion from his two big rejections of him - "That boy was one tough son-of-a-bitch" - but t...

Reply

Thom With An H
17:08 Mar 24, 2024

Jonathan, I know we seemed to have formed a small mutual admiration society here but I am in earnest when I say kind words from you carry more weight than most other’s. I don’t have your gift for description. You write with a painters eye. You see the colors and the fine lines, but your feedback reinforces my self view as a story teller. It means more than you know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vanessa L.
17:02 Mar 23, 2024

Great story! love the line "The only time church is open on Saturdays is for weddings or a funeral." Helped me feel an "aha" to finally realize that's why you titled it the way you did. I can sympathize with the angst in this man... He, like most fathers, imagine their son to grow up to become a "manly" man. Only that "manly" in society is all but lost today. I like the ambiguity of the ending (and raw honesty) because that shows the ultimate conflict. This world is changing, and changing FAST and we as a society is asked to accept what...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hannah Lynn
15:40 Mar 19, 2024

Heartbreaking story brought tears to my eyes. Whoever said parenthood was easy? It’s not.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jacqueline R
23:54 Mar 18, 2024

I really thought they were going to reconcile at the end... Or at least I was hoping for it. Brilliant, heartbreaking ending and I enjoyed the whole story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
23:02 Mar 18, 2024

That was really good. I was expecting one thing and you went the other way and completely nailed it. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
11:50 Mar 18, 2024

A very sad story told from the father’s point of view with a punch in the gut ending. He was honest enough to admit he didn’t know what he would do if he had the chance again. The son obviously adored his father which made the rejection all the more distressing. Heartbreaking and truthful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avinash Bhondwe
23:53 Mar 17, 2024

A well-written story, and it makes a deep emotional impact. The relationship of the father and the son, changing over the years, is a touching experience. The son changes over the years, but not the father. Great. Congratulations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
19:48 Mar 17, 2024

He's not the only one to have different plans for his kids. He's not the only one to make mistakes. He cannot undo or apologize for his, tho. A heavy burden. A great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:55 Mar 17, 2024

That ending made me cry so bad. Very well written. You did a really good job with writing in the pov of that character, it felt so real.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.