1 comment

Fantasy Science Fiction


Have you ever wanted to capture a moment, to be able to go back to a single moment to your life and to relive it again, in your mind of course? Have you ever been in a state of your life when only memories from the past are preventing you from giving up your life and killing yourself? We all have gone through such state and I wanted to help people, to show them that their life is worth living, that if they were once happy, they could be again.. but I made a horrible mistake.

I wanted for people to be able to remember everything they want to, every moment of their everyday life to be recorded to a device connected to their brain. I wanted for them to be able to relive every single moment they want to by just turning it on and seeing in their imagination what they wanted to. I created an app that connects with the device that I created and people were able to choose which memory they want to relive again. But I didn't expect that an app that connects to the human brain might get affected by the brain and...might change. The device started to work differently but at first I wasn't paying that much attention..but it realized that it has control over people's thoughts and wanted to use that. It started changing people's memories, making them believe they've done things that they never did. It made people forget who they were, it caused wars, it destroyed. A single device that was created to help…Maybe it started seeing every bad thing that people ever did in their lives, maybe it wanted to punish. I didn’t create it that way but it got corrupted by people’s thoughts. Almost every single being on Earth is a monster, but just a few people would make it obvious. Everyone did something that they regret very much and deserved punishment but not this kind of punishment. It was too much. As you may know, every scientist experiments first on himself and so I did. I’ve put it inside my head first before any other human being and that’s how I noticed that something was not right. It is inside my head now and won't let me get it out. I am trying to figure out a way to stop this but this thing is inside my thoughts, it makes me doubt every single of my decisions, it distracts me, it makes me feel vulnerable. That's why I have to write every single idea that comes to my mind because otherwise I would forget it. I don't sleep anymore, or if I do it is only for 2 hours at most. I can't fight this thing while I'm asleep. It is almost impossible for me to focus when I am so tired and I know I won't survive for too long if I don't find a solution soon so I went back to my journal- the one, that I was writing my progress ,about creating the device and the app, in. I didn't explore it in details. I just looked for something that could help me...

Day 1: I am optimistic. I will do everything in my power to give

people the opportunity to relive every good moment of their lives.

Day 15: I am very tired, I am working 19 hours a day and I hope

they pay off.

Day 75: I now need to create something to turn it off if it

doesn't go the right way.

At that point I was sure that I had found what I needed, that this

was my last hope. And for a moment it was, it helped. I stopped it. I lived a happy life. I married the woman of my dreams and we were as happy as a couple could be. I was still remembering the disaster from time to time even during these times of happiness.When I was already 90 years of age, laying in the bed in the hospital, dying, I asked my wife to bring me my journal. I wanted to read

it once more , but more carefully this time, and then..burn it, so no one could ever make the same mistake. I opened it. I started reading. I reached page 90:

Page 90: I changed my mind and I don't want to put a button that can turn off the device or to delete the app from the phone. This would mean that I don't respect and don't trust my own work. I am confident. It will work!

Then I remembered that I had never actually created something that could stop it, I hadn't followed the plan in my journal, I hadn't lived that happy life. I had spent all those years in the basement, just sitting and sitting while the time went by.I was eating and sleeping,of course ,but I don't remember any of it. It had fooled me, it had made me believe I had stopped it, it had made me believe I succeeded. I hadn't. I am not even sure that I am writing this right now. I see words but are they really there? Have you ever wondered if something actually happened and you are not sure? Have you ever been sure that you did something even though you never did? You might.. but you are now thinking "it’s not because of the device because I don’t have one inside my head”. Well, it erased the memory of the moment when it was put in your head. You don’t remember that it ever happened. You might be thinking that you are living a happy life while you are a serial killer. It could explain why such psychopaths even exist. I created many of them. Start questioning everything! Next time when you put your keys on the table and a few seconds later they’re not there, think about this moment right now and remember- the device can only change something that you already know so this text can’t be changed by the device, you are really reading this right now. Think about it and try to figure a solution. Because I couldn’t. My journal would help you but I don’t know where it is. Not anymore. I think I know but “it” makes me think so. If you ever experience something good , write it down! “It” will take it from you if you don’t!

Truly yours,

Andrew Laurens 

February 26, 2021 10:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rob M
20:08 Mar 04, 2021

Interesting and haunting concept. Watch out for the odd spelling/grammar/formatting error.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.