Another meeting with Glory

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Another meeting with Glory

He always tried to mix business with pleasure - though he was not a hedonist. He had the talent to move above to unpleasant things with passion, ready to turn them into a new hobby. This is what happened when he was about to drown in the pool, where all the company money had been thrown - in a crisis of nerves of the cashier, who, after removing all the money from the bank, also jumped into the water, ready to die, too, covered with money and an unexpected glory.

His name was Zorba. Her name was Glory.

He saved her from drowning, that sunny day, with blooming daffodils, a trivial one, in the rest. It happened by the glycine fence - and the pool where $ 100 banknotes floated, extremely many banknotes (in later comments) that the water seemed covered with a thick green blanket. Of course, the pool could not be covered at the time, and the green blanket was at first suspect with its exotic pattern, as if thousands of $ 100 manknotes were sewn or glued there. He shrugged and wanted to move on, because of his old-fashioned upbringing that he would not get involved in the affairs of others, unless eventually he was asked for help. Nobody asked for his help even now, however, he saw the spectacular jump from the floor, a being determined to end the days of unknown reasons, in any case, not because of the lack of money.

He had no way of learning that the suicide girl is a cashier and that she might want to count only the money. Being a poor stranger, who just happened to pass there, guided by the angels in his beautiful thoughts, and the angels of his good habits, he could go on - especially because he could not swim - yet, he looked again, amazed by the strange habits of some to bathe with money in the pool.

Zorba (of nowadays) - that's what we call this stranger- hadn't seen in his life what a green banknote looks like; there could be some green envelopes with shower gel, which makes bubbles, or whatever.

 His sin was he looked over the glycine fence to admire the flowers and the pool. He did not intend to bathe in such a pool - first because he did not know how to swim - and then, because it was not his pool and would have meant jumping over the fence, violating an other's property, or disturbing the joy of the person who had jumped dressed and sank immediately, without the intention of rising to the surface.

"Sure, sometimes money brings you to such situations,"- he thought philosophically, "but not too often". The reasoning was quite correct; people were starting to gather like ants, not intending to enter; but carried by the wave Zorba entered. And as everyone is shaking, they cry for help, but no one dares to disturb the blanket of banknotes that covered the pool, or maybe didn't know how to swim, Zorba took the initiative - though he wasn't convinced unless a scene from the movie was filmed. the experimental one, except that the girl no longer rises to the surface nor can she count how many banknotes begin to descend towards her, at the bottom of the pool. Handled only by instinct, he also jumped into the pool with refreshing water, and pulled out Rebecca - the multi-millionaire girl, on a hot sun, as the others drew in the shadow, to see what was happening and what the movie was like. Further. Zorba was under no illusions that anyone would hire him to play any figurative role in this weird movie, or that he would even get a job out of that modest pool cleaner - he wasn't even interested.

Many $ 100 banknotes have become heavy, descended at the bottom, leaving air bubbles in place, others still floating above, with the sudden sensation of an express, it could be the final image of the camera.

The boy named Zorba did his duty and left. Doctors and paramedics also did what they should and when they should.

The girl with the name from the Bible returned to her ordinary life and to counting the family's money - meanwhile all the money was taken out of the pool and saved too, it is understood. It is presumed - they were given the opinion, many specialists - that if there were more in the blanket that green covering the pool, neither the boy who saved her, nor she could not come to the surface. And if they stayed longer in the water, even that green money would have faded and could no longer be used - because those who made them, used a cheaper ink, or maybe materials for single use.Some say that the girl with names from the Bible would have looked long and hard for her savior, almost obsessing that he was her Isaac.

At first, she didn't even realize it. Everyone knew, only she didn't see what everyone was seeing. She was a beautiful girl, of course, everyone was courting her, but she didn't care about anyone. It seemed to him that it was, when he met him - for years - at a Greek holiday. Zorba broke the plates - after the custom of the Greeks - and danced. He enjoyed life, both alone and with others.

And the other girl, Casey, who had accompanied her in his search, learned to sing. They sang together into an unknown language. Zorba was a little drunk, no wonder he was mixing the characters. He had met Glory, he said. But she had a plane ticket taken early, and had to go back - maybe to America, or wherever she was from, as she had come on a vacation to his island, and now it was the last evening, a Greek evening.

So, there was another girl who accompanied the two of them and who had gone to bed earlier.

The next day, all three left home. Zorba awoke from his sleep and went to the beach, dancing with the dawn. Zorba remembered he saw on a banknote "In God we trust", but he it seemed that everyone gathered near the pool to see the blanket of banknotes, and only those banknotes floating on the surface, and gradually, gradually sinking to the bottom of the pool where the girl with the biblical name was lying. Only the air bubbles remained behind the back notes.

Maybe Zorba had dreamed of that. In fact, he didn't even know how to swim, and his life was simple on the island. Maybe he never left the island.


January 31, 2020 15:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.