Contest #254 shortlist ⭐️

53 comments

Historical Fiction Fiction


Whispers.

Did you hear the latest? Oh, my! Do sit down, have a cup of tea. You have met Lady Farnsworth, have you not? Exactly! At the Wendtworth ball. Yes. Her garden is legendary. Or so I’ve heard. I don’t really know anyone who has seen it firsthand. With the exception of Lady Creason, but all she will say about it is that the garden is simply magnificent, divine.


No, really, it’s almost too much. She does it herself! Can you imagine? I shudder to think … Oh, the horror! Dirtying her gloves as she digs in the soil, as if she’s a common maid! My, my! Do you think she sinks to her knees in the dirt?


Oh, it’s all anyone can talk about. More tea? Yes, of course, let me ring for a fresh pot.


And Lord Cecil being so sickly, he had to retire to the country, don’t you know? Can you believe that she has remained here in town, while her husband might very well be on his deathbed? At least Lord John is keeping vigil. She’s not showing him the proper respect, is she? Not at all, at all.


Oh my! The scandal! But what could one expect from such an unsuitable match?

Tut-tut.


***


Three years ago, Lady Martha Worthmore, age eighteen, had been presented. As all young girls will, she had looked forward to all the parties and balls, the flirtations, a stolen kiss. Not surprising, like all young girls, she had dreamed of a love match. After all, who’d want to be part of a mere ‘suitable’ alliance. However, no offers had been made in the first few weeks.


“Not to worry,” Lady, Eagers, her chaperone, had assured her. “Many young ladies do not get a suitable offer till their second, or even third Season.”


However, Martha’s father, Lord John Worthmore, was not of the same opinion or as patient. Thus, when Lord Cecil Farnsworth, an old bachelor friend of Lord Worthmore made an offer, he accepted immediately on his daughter's behalf.


Despite Martha’s protests, Lord John would not renege on the bargain. Even before her first Season had run its course, Lady Marthy Worthmore became Lady Cecil Farnsworth. Married to a man thirty-one years her senior.


For three years Lady Martha and Lord Cecil divided their time between the townhouse during the Season and Lord Farsworth’s sprawling, drafty estate house, somewhere off the beaten path in Durham.


Lord Farnsworth had not bothered to consummate the marriage and rarely deigned to speak to her directly. Of course, dinner invitations to reciprocate hospitality had to be extended. Thus, once every month or two during the Season Martha and Cecil would be in the same room, be it at opposite ends of the table.


Having little else to occupy her time, Lady Martha took it upon herself to bring the neglected garden attached to the town house back to life. To that end she recently charged the butler, Mansort, with hiring a competent gardener. With increasing regularity, she declined to accompany her husband to the country. She was quite content in the smaller, but comfortable house in town.


***


Three months ago, Lady Martha, once again, sipping her morning tea, admired her garden. To be honest, the man cultivating and maintaining all this beauty was much more interesting than the garden itself. After all, the roses he was tending just beyond the breakfast room window had just barely begun to sprout.


He was, she swallowed a sigh, quite muscular. She couldn’t help but feel that he simply exuded an aura of strength, confidence, and capability. Tilling, weeding, and mulching was apparently hot work, even this early in spring for he had put his coat aside and rolled up his shirt sleeves. Oh, my! He straightened, lifted his cap, wiped his brow with the cravat he had stuffed in the waist of his trousers. She could see the damp ends of his russet-colored hair before he replaced his cap.


She was incapable of stifling another sigh when he threw his head back and drank deeply from the flask that had been tucked in one of his pockets. She shamelessly allowed her eyes to drift down to the few loosened buttons at his throat, caress the expanse of his chest and dip further down to … Oh! Surely that wouldn’t do. Quickly she snapped her eyes back to his face. Just in time to see him watching her. She told herself that she imagined the small smile and quick wink before he returned to his labors.


“Ah, yes.” Lady Sarah Creason, Martha’s long-time friend and confidante, groaned. “If my roses were that well-tended, I might even consider cultivating them in my boudoir.”


“Surely you jest.” Martha tried to sound outraged, but the idea did have its merits.


Martha’s father, a frequent guest, and Lord Cecil spent many hours in the library. Martha had been told that they were playing chess. Since her husband did not concern himself with her activities, she did not think twice about their many games of chess.


That afternoon, Lord Worthmore, after he had greeted Martha joined Lord Cecil in the library. Unconcerned with the gentlemen’s game, Martha took a shawl against the chill spring breeze and strolled through the garden. There, near the gazebo, she spotted the gardener. She hesitated, feeling a tell-tale blush flush her cheeks, but she ploughed on.


“Good afternoon Mr. Garreth.”


Garreth doffed his cap. “Afternoon, milady.”


“What are you planting here?” She pointed to the small patch of freshly tilled earth.


“I had thought this might be a good spot for fragrant herbs, like lavender and mint. But if you have a preference …” He smiled as he looked at her.


Martha blushed under his gaze. There was something about his voice, the musical lilt and cadence to his speech. “Pansies.” She smiled shyly. “I quite fancy pansies. They remind me of velvet.”


He nodded. “Very well. I’ll be sure to include pansies, milady.”


She should move on and allow him to return to his work. But she was reluctant to part company.


“Milady.” He seemed hesitant to speak. “There is one section of the garden I have difficulty with. Could you take a look and advise me?”


“But of course.” All shyness forgotten. Someone needed her assistance; she’d be happy to give it.


“There is a bush, it’s just in front of the library window. I would be obliged if you’d give it a look and ponder the situation, Milady.”


“I will do so, right this minute, Mr. Garreth.”


Marth strode off in the direction of the house, specifically the west side where the library was located. She could not see any dead, dying or distressed plants in the bed, but when she looked up, she gasped.


Just on the other side of the library window were her father and husband, however they were not engrossed in a chess match.


“I see you found the problem, Milady.”


“Yes, Mr. Garreth. You’d best move on, lest you’re seen, and risk being fired.” She advised him.


Approximately three weeks passed since Martha inspected her yard. She had instructed Cook to prepare supper for three and invited her father to pertake, thus ensuring that her husband would attend as well.


When the first course was cleared and the fish served, Martha paused and nodded at Mansort, who left the dining room ushering the valets ahead of him. When the room was occupied by just the three of them, Martha took another bite, chewed daintily, and swallowed.


“About three weeks ago I learned something.” She began. “I learned that my father has a birthmark in the shape of the continent of Africa on his left buttock.” She nodded, letting that sink in. “And you, Milord do not. However, I now understand why many of your shirt sleeves are ink stained.”


She indulged in a sip of wine. “Gentlemen, I do not care how you wish to spend your time together, but I believe that there are many people who would be scandalized, affronted if not downright sickened at the thought alone. Not to mention that the activity is illegal. Hopefully that law will change at some point in the future.


She calmly took another bite. Havening had several weeks to come to terms with the situation, she had charted a course. “In that light, I suggest that one or both of you urgently retreat to the country for your health before anyone learns the truth.”


Since both men were still speechless, she took another bite, a sip of wine before she rang the bell for Mansort, asking him to bring the items she had handed him early. She then turned back to her husband and father.


“I will not join you in the country, of course. Therefore, I shall need funds at my disposal to maintain the house, the stables, yard, and social obligations. Ah, thank you Mansort.” She turned back to her dinner guests. “Mansort is placing contracts in front of you. All you have to do is sign to place the townhouse in my name along with the annual sum I have stipulated. There will be no trustees managing my affairs, of course. We will all live separate lives and your secret will be safe with me.”


***


Did you hear? Surely, you must have. Is there no end to her brazenness? With both her husband and father in the country, awaiting Lord Cecil’s demise, Lady Martha has now brought plants in the house! Oh, yes! I have it on the best authority. In every room, no less. Even in her boudoir. My stars!


She does look well, doesn’t she? I might go as far and say she’s flourishing.

June 09, 2024 05:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

53 comments

Kristi Gott
01:11 Jun 10, 2024

This story successfully weaves together many elements and threads at once while entertaining us. Then it brings it all together and wraps it up in the end. I am admiring how well crafted it is and it does a great job answering the prompt. Well done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:20 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your feedback is always welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jahson Clarke
20:13 Jun 24, 2024

Your ability to capture a voice is amazing. Great piece, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:45 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you, Jahson. You flatter me, as Lady Martha would say. :-) When are you entering a contest again? Your stories are so good!

Reply

Jahson Clarke
01:07 Jun 25, 2024

Hope all is well my friend. I actually entered the most recent one. Thank you for the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Calvin Kirby
19:48 Jun 24, 2024

Trudy, what a great story and congrats on being short-listed. I am not really into Bridgerton or Downtown Abbey, but my wife is and it looks like you have written a story that she would like. In that vain, as a birthday gift for her, I would like to present your story to our Literary Shorts group on July 22nd, with your permission, of course. Our group is about 14-16 seniors in a 55+ community in Maryland. I read your brief Bio, but for the presentation, I would be interested in more detail. Could you please contact me at calvinrkirby@gmail....

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:06 Jun 24, 2024

I'd be flattered. Have sent email.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
22:19 Jun 23, 2024

Trudy!!!! Congrats on being shortlisted!!!! I'm so happy for you! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:37 Jun 23, 2024

Daniel!!!! Thank you!!!! :-) It feels great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:23 Jun 23, 2024

Well-earned congrats!

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:46 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn. I was surprised, but in a good way. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
20:11 Jun 22, 2024

OOOHHH congratulations on the shortlist! Yay :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:02 Jun 22, 2024

OOOHHH! Thank you! LOL. Thanks Hannh, it feels great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dawn Bravata
22:28 Jun 21, 2024

You developed the metaphor of "tending the garden" into a lovely blossom of a story! Having the gardener point out the difficult section of the garden was an outstanding plot element. The sense of whimsy was delightful!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:34 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you, Dawn. I'm so glad you enjoyed my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:31 Jun 21, 2024

Congrats on the shortlist! Such a fun story :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:53 Jun 21, 2024

Yeah! Thanks. Feels great! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
20:29 Jun 21, 2024

Great work, Trudy! Congrats on being shortlisted this week. (You should have taken the prize IMO.) You are awesome. "Even in her boudoir. My stars!"

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:45 Jun 21, 2024

:-) Thank you, Thomas. You are too kind. I tell myself that a short list (out of more than 200) is as good as a win. The congratulatory wine tastes just a good. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
20:06 Jun 21, 2024

Congrats once again, Trudy! How many is it now?

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:46 Jun 21, 2024

4. But who's counting? Oh, me, that's right. :-) Thanks, Ty. And thanks for liking 'In from the cold. '

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noah Tillier
19:25 Jun 21, 2024

Enjoyed the writing immensely! You used the educated, proper dialogue and tone very smoothy, and to great comedic effect. I love how people used to avoid saying certain phrases out of politeness, and the way your characters communicate and react feels like it fits perfectly.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:04 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you, Sir. You are being too kind, by far. :-) No, seriously, Thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Luckett
17:01 Jun 21, 2024

Wow, I initially missed the twist that slipped over my head. Very well-done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:27 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you, Jennifer. And thank you, for rereading. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:31 Jun 21, 2024

I told you. This story is fantastic. Of course it's shortlisted.

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:52 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. How could I ever doubt you. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
16:04 Jun 21, 2024

Congratulations Trudy :) Well deserved HH

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:19 Jun 21, 2024

Thanks, HH. I thought yours was better, but what do I know. :-) Have a glass of wine with me?

Reply

Howard Halsall
16:26 Jun 21, 2024

A glass of wine sounds most appealing. Enjoy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
16:04 Jun 21, 2024

Congratulations Trudy! Wonderful to see you on the shortlist.

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:19 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you. It's a great place to be, isn't it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:30 Jun 17, 2024

I'm not good in writing this genre but you are magnificent. Nicely done, Trudy. I enjoyed.

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:09 Jun 17, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. You are too kind, sir. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
23:58 Jun 16, 2024

I loved this scandalous tale. The language and style is so consistent - which takes discipline as a writer. Well done! I blushed several times, but loved that Martha got her revenge - and it seems, got to consummate her relationship with the gardener. Oh my!

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:08 Jun 17, 2024

LOL. Thank you. Karen. I am glad my story was stimulating🤭 And, yes, Lady Martha has new lease on life.😊. Thanks for comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:44 Jun 12, 2024

I know not everyone will write a regency story to the prompts, but you have! Awesome. Scandalous, even. Enjoyed it. Naughty things did happen back then. You can't help but feel sorry for the poor girl's arranged marriage. Women often had it tough back then.

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:28 Jun 12, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn, If we are to believe those novels, nothing but naughty things happened. 🤫

Reply

04:50 Jun 12, 2024

Oh, I know. I've read all of Georgette Heyer's regency romances (not that naughty) and some other more steamy ones as well. I decided to stick with the theme with my story too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:25 Jun 11, 2024

The beauty of flowers and a well tendered garden 😁 really nice to read, liked it.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:27 Jun 11, 2024

Thanks, and let's not forget those who tend. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harland Chambers
13:15 Jun 10, 2024

Lady Cecil Farnsworth is getting her hands dirty, but not in the garden! A delightfully scandalous story, Trudy...so many rumors, both true and untrue. A fun read that is very well done, a hallmark of your writing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:20 Jun 10, 2024

You are too kind by far, sir. However, I shall bask in your warm words of praise. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.