11 comments

Adventure Fiction Teens & Young Adult

I rubbed my chilly thighs with my palms after spending so much time kneeling on wet, dewy grass; even the smallest movement of my legs hurt.


"Where are you, Lena?" I brushed the branches away to have a clear view of Hangar 2. I felt a thrill of warmth rush through my body as I saw the silhouette of the small, two-seat Robinson R22 Helicopter through the path lights.


A short distance away, there was a rustling sound that made my pulse skip a beat. I crouched even lower, nearly lying on the ground. The sound approached gently. I paused my breathing and glanced in that direction. The dense network of barberry and European bladdernut branches prevented a clear view. It rustled more and more. A black snout poked through the foliage, and then I stared into two enormous brown eyes. It froze. The deer nearly did a backflip as I made a slight hand movement that frightened it. I exhaled deeply and looked down at my fingers.


I stroked with my fingers along the ridge between my thumb and the index finger on the other hand. The GACHIP chip program, known as ‘Sound of Freedom’, was established by the government to protect children from human trafficking. That's what my parents and grandparents thought. The government fooled everyone with their promotion.


There are now cameras installed everywhere that can scan the microchip embedded under the skin. As my grandmother described to me in my childhood years, "We all thought that was just a surveillance camera without any database information," she said with a guilty look on her face.


 During my grandparents' era, Europe remained mostly democratic, with a few significant outliers. But as the conflict between Russia and Ukraine erupted in the early 21st century, everything—including my homeland of Austria, which had sworn neutrality—started to tilt toward an authoritarian administration.


I once questioned Grandma, while we were sitting in our favorite spot—the airfield. “Did the people never understand that the government was trying to take control of everyone?” She touched my face while glancing at me. "Yes, Rena, we were. A number of us were arguing and demonstrating, but then this happened. " A 20-cm-long scar showed up where she had pulled her pullover over her belly. "I did have a family and prioritize things." Her soft eyes surveyed the area. "I never felt bad about this choice."


Someone tapped my shoulder, jolting me out of my thoughts. I grabbed the nearest branch and turned around. The woman ducked, lost her footing, and flew backward into the undergrowth. 

She bellowed, "Cruzefix no amoi," in Pinzgau dialect which means ‘Damned’. 


My parents' native language was Pinzgauer, a German dialect before the government suppressed it. They had to learn Surschyk, a Russian-German hybrid language. I was not even born by then. 


I extended my hand to her. She looked at me with a smile and I pulled her with a strong tug that propelled her to her feet. 


She gave me a 'Tell me' look and widened her eyes. 


"Yes, he did phone me. Do you have mind-reading skills?”

"You're not hard to read,” Lena said as I touched the ring with my finger, and she gestured toward it.

"He is not that bad. Even he has nice days.”

"Come on, let's explore the world beyond the borders and kick some asses." She grasped my arm forcefully. 


We ducked down and made our way to the hangar. Everything appeared to be quiet. I gave her a hand signal where to find the rolls. Lena and I spent a lot of time observing how the helicopter was transported, so we knew the whereabouts and handling of the rollers.


I grabbed the rollers, placed them on the back ends of the skids, and pressed the lever down. I went to the tail rotor end and pushed the tail boom down. I signaled her to move forward and position herself behind the helicopter cabin. 


I nodded in response to Lena's expression. As I went, I could hear the rollers squeaking slightly. Lena looked from left to right, and I noticed she was smirking mischievously. We rolled the helicopter approximately 10 meters out of the hangar. We disassembled the rollers and placed them slightly apart in the grass; we then checked our watches and began timing. 30 minutes.


Laughter! We got down on our knees. Three men holding bottles walked past the path outside the flying area. There were jokes and chuckling, and a man glanced at us. He stopped and called after the others. The two men also paused and looked in our direction. My heart stopped, and I sank to the ground. I looked at Lena, who hid deep in the helicopter's shadow. We heard laughter and slurred speech again. I did not understand a word. After another round of laughter, they left.


I let out a long breath and got to my feet, but then I had dizziness. I had to sit down for a little while. I inhaled and exhaled calmly, then glanced back at my ring. Does my husband expose me to the government to receive the reward? The reward aims to minimize resistance by the public. It was no longer possible to have the right to travel throughout Europe or freedom of speech. Individuals who held opposing views were "permanently removed" according to the government representatives' argument. Nobody heard from them anymore. We do not know their fate.


I looked around for Lena, but she was gone; she sat already on the copilot's side. I dashed over to the pilot's side, opened the door, and took my seat. I felt my heart race as I pressed the pedals, and touched with the fingers the collective, and cyclic control. I let out my breath. We both turned to look at the clock simultaneously.

15 minutes.


"Lena. Tell me just the points from starting the engine and running up procedure; let out the pre-flight checklist" I gestured to her on the list.

“Battery, strobe switches - on,” said Lena, and had trouble reading the writing, her fingers were shaking a lot.

“Ignition switch - start and then both.” She continued.

“Ahh, what does it mean ‘then both’”.

“It stays here. How do I know,” said Lena and her tone was a nuance louder. She looked at me and I turned the key first left and then right.

“Set engine RPM 50 to 60% and switch the clutch.” she continued as I started the engine.


I carefully adjusted the throttle to 50 to 60%, just like I was taught in my grandmother's secret simulator room. The helicopter's 4-cylinder air-cooled Lycoming O-320-A2B piston engine powered up and the entire aircraft started to quiver. I grinned as I remembered my grandmother's words about her years of helicopter training: "Fixed-wing pilots have traditionally said that helicopter pilots are crazy because they shut down their engines and land without power.." 


I watched as the blades started to spin, first gently, then rapidly. We put our headsets on. Meanwhile, the helicopter is now running much more smoothly, reaching 97% RPM. 


I gave Lena a thumbs-up. She breathed and also gave a thumbs up. We gazed outside. The ambiance is amazing. The fields and meadows are covered in a thin layer of dense fog. The sun rises like a fireball, bathing everything in a warm crimson light. A few trees away is the shape of a massive, antique wooden farmhouse.


I lifted the Collective with my left hand, and I felt the chopper hover. After two seconds, the helicopter began to swerve to the right, and I steered cyclic against it. It then reversed, and I steered against it again. I had the impression we were on a ghost train, going up and down, right and left, back to front.


Lena gripped with her hands to anything she could grip. The flight system steadied after a few bouts of boxing with the machine. It was dimly lit, but I could still see Lena’s pale face with her wide open eyes. I could feel the perspiration trickling down my brow—not only on it. Or did... I glance a bit downward. No, everything was in order.


After giving Lena another glance, I moved the cyclic forward, forcing the chopper to accelerate slightly above the ground and dive nose down. 20, 30, 40, and then, at 60 knots, we experienced the lift-over-drag moment that propelled us quickly into the air. 


Lena screamed as if her entire body had frozen. She glanced then sideways at the mountains. She screamed again, but this time it was pure excitement. Her entire body exuded enthusiasm as she began speaking, even though I couldn't comprehend a word she said. She talked pretty fast and was spitting sometimes. I simply grinned and nodded. 


I checked my watch; it was beyond time, and they would soon come for us.





April 24, 2024 14:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Jim LaFleur
10:14 Apr 25, 2024

Renate, your story is a captivating blend of suspense and rebellion. Brilliant work!

Reply

Renate Buchner
11:04 Apr 25, 2024

Thanks, Jim. Some parts of the story already take place in Europe and I hope this doesn't go as far as my storytelling. Thanks again, Jim.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:31 May 11, 2024

Bold territory for a coming-of-age tale, and a reminder for us in fortunate and pampered surroundings that young people around the world face nightmarish challenges. And you paint such a vivid scenario in a rousing adventure that underlines the special connection between grandparent and grandchild. My grandma and grandpa had no idea that the lives they lived were sort of heroic, but I worshiped them. Wonderful work!

Reply

Renate Buchner
14:20 May 11, 2024

Thank you, Martin. I am currently in a place with restricted access to water and food. Corruption is quite high, however the locals remain more motivated than where I live in Europe. Isn't it sad to say?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:58 May 01, 2024

Wow ! Such a suspenseful tale told well. Great job !

Reply

Renate Buchner
05:37 May 02, 2024

Thank you very much for reading my story and providing feedback. Your words offer me strength and confidence. Thanks, Alexis.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
16:00 Apr 26, 2024

Renate, this is another great story. I was never that close to my grandparents so it is nice to think about being on an adventure with one of them!

Reply

Renate Buchner
17:41 Apr 26, 2024

Thank you, Daryl. I am delighted that you like my story. This fantastic community has brilliant writers, writing skills, and ideas.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:21 Apr 24, 2024

Conflicted world. Hope their escape remains successful. Thanks for liking 'Blow Your Head Off '

Reply

Renate Buchner
17:52 Apr 24, 2024

Thank you for reading my story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:42 Apr 24, 2024

Pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.