Tusks and Daggers Part Sixty: A Nutty Day!

Written in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Suspense

Sir. Acorn:

Darwin hummed next to me, his scythe spinning his palm. Feeding me a nut, Rosey chattered on the top of his head. Tommy leapt onto his shoulder, his head rubbing his cheek. Wondering what we were doing wandering about a strange forest, Darwin was keeping us in the dark. The forest was just outside the castle, his finger scratching behind my ear. 

“We need to cheer up my mom. I thought I could bring her something from home.” He sang gleefully, his ivory blouse fluttering in the breeze. “Life has been a little tough on her. Don’t worry about my parents, Boran gave me permission.” Viktor called out to him, his wild hair had been slicked back in an attempt to look more put together. His worn leather jacket danced in another breeze, Darwin smashing into his legs. A couple of wrinkles lined his face, Viktor ruffling the top of his head. 

“Boran wanted me to make sure you stayed safe.” He exclaimed with his natural smile, a quiet sadness lingering in his eyes. “How is my daughter doing?” Darwin bowed his head, a single tear hitting his boot. 

“Not good. Maybe you could visit sometime. She has a new castle.” Darwin sighed dejectedly, Viktor placing him on his shoulder. “I am trying to make her feel better.” Viktor wiped away a couple of tears, his heart aching for her. Acknowledging the three of us, he seemed happy that Tommy, Rosey and myself were there for him. 

“She isn’t far from her mother. She saw many hardships to get to where she is but I know she will love this. Maybe I can come back with you.” He suggested with a weak smile, Darwin’s tears hitting the top of his head. “Did something new happen that I should know about?” Shaking his head, Darwin couldn’t even explain Lottie’s decaying mental health. That poor woman was falling apart at the seams, her homeland haunting her.  Taking him off of his shoulders, he buried his head into his shoulders. Their relationship was beautiful in the best way.

“She’ll be fine. I noticed last time that the light wasn’t in her eyes.” Viktor assured him weakly, his hand rubbing his back. “If anyone can make her feel better you can. Tell me about how you met.” Sitting him down on a log, Viktor plopped down next to him. Darwin wept brokenly, his fingers wiping away his tears. 

“I am scared for her. No matter what I try, it doesn’t get better. I am a burden to her.” He blurted out desperately, Tommy curling up on his lap as Viktor clutched his head close to his chest. “She bought me to save me from my evil father and I haven’t been able to repay her back.” Tears welled up in my eyes, Lottie’s broken smiles flashing in my mind. 

“You aren’t and I know that she would do it all over again. I see the love that she has for you in her eyes.” Viktor comforted him in a fatherly tone, tears sliding down my cheeks now. “If anything, I bet she feels like a burden to you.” Popping to his feet, he plucked an odd piece of pink fruit from the tree. Placing it in his sack, Viktor pointed to the fruit over his head. 

“I bet if we pick this fruit, she will make her famous pie with you.” He chirped cheerfully, his palms pressing together. “It tastes so delicious.” A giant grin illuminated Darwin’s features, questions began to shoot from his lips. His laughter twinkled in the air, the bag filling up quickly. Stopping for lunch, Viktor pulled out a couple of sandwiches. Darwin ripped off pieces for us, Rosey snuggling up to me as I sat down next to him. Eating our food in an awkward silence, Darwin couldn’t shake his deep sadness. Little did he know that she had wished to die several times by this point, his smile keeping her alive. Depression didn’t go away, the darkness showing up at the worst time. Carrying him on his shoulders, Viktor regaled us with tales of his childhood. Laughter returned with the natural smiles, my heart shattering for them both. The inky sky twinkled with diamonds, Viktor offering to take him back. Hiking back to the door in the castle, they both burst through. Closing the door behind them, Darwin bounced off of his back to find Lottie. Viktor kept a steady pace, his hands placing us on his shoulder. Tommy leapt onto Darwin’s shoulder, both of their smiles fading at a curled up Lottie laying in her throne. Approaching her gingerly, her wet eyes met ours. Viktor crouched down to her level, his thumbs wiping away her tears. Noticing Darwin, she sat right up and donned her brightest smile. 

“How was your day?” She chirped cheerfully, her eyes telling a different story. “I bet you had loads of fun together, didn’t you!” Rising to her feet, her eyes rested on the spiky fruit in the basket. Picking one up, her ears pinned back. Was that hurt in her eyes? Rubbing Darwin’s shoulders, he yanked her into a desperate embrace.

“You don’t have to hide your sadness with me!” He asserted himself firmly, his lips pecking her cheek. “I want to be there to help you when you're broken.” Cupping his face, her sad smile spoke volumes. 

“That isn’t your job to take care of me. Time will heal my wounds. Your smile makes my day. How about we make some pie?” She sniffled honestly, kissing his forehead. “I want you to be a kid. My trials are going to give me pain but your laughter makes the reward that much greater. Come along, father.” Taking his hand, she guided us to the kitchen. Selecting the ingredients, Boran leaned on the door. Holding the twins, Mishal toddled in behind him. Wearing matching outfits, the family seemed to have similar taste in clothing lately. Waving at him, the expression in his eyes spoke of the knowledge of her false smile. Mishal walked clumsily over to her, Viktor’s arms scooping him up. Smiling softly to myself, the sight of her teaching Darwin how to peel the fruit had me wishing for a family of my own. True love glimmered in his eyes, his admiration for her grew rather apparent by the minute. Cutting the fruit up together, Viktor pulled up a chair for Boran to take a seat. Viktor gushed over the twins, a wave of serenity came over the kitchen. Soma skidded in with a clear medallion on a silver chain, the knife in Lottie’s hand clanking onto the floor. 

“You found it.” She squealed excitedly, picking up her knife. “Will it work?” Tears welled up in her eyes, Soma walking over with a crooked grin. Dropping it into her palm, no one could keep up as she sprinted out of the kitchen. Scurrying as fast as we could, she lingered by the door. Gripping the medallion close to her chest, she swung the door open. Attempting to stick her arm through, a jolt of electricity burnt her fingers. The medallion clattered onto the floor, her body sinking to her knees. Using her magic to lock the door behind us, a tortured wail burst from her lips. Scooping up the medallion, the disk shattered upon impact. Metal shards rained over me, her hands cupping the sides of her head. 

“I want to go home! It isn’t fair that I have to stay here while everyone else can leave!” She screamed in frustration, Rosey struggling with what to do. “Fuck all of this!”  Twitching anxiously in her spot, her fingernails dug at the top of her hands. Leaping over to her, Rosey pressed her paws together.

“I have an announcement to make!” She sang gleefully, her words ending her outburst. “I am going to have a baby.” Her palm scooped her up, a busted grin lingering on her lips. Offering her an acorn, the news had me paralyzed in my spot. Fussing with my vest, her smile softened to her natural one. 

“Look at me prattling on about what I can’t have when I have all I need here. I am so happy for you two. It sucks being tied down with nowhere to go.” She commented with silent tears staining her cheeks, her palm scooping me up. Tears dribbled from her chin, my heart aching for her. Hugging us close to her chest, violent sobs wracked her body. Placing my paw on her cheek, her wet eyes met my gentle smile.

“I promise to find a way to get you there.” I vowed with a sincere smile, a strained huh leaving her lips. Setting us down on her knees, she waved her hands around to calm any concerns.

“Don’t worry about it.” She shot me down swiftly, rising to her feet. “Be a dear and don’t tell anyone what you witnessed. I would appreciate it.”  Wiping the last of her tears away, she shouted a cheerful apology as she rushed back to the kitchen. Rosey turned to face me, her tail swinging with anticipation. Gathering the courage to speak, my paw traced her cheek. 

“I can’t wait.” I choked out awkwardly, her arms yanking me into a loving embrace. “Don’t worry! I promise to be the best father a squirrel can be.” Lifting up her chin with my finger, my dear mate had nothing to worry about. Her paw lingered on my cheek, her beautiful smile stole my breath away.  

“Go help her out. Drowsiness plagues me.” Rosey chuckled lightly, her lips brushing against mine. “She needs you.” Scurrying towards our nest in the garden, my paws pounded towards the kitchen. A dejected Lottie hung outside the kitchen, curiosity twinkling in my eyes. Viktor and Darwin were shoving the pie in the oven, her face falling deeper into depression at their smiles. A long sigh poured from her lips, her arms folded across her chest. 

“Tell Soma it worked. I am going for a walk. I wouldn’t want to ruin their perfect moment with my anger.” She wept brokenly, her footfalls echoing down the empty halls. Lingering in my spot, something told me that I should follow her. Searching high and low for her, one spot remained. Scurrying out the window, I found her curled into a ball on the roof. A numb gaze haunted her features, her fingers clawing at the roof. 

“They didn’t even need me.” She grumbled under her breath, her mental decay made itself apparent. “What would happen if I didn’t come back home? Do you think they would move on?” Her hollow smile threw me off, her hand brushing away my attempt to hold her hand. 

“What’s the point of throwing away my chance of going home if I can’t even get close to the bad guy.” She huffed impatiently, her fists balling up. “Every time I get close it is a dead end. I want this battle to be over. You should be having fun with the others. A burden is all I am. Now my kid wants to take care of me because I am so sad. Where did I go wrong?” Not knowing what to say, she clutched me close to her chest. Snuggling into her shoulder, the sole thing she needed was to hold someone without speaking her secrets. Snores rang out in the air, her chest rising up and down. Happy she was getting the rest she needed, her black bags under her eyes told a tale of sleepless nights. The edge of the roof shifted, Darwin pulling himself onto the roof. 

Sitting next to her, his scythe rested on his knees. Gazing at the stars with his natural smile, a book bounced off of his lap. Opening it up, he presented a page to me. A big old grin illuminated my features, the answer to our problem was right there. Pointing to the ingredients, the special plants would cook into the stone that would allow her to cross into her homeland. Explaining to them that he could grow them, his smile never left his face. Boran poked his head out the window, a gruff groan pouring from his lips as he yanked himself onto the roof. Squirming out of her arms, he scooped her up. Chuckling heartily, he stole her away to their bedroom without a word. Darwin placed me onto his shoulder, fright rounding my eyes at him leaping off the roof. Skidding down roof after roof, we landed with a cloud of dirt. Pressing his palm to the loose dirt, golden balls of light floated into the air. 

“If we succeed, then she can be happy again.” He spoke with tears in his eyes, green stems growing from the ground. “Call me an idiot but I want to see her smile once more.” Iridescent flowers blossomed, the plants matching the pictures. Summoning a pile of wood and a metal cauldron, an orange flame flickered to life on the tip of his finger. Touching the wood, his magic was nothing to sneer at. Flames devoured the wood, a wave of his hand sending the water into the cauldron. Plucking the flowers from the ground, the song that she sang every night flowed from his lips as he crushed them into the boiling water. 

“The sun will shine tomorrow, the shadows will go away.” He sang in an angelic voice, my tail wagging to the same tune. “Blue skies drive the rain away. Sing the song of your heart, find the light in the night. Good night, my love.” A puff of glittering purple smoke revealed a lilac gem, his fingers plucking it out. Fishing around my pocket, I presented him with the empty shell of a pocket watch. Thanking me with a gracious smile, he dropped the gem in. A bright light blinded us, the light dying down to reveal a golden heart shaped locket with the gem glittering in the moonlight. Playing with the golden chain, he buried me in a hug. Yawning groggily, he carried me into Lottie’s bedroom. Shaking his mother awake, he presented her the gift with glittering eyes. Dragging her out of bed, dread bubbled in my gut. Yawning with every step, her back straightened at the door. Opening the door for her, she clutched the locket to her chest. Stepping through without getting shocked, her hand reached for his. Tears of joy flowed freely from her eyes, her hand yanked him through. Clutching him close to her chest, she thanked him over and over again. Wiping her tears away, her real smile returned to her face. Lifting up his chin with her finger, her lips grazed his forehead. Scarlet painted his cheeks, his real smile illuminating his features. 

“You are something, aren’t you?” She sniffled between wild sobs, her thumb wiping away his tears. “Nothing can describe the euphoria coursing through me. I love you so much.” Sinking to her knees, her fingers grasped the grass. The pink rays of the early morning painted her dainty features, her arms holding him tighter. Popping to her feet, she kicked off her boots. Spinning around, her hair floated up each time. Stopping on top of a hill, she held her arms out. Letting the chilly morning breeze blow her hair back, a fit of laughter burst from her lips. 

“I feel so alive!” She screamed into the sky, tears glistening on her chin. “This isn’t home. Darwin, you are home. You will always be my home.” The stone flickered, electricity burning her hand. Scooping up Darwin, they walked back through the door. An apologetic smile darkened his once joyous face, her hands cupping his face. 

“Don’t even say you are sorry.” She laughed softly to herself, the life returning to her eyes. “I don’t care that I can only go ten feet, my feet got to touch that grass. You are a wonderful son, Darwin.” A gust of wind knocked her boots back into her hands, her hand cupping his cheek. Smothering him in feverish kisses, both of them smiled at each with the truest of all loves. Placing her hands on her hips, another laugh escaped her lips. 

“I was wondering if I could maybe have some of that pie.” She chirped jovially, her natural smile never leaving her quivering lips. “Lead the way, my darling son.” Darwin perked up each time she said son, a wave of relief crashing over me. Scurrying after her, she sniffed the pie. Sliding on her boots gracefully, nothing could describe how serene she looked.  Cutting three slices, she winked as she placed it in front of me. Plopping onto a stool, her shaking hand tucked the locket into her boot. Placing Darwin on her lap, he couldn’t look any happier himself. Eating the pie together, my fraying nerves relaxed. The flavor was sweet and tangy, my paws dropping the fork. Rosey would love this, I thought blissfully to myself. Asking if I was okay, I excused myself to get my mate. Humming to myself along the way, something told that life was going to be okay.

March 29, 2024 17:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.