0 comments

Bedtime Funny Happy

"You have to come back Rain, you've done enough to protect earth from extraterrestrial destruction."

What does Rudra saviour want from me? How should I explain him that I am attached to this place, to this earth, to this colony, to the people here.

"Saviour command I like working here and I've made quite a few friends here. I'd like to stay."

"That's what we are more worried about and hence decided to pull you out, you can come back to your home planet. Dedication to friends kill the dedication to job."

"That won't happen Saviour command, I'm as dedicated to my work as ever."

"Aren't you tired of blending in with humans, keeping a check on you superpowers, doing the stuff we use to do thousands of years ago?"

"It's not that bad Saviour command. I can live a normal life here and do my job too. No one have to fill my place as 'Jaguar paladin' here any time soon.

"Rain I understand your attachment to that planet, trust me I've been there but you have to come back. Say your good byes."

"I will."

This is not fair and I've never wanted fair but now I feel bad.

Tomorrow morning my spaceship will land right here, in the centre of the house I've been living in for five earth years now.

It can compact and ability to become invisible, no one will see me go.

I have to bid my good bye today itself, Ana and Oma's wedding anniversary party tonight would be my last party with these people.

Lana and I had just started to add dalliance to our friendship, I wanted it to be more but now there's no time for more. I had great time being friends with him but maybe it was too much to ask with a human.

"Rain, are you not coming to the party? Look. You aren't ready yet."

"I'll be Lana. You go ahead please."

I can't tell him right now, I'll tell them all at the end of the party.

"Are you in a mood? God know why you get so sharp and jumpy sometimes."

"No I'm fine Lana. I just need to change. You can wait here if you want."

"What happen? You are not your usual self today."

Lana I've to tell you something. Can we sit down?"

"Of course Rain. Come on, I knew something was up."

"You two aren't ready yet. You know well that I can't wait for the cake. You want the cake or not?"

"We'll be there in a minute Pooh." I can't tell Lana now, have to wait for the end of the day.

"Lana it's not that important, I'll tell you later."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes yes. I'll go get ready."

(In the colony hall. Everyone from the colony and nearby society has gathered for Ana and Oma's party.)

"You know I'm going say something heartbreaking to these people here." Why am I telling this to a 5 year old kid, I think I'm drunk.

"What?"

"I can't tell you...... Alright listen. My boss,"

"We are not having a singing competition. Rain would you explain to El that we can't have a singing competition here."

"I would but I'm involved in kind of an important conversation with this kid."

"Rain wht don't you help Aunt Maya with the tables then sitting here with a kid."

"We'll continue later kid. Have fun while you can.

(Rain and Maya sitting tired on the tables they helped being arranged, cake cutting ceremony is about to start.)

"I don't believe this."

"You don't believe what?"

"Maya, have you ever had a feeling when you are attached too much to something and suddenly have to let go of it?"

"Yes, probably, maybe, no. I don't remember."

"Listen Maya, I'm going to tell you a big secret, a secret that isn't going to be a secret for long."

"I'm listening."

"Today I,"

"Wait let me guess. Today you are going to disclose your love for Lana. I'd love that but please do it after the function, it won't be nice the steal the thunder from Ana and Oma in their own party."

"No it's not true Maya. Okay just let it go."

I can't even plan it in my head. How am I going to pull it off.

(Everyone's applauding and celebrating in the party, Ana and Oma along with others are dancing in the centre of the hall as the spotlight fall on the two of them.)

"It's beautiful, isn't it? The love."

"It is Lana."

"I wish we can have a relationship as beautiful as Ana and Oma's, they are my most favourite couple in the world."

I can't wait any more, I have to tell Lana.

"Lana I have to tell you something and it's serious."

"Everything alright Rain?"

"Can we go someplace a little less crowded? Came on."

There won't be better time for this.

Yes, no one's here, this place will do good.

"Lana I'm sorry but our, this relationship is nor far from being over. I loved the time with you but something else came up and it's hard to deal with."

"Rain what are you saying, you aren't making any sense. Why is it over exactly?"

"Rain, Lana what ae you two doing here? It's your turn to dance, come on in."

"Pooh we are busy here."

Please let me say it now Pooh, I have to get over with this.

"You should've left your busy ass home. Come in we are having blast."

"Rain what's wrong?"

"Let's go in Lana I'll tell you with everyone else."

"You mean this concerns everyone?"

"Lana I've to go."

"You don't want to dance? It's fine."

"No I mean."

"You two stopped again, do I need to drag you here?"

(Rain and Lana were dancing as a couple with others but there were unsaid words hanging between them.)

"Listen up everyone. Can I have your attention here for a minute, won't be long. Thank you all. I just want to say a grateful thanks for giving me space among you all. I remember how weird I behaved when I came to live here. It just makes me laugh now. Brushing in the balcony instead of bathroom, sleeping on the sofa, dancing like a monkey but you taught me everything and that too without getting annoyed or irritated. Thank you for everything.

Thank you Lana for teaching me to cook a bit for myself when you are not around which hasn't happened till now. Thank you Pooh for sharing your pies with me, I can't thank each and everyone of you enough for being my best friends and my family."

"I had a great time here but now l must,"

(Suddenly a high pitched ringing startled them.)

"What was that sound?"

"Where did it come from?"

"That was so loud."

(Rain knew the sound, he sneaked away from the back while everyone was distracted and went home to check the source.)

"Saviour command you are here?"

Did he come here to take me home himself. He know I never disobeyed him.

"I'm here. Don't be surprised I'm not here to steal you time infact I'm here to give you more. You know I don't make the final decision, we all work in solidarity to protect this universe. It was the decision of all the units to pull you from the earth."

"I understand Saviour command and I was going to comply first thing in the morning."

"You don't have to."

"What?"

"You sounded so desperate to stay here earlier today and I made a combined work of all your achievements and send it to different units. Just a few seconds ago I got all the answers and everyone have agreed to let you stay here. Work here."

"But someday you are going to call me with the same news you call me today for."

"Maybe maybe not but for now you are here to stay."

"I think I should thank you."

"You don't have to since I did what was good for you and everyone else."

"I'm grateful Saviour command."

"You should visit home more often, it doesn't take that long."

(With these final words Rudra Saviour left in the the bubble shaped spaceship which expanded as he entered.)

This is the best moment of my life but how am I going to deal with the my friends now? They must have understood I was gonna say good bye. How will I deal with Lana?

Can I just say I was drunk?

There has to be some way.

(Rain goes out and into the hall where celebration is taking place. People are still talking about that weird sound.)

"Rain where did you go?"

"I was feeling drunk so I walked in open air to calm myself a bit."

"You were saying some real serious stuff and you just disappeared after that sound started ringing."

"Yes I apologise to all of you for that and Lana don't freak out please. That was my gaming device I bought online. I can't seem to get it's system right. I left it on and it just started ringing then I felt I should take a little walk outside so now here I'm."

"And what was that speech about?"

"Nothing Oma that was my gratification towards all of you that's it."

"That's it?"

"Yes Lana that's it. I honestly don't remember exactly what I said I was pretty drunk then."

"You were saying something about our relationship, the end to it."

"I was? I don't. Yes yes I was. And I'd like to say in front of everyone that mine and Lana's just friends relationship has come to an end and we officially announce that. Lana?"

"They know about us Rain."

"Maybe I'm still drunk. Still Lana and I are romantically connected and friendship will always remain the base to our relationship."

(Everyone cheered happily.)

That was a good save Rain.

Can I be more grateful for this day? No I can't be. This is the best day of my life.

April 15, 2021 11:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.