Whispers of the Forest

Submitted into Contest #260 in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Sad Mystery

In the heart of the medieval forest, a small shack cast a shadow over the land, the air hung heavy with grey mist as Ernest fled for her life. She pressed on undeterred despite the branches clawing at her clothes and roots reaching for her feet. Her hair blowing from the cold wind blocking her vision. The sharp thrones nagged at her legs making a sharp cut on her leg. She started limping through the forest after she saw the monster walking softer each time. She picked up the torn-up piece of her short jeans an wrapped her leg slowly and also paced her breathing at the same time. Fear pulsed through her veins as she felt a looming presence trailing behind her. Memories flooded her mind as she raced through the forest, seemingly feeding the unseen terror that pursued her with each step. Despite her attempts to push these emotions aside through denial and distraction, they continued to haunt her.

A sudden realization struck Ernest: the monster chasing her wasn't a physical entity but the embodiment of her own emotions. With trembling legs and a heavy heart, she earnestly stopped and turned toward the monster. Its expression shifted from aggression to a haunting reflection of her sadness. Its eyes, once filled with malice, are now filled with tears. Ernest found herself staring into a distorted mirror of her soul.

As she stood there, a strange calm washed over her. The monster, no longer fearsome, it seemed to shrink before her eyes, its form dissolving into the mist that dispersed into the air. What remained was not a creature of darkness, but a shadowy echo of herself—vulnerable, wounded, and in desperate need of understanding. As she embraced the sorrow she felt a weight lift off her shoulders.

As Ernest left the clearing where the pursuit had concluded, she departed with a realization. The monster that had tormented her was not there to hunt her down, but an aspect of her own being yearning for empathy and resolution. With each stride, she welcomed the complexity of her feelings, recognizing that genuine healing and acknowledging and accepting her sorrow, rather than running away from it.

The echoes of her past pains were lingering, but now she faced them with courage. She gained wisdom from confronting her inner monsters that embodied her saddest emotions.

Ernest continued to go deeper into the forest, her footsteps now steady. The sun seemed to embrace her casting a gentle glow upon her pathway. As she walked memories counted to surface, one by one, each one capturing a snippet of her life. She recalled her moments of joy and laughter that were once filled with warmth and empathy. Yet intertwined with her darker memories-moments of pain and loss that scarred her. Ernest has spent years trying to hide these painful memories that were dragging her down. Now, she understood that true healing required acknowledging her emotions. The ancient forest around her seemed to echo each step she took. She paused with a clear, glistening lake. She cupped her hands together and splashed water on her face. Ernest reflected on her inner monster. It had been a moment of realization of fears and anxieties. The journey through the medial forest became her inner landscape-the landscape that she navigated. The day turned into. the sky painted in orange and pink above the horizon. She acknowledged the pain of past disappointments and the ache of unfulfilled goals. She also discovered moments of gratitude. The strength that had carried her through difficult situations, for the lessons learned along the way, and to this moment of profound self-discovery. As night came, Ernest sat beneath the stars that shimmered like diamonds in the dark sky. The darkness no longer held fear for her; instead, it was comforting and warming, which she embraced every bit. She thought about the people who had given her warmth life—the friends who had offered support, who had imparted wisdom, and the loved ones whose memories still lingered in her heart. Ernest found herself whispering words of forgiveness—to others, but most importantly, to herself. She forgave herself for the times she had faltered she felt a weight lift from her shoulders, as if releasing a burden she had carried for far too long. As dawn painted the sky in shades of blue and light gold, Ernest rose from beneath the oak tree. She felt a sense of clarity wash over her. That she had not experienced in years. The forest, once a place of fear and uncertainty, had become her safe place—a space where she had faced her inner monsters and emerged stronger. With each step she took on her journey back through the forest, Ernest carried with her a renewed sense of purpose. She knew that the path ahead would not be easy challenges But she also knew that she possessed the strength to face whatever lay ahead of her, she was ready to battle them. As she emerged from the forest, the small shack where her journey had begun came into view. Its shadow no longer loomed over the land, but instead stood as a reminder of the courage and resilience she had discovered within herself. Ernest paused at the edge of the clearing, taking one last look back at the ancient trees that had witness to her transformation. Yet she also knew that she possessed the courage and wisdom to face whatever lay ahead with grace and determination.

As she emerged from the forest's embrace, Ernest turned back one last time to farewell to the ancient trees that had witness to her through her journey to finding herself. Their branches reached towards the sky like arms, as if they were applauding her for the courage she had shown and achieved. Ernest had a smile ear to ear with radiated from deep within her soul—a smile of gratitude, acceptance, and newfound peace.

carried with her the knowledge that she was no longer defined by her fears, but liberated by her courage to face them.

With a heart full of gratitude and a spirit, Ernest turned towards the horizon, ready to embrace the new chapter of her life. She thought about the wise old woman with the eyes that seemed to withhold the wisdom of age or the travelers who discover their journeys. As she disappeared into the mist, Ernest thought to herself. "Never give up, chase your dreams.

July 23, 2024 00:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.