They craved for you, you deserted them

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

You were born on the fluffiest of cushions and in the cradle of the kindest of hearts.Your cries got muffled in their warm embrace on the first go and your wailings lost their voice with their constant love.

 Right on the lap on your nanny, she swayed you tenderly with her affection; when the thorns of the world tried to prick you, she always managed to lift her lap up and thus sway you away from the pain; when she thought you were in trouble, she put you off to a sweet baby sleep, got up carefully not to wake you up, planting you in the fluffy rose bed, and like a knight fought off everything that dared to threaten you. 

Your grandpa stood tall and strong even on his week legs just for you, attaching you on his arm for you to see the world you craved when you cried in your crib; he stood strong when your parents were far, holding their jobs miles away, he became your mother when you needed to be fed with the milk bottles he always tucked near you, he woke up in the darkest of the night when you had a nightmare, quickly bringing you a glass of water still struggling on his fragile legs cause you were too afraid to venture in the dark. No wonder you always slept near him.

Then you grew up and both of them aged. Their limbs grew weaker by every passing second, they wrestled to take in a good healthy breath, their eyes went watery like the jelly you devoured. But by then, your parents got stable, they had employees under their hands, they had the 'financial stability' they strived for, so they offered you more time of theirs. 

Slowly you started forgetting your real parents, the ones who were there when everyone was away. But now, they grew uninteresting to your pumped up fresh bodies and they happened only to be a resource sucker, weak creatures tucked at some corners of your new big home, who always complained of having different food tastes and boring movie styles than yours. They grew invisible in your vision which now was all clad up with posting replies to the strong following you get on Instagram or Facebook. These strangers somehow deserved more time of yours than your grannies and grandpas who were now hardly walking straight and had all sorts of problems with their bladder. You forgot their smiles and sacrifices. All the things they did for you. Lost with time. Yet they always smiled when you spoke harshly mocking them for their bad tastes and slow pace, yet they always waited for that day when you bothered to send a glance at them just for a few seconds from your busy schedule; always wished to have that breakfast together without that familiar ting of your smartphone which grabbed your attention in a mini second, always craved to have that short walk to the park when you could share your stories you wished for someone to listen.

But no, your following just kept flying and your bundle of books never dwindled. They saw you sitting on the sofa, your favorite one, with bouncy feels, a phone in one hand, a coffee in other along with a large speck right on your nose. And so went your days just like theirs. But there was a difference. Theirs were the last ones

And then death came bouncing to free them from the torture.

First your grandpa. And then your nanny.

Your dome of protection lost forever. The two rocky chairs now empty. The deceased bladders gone, their fragile limbs disappeared, not a trace of them left, their foolish tastes lost and only the silence reigned.

That was the time you saw their presence. Heard their silent prayers and yearnings. Smelled the lost flowers that adorned your granny's white curly crown which your younger self relished making it messier. And savored the apple pies she baked with all her love. You recollected those soft laps which swayed with the wind, the cute lively dinners you had together where they tenderly extracted all the pointy bones in the fish, removed all the chilies that landed on your plate, and gently tore the large pieces of meat you never managed to chew.

You remembered the affection they always bestowed upon you for a flower you were in their eyes. A small snowflake they took the oath to protect. That was a superpower you thought. They could win anyone's heart they set out to protect. Carving their seats in the citadel of their hearts. Being cherished in their memories forever, defying the limits of space and time.

Yet, when the time came to return the favor back, you silently tiptoed back to your chambers, locked them safely for your privacy was a necessity, pulled out your earplugs and smartphone not to be out till dinner or maybe till the next day, when again you packed your bags with those heavy loads and rushed to the school, hardly glancing to those vulnerable souls who just needed a single smile and a short talk to win their hearts that resided in you. Yet, ting the bell launched and you got lost again as you always did till death felt sorry for them and picked them away from the torture you made them suffer.

You traitor. You had no trace of the superpower they held. Absolutely none.

Do you know what made death take them away?  Not their tender limbs and bad bladders. Not their milky eyes and faulty walk, not even their inability to defend the diseases.

You lost them because of your ignorance. You never thought of kissing them on their cheeks as you walked out of your home, sit next to them while sipping your coffee as they swallowed their bitter medicines, or take out a few minutes to hear their feelings they always wished to share with their heart - you. Yet, you never gave them the opportunity.

They craved for you,

You deserted them,

They loved you,

You ignored them,

They blessed you

You mocked them.

What choice did death have?

Tell me.

One thing I know,

You did not deserve them.

If you did,

You would spare them a second.

You would recognize their superpower and adopt it in your fiber.

Yet you didn't …

And ... you lost them.

June 29, 2020 10:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.