13 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy

 

                             The Final Triumph                         1

 

                               (3, 000 words)

 

Streaks of green stretched across the Norwegian sky. They rippled and danced, faded and reappeared again.          

 

                     “Wow!” Hazel yelled, wide-eyed.

 

                     Ryan said, “It’s magnificent.” 

 

Forgetting the Arctic chill Ryan and Hazel gazed upwards till their neck ached.

 

They stood on the deck of the chartered research vessel Aurora Borealis. The enveloping softness and the watery wilderness filled them with a sense of serenity. 

 

Ryan served as an Asrrophysicist and Hazel served as an Astrobiologist at NASA, in Washington. They were on a scientific expedition to the Arctic to detect the regular rhythm of radio waves.

 

Ryan woke up early the next morning and met Hazel on the ship deck.

 

                     "Good morning, Hazel,” Ryan said.

 

                     “Good morning,” smiled Hazel, fluttering her eyelids.

 

Ryan turned swiftly and looked at Hazel’s long, brownish hair that flew in the cool and crisp breeze. She quietly leaned on the railings, goggle-eyed and shack-jawed, gazing at the huge piles of snow lying ahead.

 

                 “Our vessel is willingly getting ice bound,” Hazel exclaimed. 

 

                  “Naturally” Ryan smiled.

 

 

 

                           The Final Triumph                         2                   

 

                   “What is limiting our understanding of key climate processes in the Arctic, Ryan?” 

 

                   “It is lack of observation, " answered Ryan.

 

                    “Let me get ready,” gushed Hazel, “it is already time to get down.”

 

 Neil, the British Ecologist, carried his instruments and kept walking alongside. A gust of stale air spewed toward the scientists while they walked towards the empty southern end.

 

                   “The place is stinking,” Ryan said, stumping away with his legs.

 

                   “It’s horrible, isn’t it?” Neil said with disgust as he drew in the air heavy with the odour of rotting invertebrates, fishes, and seabirds.

 

                   “Oh yes, it’s hard on my nose too,” Hazel agreed, wrinkling her nose.

 

The scientists moved further out towards the sea where an oily dead smell was hard on their nose.

 

                 “It’s a whale!” Hazel cried out.

 

                 Neil added, “It’s dead and decaying too.”

 

 Hazel and Ryan silently gazed at the pounds of rotting flesh while Neil took some scientific samples. Neil found pieces of plastic which blocked its intestines.

 

                “The oceans are no longer safe for marine life,” reflected Hazel, displaying deep distress over the death of the whale.

 

                “Yeah, you are right,” Ryan affirmed, as he took some snapshots.

 

                            The Final Triumph                          3   

 

The researchers knew that human beings continue to dump plastic and toxic material in the waters.

 

                 “Scientific disposal of waste can avoid such mishaps,” reflected Neil.

 

                 “You’re right,” said Hazel.

 

 Ryan finished with taking pictures.

 

 The scientists felt sorrow for the looming insecurity of the future and left the place.

 

They moved ahead while the sun made ripples of gold everywhere. The reading of the ambient thermometer increased, as Arctic ice melted. Hazel found an abnormal increase in carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere which exposed life to unbearable degrees.

 

                         “The rise in sea-water level continuously threatens our coastal towns and cities. The high tidal waves are not able to differentiate our cities by their names when they hit the coast line in fury,” Ryan said, piercing the deafening silence of the ice fields.

 

Hazel stood on the hard ice, tall and still, gazing absently at the blurred distance. The scientists walked a lot-and walked their talk, too.

 

The cool Arctic breeze touched Ryan’s face. Ryan shivered in the cold when his pager beeped.

 

                       “Postpone the expedition and report immediately to me. This is an emergency,” NASA deputy director growled over the beeper. 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          4

 

A couple of days later, Ryan entered NASA headquarters and settled to meet the deputy director of the agency. The chief of the organisation was sitting beside him on a plush settee.  

 

                       “I very much regret to deter the expedition,” barked the deputy.

 

                      “The world is at a breaking point. Our civilization is in grave danger of extinction. We’ve exhausted our fuel. We are heading towards a disaster. The end is not too far away,” the chief of the agency said in a gloomy tone. 

 

                       “Will every civilization in the world perish?" Ryan asked.

 

Ryan steadied his face and tried to calm himself down.

 

                  “Weather reports are pouring in from every part of the globe. We have snow in Dubai, rainfall in places like the middle of the desert in Rajasthan, and Addis Ababa has a hard-core winter,” grumbled the chief administrator of the premier space research organisation.

 

Ryan wrung his hands in anxiety.

 

                        “We have another expedition for you,” declared the deputy, “lead a team of scientists to the newly discovered astronomical body near Aries.”

 

                        “You’ve to venture through a wormhole from our solar system to another galaxy to explore potential solutions to the problem of global heating and the acute fuel crisis,” said the chief of the premier research organisation. 

 

                        “I’m intrigued by the plan, sir.”

 

 Ryan knew of the super-massive black hole where the dusty clouds of Aries floated.

 

                       “It is your chance to save modern Civilization. Best of luck to you in your new assignment,” cheered the chief of the agency.

 

                      “Thanks a lot, sir!”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

 

 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          5

 

                       “We’ve codenamed the mission Green Resurrection,” said the deputy, “best of luck,” he raised his thumb.

 

                      “Thanks, sir.”

 

Ryan knew how the mission would go: one wrong step and he would end up in chaos. 

 

Ryan entered the astrophysics arena to have a quick glance at the new spacecraft that was capable of transporting the researchers forward in time. The rocket was able to travel close to the speed of light. The small passive payload on the spacecraft and the new fuel tank attracted his attention. He met the astrophysicists led by Prof. Collins who had helped to design the time machine to reduce time dilation in space.

 

 Ryan thought about the human quest for unravelling the unknown and the triumphs in that search. He believed that the same spirit would send him out in the wilderness. He had knowledge of the fact that civilization has come from numerous discoveries that are made in the field of science. It heightened his self-esteem and he felt pride for his race.

 

Upon completion of astronaut training the scientists walked towards the time machine at Cape Canaveral, Florida.                                                                  The spacecraft left Earth’s atmosphere in minutes.

 

The onboard astronomers observed many astronomical bodies which passed by. Suddenly, a strong, turbulent wind carried clouds of fine particles and reduced the visibility. It drew the spaceship into a conflagration that increased its intensity. Prof. Collins, Hazel, and others sat at the desks with queer expressions on their faces.

 

 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          6

 

                         “The gusty wind is still blowing toward the fire,” said the second pilot cosmonaut, looking at the firestorm.

 

                         “Just relax,” Ryan replied.

 

The flight pilot threw a frightened look in the direction of the firestorm. The flames lingered on everywhere around the burning area. Prof. Collins seemed to marvel about the winds that blew from the perimeter of the fire into the burning area.

 

                        “Take a look at the burning wonder,” Prof. Collins said to Neil.

 

                        “That’s fantastic!” Neil exclaimed, peering through the porthole.

 

                        “Wow! That’s awesome.” Hazel couldn’t close her eyes to the wonderful sight.

 

                       “The view is simply breathtaking!” Prof. Collins exclaimed.

 

Ryan looked carefully at the burst of light to see it clearly. The firebrands burnt ceaselessly until they reached a tipping point. The flight pilot appeared relieved, since the wind speed died out. 

 

 Suddenly, the lights went out. The command deck plunged into darkness. Hazel and Prof. Collins cried out in anxiety. A gust of wind knocked the spaceship off its flight path. Only the screen lights kept flickering.

 

 

 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          7

 

 Ryan gazed through the porthole at the red flames and the twinkling stars. The spacecraft lost its speed, constantly. Ahead of the scientists lay the infinite space, wreathed in mystery and calm.

 

 Ryan communicated with the earthly station without using speech, writing, or any other normal method. The scientists worried over the gradual loss of pace. The spaceship required immediate transportation of energy. 

 

                   “Set the teleportation machine,” cried the chief physicist.

 

                    “Right sir,” the junior affirmed. 

 

                   “Decode and copy the reconstruction signals,” yapped the scientist. The mission control personnel reacted correctly with great swiftness. 

 

                   “Our tank is full to the brim, sir,” the pilot cosmonaut cried out.

 

The lights on the dashboard of the spacecraft indicated a successful transfer. The spaceship regained speed. Soon it got out of the deep space.

 

Ryan fluttered his eyelids when the lights returned. He glided towards the hallways. Ronnie, the first pilot, along with two others, lay on the hallway floor, blacked out and pale. The sight caused worry, woe and gloom on Ryan’s mind. The incident bore all the hallmarks of an attack. Ronnie raised his body to stand up after some time.

 

                        “Are you okay, Ronnie?” Ryan asked him. 

 

Ryan's eyes darted and his head swivelled.

 

 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          8

 

                        “I’m feeling a bit dizzy, sir,” Ronnie responded. “The entire cabin seemed to slide into a pit when the lights went out.” 

 

                        “Did you feel anything?” Ryan grimaced.

 

                        “No sir,” answered Ronnie.

 

                        “Go for a medical examination immediately,” Ryan advised.

 

 Other victims came back slowly.

 

                       “Search guys,” Ryan cried out to others, “someone must have seen what had happened.

 

They returned with some empty cylinders. The incident created an atmosphere of fear among the crew members.                                                           After some time, Ryan glided to the crew cabin. He peered through one of the portholes of his shack. 

 

 Suddenly, a small group led by a tall, bearded man entered the cabin. They looked at Ryan with cold, unflinching eyes and pointed their handguns at him. He overcame his doubts and fears and opened waves of radiation from his new Alpha vanishing handgun. The assailants perished in seconds. Their corpses vanished without trace. After sneaking aboard, the stowaways had somehow managed to hide in the cafeteria in order to spread terror. Ryan glided to the command deck again. Hazel lifted her eyes from her keyboard and peered out through the window.                                                         Suddenly, Ryan’s eyes fell on a massive flying object which he had never seen before. The octagon-shaped craft glided past in the glassy darkness, emitting a ribbon of smoke from its 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          9

 

massive tail. The object accelerated and decelerated alternatively. He stood perplexed and confused. Suddenly, Prof. Collins and Hazel arrived.

 

Horizontal wrinkles appeared on the professor’s forehead only for a fraction of a second. The colour quickly vanished from Hazel's face.

 

                      “It’s strange, isn’t it?” said Prof. Collins.

 

                      Hazel exclaimed, “I can’t believe my eyes!” The unfamiliar object vanished without a trace.

 

Hearing a loud noise the scientists glided swiftly to the command desk. They peered through the acrylic windows. A wind blew hard carrying clouds of dust which made for poor visibility. The scientists gazed in awe at a star which was lurking behind the dusty clouds.  

 

                        “It’s Aries!” yelled Hazel.

 

                       “I guess you’re right,” Ryan said.

 

                        “Can you feel a strong pull, professor?” Hazel asked.

 

                       “Yeah," groaned Prof. Collins, “this may be the pull of gravity.”

 

                       “Gravity is just a property of space-time itself,” Ryan said.

 

The spacecraft speeded up all of a sudden. Suddenly, a dark tunnel appeared in front of their eyes. 

 

                        “Get a peek!” Hazel cried out, “the tunnel is wreathed in mystery behind these dusty clouds."

 

                            The Final Triumph                          10

 

 Prof. Collins’ mouth hanged open.

 

                      “This may be the entrance to the Aries black hole of which the staff members of the cosmic subway station had mentioned,” said Hazel.

 

 

                      “You’re quite right,” answered the professor.

 

                      “Ronnie, fill it with phantom energy to exert negative gravity,” Ryan yelled.

 

 Ronnie released the exotic substance and the mouth of the tunnel wedged open. The spacecraft safely entered the dark hole.

 

Hazel stretched her mouth. 

 

                       “The pathway is too dense,” yelled Prof. Collins.

 

                       “There is no light in the tunnel,” Hazel screamed.

 

                       “Get a peek,” Ryan pointed at the other end of the dark tunnel, “another large hole!”

 

                      “The tunnel appears to have a pair of black holes stuck back- to- back, each facing out into its own realm of the universe,” said the professor.

 

                       “Is this a wormhole, professor?”

Hazel pulled up her eyebrows.

 

                        “Yes, that’s right.”

 

Just before the spaceship reached the point of no gravitational return the spacefarers  suddenly found themselves in another time and place, in another universe.

 

 

                             The Final Triumph                         11

 

 Ronnie noticed a signal that appeared on the computer screen. He lifted his eyes and peered through the porthole.

 

                         “We’re out of the tunnel!” Hazel cried out in excitement.

 

                         “That’s right,” said Ryan.

 

A green astronomical body attracted attention.

 

                       “It is picture perfect. Suddenly you really feel you are connected to the rest of space,” Hazel grinned. 

 

                       “Look at the computer screen,” the senior scientist pointed out, “you are able to see signs of a biosphere in the atmosphere of that green orb.

 

                      “Yeah professor,” Hazel said.

 

Ryan’s voice attracted attention. 

 

                      “No communication glitch now, right,” Ryan warned the spacefarers.

 

The spacecraft, with the rover in its belly smoothly orbited around the new celestial body. The signal conveyed clean and orderly indications to the crew members and the command deck buzzed with activity. 

 

 Ryan concentrated on his computer screen. 

 

                      “Achs!” Prof. Collins muttered, “the batteries may get damaged.”

 

                             The Final Triumph                         12

 

                        “One of the power channels is down,” huffed the flight engineer.                                                                 The spacemen badly needed a stroke of luck.

 

                      “I guess the bad weather will end very soon,” speculated Hazel.

 

                      “Let’s try and land on the far side,” Ryan suggested.

 

                      “That's a great idea, Ryan” supported Prof. Collins.

 

The scientists waited fervidly as repairs to the channel continued for some more time. The storm subsided after a while. Ryan observed all minute details about the astronomical body on his computer. Prof. Collins and Neil kept their eyes glued to their screens. 

 

Hazel sat by the desk, gazing moodily out of the window. Raman, the radio operator, listened attentively to the props of low frequency sound that was detected by the advanced radar.

 

                     “The weather has become fine and clear now,” Hazel grinned.                      

 

                     “The hour of landing has come,” Ryan breathed a great sigh of relief before gliding towards the module.

 

 Prof. Collins and Neil busied themselves with their computers. The second pilot cosmonaut and the radio operator kept gazing at the radar screen. The scientists used both robotic and crewed radars for the mission. The crew looked at the high-resolution camera that conducted minute observations prior to separation of the spacecraft from the rover. Ryan stood up and glided towards the cabin to prepare for the imminent landing. Hazel followed him. The excitement charmed him. Hazel gave a start when Ryan glided in.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

 

 

 

                            The Final Triumph                          13

 

                      “Here we go,” Ryan said as the spacecraft began to extend its module.

 

 The crew watched goggle-eyed when the advanced robotic module slowly entered the alien atmosphere.  It came to rest on the surface of the foreign land. It made a perfect landing while Ryan and Hazel watched the exotic landscape in amazement.

 

                       “The air in this unfamiliar atmosphere is perhaps made up of oxygen!” Hazel exclaimed. 

                      “The area is a rocky wilderness” Ryan chuckled, readjusting the space MAG and the helmet.

 

 Clouds of fine dust made smudges in the unique sky. Small microscopic particles were present on all sides encompassing the ambient air.

 

                     “Though uninhabited, the land appears fit for extravehicular activities,” Ryan guessed.

 

                      “Yeah,” said Hazel, “you may be right.”

 

                      “Let’s conduct a survey of the land.” 

 

                      “Well,” said Hazel, “let’s go.”

 

                      “Sure," answered Ryan.

 

Silence reigned in the desolate land. Only gusts of wind drove down the rough terrain.

 

 Hazel leaned in close and said, “Oh God, This place is giving me goosebumps!” 

 

                           The Final Triumph                        14

 

                    “Are you frightened of this uncomfortable wilderness?” Ryan asked.

 

                    “No dear, this is no Arcadia; this is a pitiless testing ground for human beings,” 

 

“Look at the vigorous growth that lies ahead,” said Ryan. 

 

Hazel took pictures to make photographs while Ryan gazed at the landscape. 

 

                       “I have an idea,” Ryan pointed at the huge growth.

 

                       “Tell me about that, Ryan." 

 

                       “Humans may acquire green skin by direct manipulation of the plant’s genes using biotechnology which will grant them the ability to perform photosynthesis. This unique capacity will surely reduce the ambient carbon dioxide and provide more oxygen that we need to breathe,” Ryan said.

 

                       “That’s a brilliant idea.”



                         “These unfamiliar leaves will also reduce fossil fuel burning and will decrease heat-trapping
greenhouse gas levels in Earth’s atmosphere,” Ryan said.


                           Ryan decided that it was the perfect time to harvest the pods. They pickedsome pods and collected the viable seeds for planting.

                         After some time, the scientists reached another stretch of land covered with luxuriant greenery. The terrain extended to the unfamiliar horizon. Thousands of diamond-shaped

                         The Final Triumph                          15

greenish forms with glossy appearance and vigorous growth soothed the eyes.
Ryan stepped inside the unknown overgrowth to breathe in the exotic air.

                          A gel-like substance emanated from the unique blooms in the ground. Ryan noticed that the physical properties of the exotic liquid were exactly the same as crude oil.

                         “I’m certain about our success,” Ryan grinned.

                         “I am confident that we have found the right substitute for gasoline,” Hazel reflected.

                         “Well,” Ryan said, “we are on the science side.”

                         “Yeah, it is a glorious triumph.”

                          A smile spread across Ryan’s face. Tears trickled down Hazel’s cheek. The imminence of departure filled Ryan’s heart with a strange sadness. Hazel made a clutch at Ryan’s body as the exotic land slowly disappeared into another realm of mystery and darkness.

                         The crew members gazed down upon a marine blue dot from the heart of darkness. Earth looked serene and awe-inspiring in Ryan's eyes.

                         “That’s our wacky little orb we call Earth,” Ryan said.

                         Hazel leaned in close and purred, “That’s where we’ve loved and lost down the ages.”

                          A blue light filled the layers and the familiar airs. Re-entry procedures
were initiated. When the scientists reached Earth, Ryan gazed at his son in
amazement who looked a little older.

...................................

 

April 20, 2021 15:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Sandip Dasgupta
14:11 May 04, 2021

Imagination with scientific thought process really made your story wonderful..

Reply

14:42 May 04, 2021

Thanks for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:36 May 02, 2021

Unique innovation and creativity!

Reply

14:41 May 04, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raja Guha
18:20 Apr 30, 2021

Dipayan, you have a great talent within, which has been revealed, the characters are well described and the story is well knitted to fit into best writers list. You have by now transformed into a professional story writer.

Reply

07:56 May 01, 2021

Thanks for the sugar-coated compliments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B C
17:47 Apr 30, 2021

Very intriguing indeed. Fantastic writing, Dipayan. All the best to you!

Reply

18:14 Apr 30, 2021

Thanks for the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sujoy Sarkar
15:34 Apr 29, 2021

Wonderful Dipayan.....You remind me of Isaac Asimov.....Fantastic storytelling

Reply

16:33 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks for the candysweet hyperbole!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mousam Ray
15:32 Apr 29, 2021

Beautiful story, love this.

Reply

16:34 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks for the kind appreciation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:35 Apr 27, 2021

A group of NASA scientists venture through a wormhole from worn-out Earth to another galaxy in search of a substitute for fossil fuel to save Earth from a climate apocalypse. Can they save it?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.