27 comments

Sad Drama Creative Nonfiction

Violet died.

It wasn't a hard death, at least not physically.

When it was discovered that she had uterine cancer, it had spread throughout her body, so nothing could be done and there was no time. She died six months after she threw me out on the street. I remember the last thing she said to me was: "Don't ever come back. I don't want to see you again."

She got what she wished for.

My name is Elim.

I live in a place you've never heard of, and I probably wouldn't even know it existed if, ironically, I didn't live there. Nothing special can be said about that city except that people there love masks. They like to use masks in everything they do; masks are their way of life. When they talk to you, they wear a mask; when they go to work, they wear a mask. You never get a chance to get to know the person under the mask.

Violet was an expert in masks, a collector would be the right word for her.

She had a mask for every occasion, sometimes several variants of one mask. In my eyes, I classified her as a "control freak," a person who always had to have everything under control. From her appearance, how she pronounced sentences, and all the way to the extreme.

Someone might say that it is not nice to talk badly about the deceased. I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I lived with that woman for seventeen years and have every right to speak about her as I wish. I didn't have a nice word to say about her while she was alive, why should I change that now? I hope she suffers wherever she is as much as she has caused me. Sounds ugly, doesn't it? When you read something like that and think what a terrible person I am. But you do not know anything about me, do you? You make an opinion about me based on two or three sentences that I wrote in an ugly way. You have no idea who I am and who Violet is.

People in this town are superstitious — they will say they are wise. How is it possible that we have so different opinions about the same thing? Probably because they believe in the supernatural. I am not talking about believing in "heaven" and "hell," but in those incredible myths that grandmothers used to scare their children when they were "naughty." You know what I mean. Witches, werewolves, and the other monsters.

In this city, they believe that the dead return when there is a solar eclipse in the sky.

The first time I heard about that myth, I laughed for a half hour while wiping my tears, and holding my stomach as it hurt from the convulsions.

I mean, really? Solar eclipse brings back the dead?

“Come on, you can do better than that,” I told them, grinning from ear to ear.

They explained to me that the dead don't come back, but the memories of them, and haunt you all day without leaving you alone.

It's not that solar eclipses happen every year, but today it appeared. I can attend that seemingly mysterious event for the first time in my life. Supposedly, the next eclipse will be again in twenty years.

I'll admit, my skepticism quickly subsided when I realized I'd been thinking about Violet since I got up. I even believe that I dreamed about her last night. And now a part of me is starting to believe in the myth that memories of her have come back to haunt me. Damn solar eclipse. As if she didn't haunt me enough while she was alive.

Again, someone could misunderstand that I hate Violet. Wrong again. For me to hate her, it means that I would have to have at least some feeling for her, and she sucked that out of me a long time ago, even while she was alive. Because that is what emotional vampires do. They drain your emotions and energy until you are an empty shell. I almost became that, an empty shell of a man.

Fortunately, mine, of course, I managed to bring her to the highest stage of her anger, so she drove me away. She saved my life with that. Of course, it wasn't her intention, she simply lost control and her mask fell from her face, revealing the monster she was from the start.

Who can take a two-year-old child under his care and never tell him that he loves him, is proud of him, and calls him son? All that matters to her is the money she receives for him every month. Is that a mother? I do not know, I've never met her or had her.

At the age of sixteen, I believed that I would become a serial killer, only because all the women in my life failed and left me. I never had murderous thoughts or hatred towards women, in fact, I worshipped them more every time I was hurt. Sadism, maybe? I would not know. I believe that psychologists would have a hundred words about it.

Violet appeared just as the people said she would. She came to haunt me, at least for one day. It doesn't matter that that eclipse in the sky lasts barely five minutes; it will stay in my mind for the whole day if not longer.

Violet didn't like doctors, that's not an understatement, she hated them. Regardless, she had no reason to. But she was like that. She hated me too, although she had no reason to. Never.

For her, doctors were predators who were just waiting for her to show up to them so they could "open" and "cut" her. She shuddered at the thought of going to the doctor for an examination. Her justification was always the same: "As soon as you go to the doctor, they will find something is wrong with you." However, it turned out that she was right. When she finally went to one of them, they found cancer. Irony is a bitch, isn't it?

I never understood where all this hatred towards me came from. Seventeen years of hatred poisons your mind and body. Is that a reason she got cancer? It crossed my mind a hundred times, and I promised myself at the same time that I would never hate anyone. And I stick to it.

Even now that the devil's solar eclipse darkens the sun and Violet haunts my thoughts, I don't hate her. I'm just angry that I can't get answers from her, but only memories that I would rather hide in the dark basement of my subconscious where I left them the day I attended her funeral.

Are you surprised?

Huh, you did not expect me to be at her funeral, did you?

But I was.

I stayed in her house for the next year, taking care of her husband and her son, who also pushed me away a year later, blaming me for her death. Some things don't change whether she's alive or not. The poison she left behind eventually affects everyone nearby.

It comforts me that I will never be like you, Violet, that I am nothing like you. And I am grateful for showing me how great a person I really am and not a damaged being that no one wants or loves like you reminded me for seventeen years. My only misfortune was that I grew up surrounded by the wrong people. Or you were the right person for me from the start. I do not know, time will tell.

This solar eclipse will disappear and these memories that I am reliving will disappear, but if we meet again in twenty years, I hope I can write something similar to this again. To show you that I am still a better person than you ever were.

Find your peace, Violet.

April 09, 2024 12:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Daniel Rogers
13:58 Apr 14, 2024

This unknown city isn't the only one who loves masks. They are worn by people all over the world. Nice job. You jumped right in with a shock and then unraveled it for us to understand why the seemingly visceral response from Elim. And thank you for reading my latest Lady Nimmo story. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:42 Apr 12, 2024

Hi Darvico. I read this because I knew a Violet who died. She was a little girl of 3yrs who had never been healthy in her entire life. She was born with a congenital kidney problem which ended her life. She was the happiest most positive child. She grew up in a children's hospital with her mother, and the rest of her devoted family also supporting her. In the end they couldn't do anything for her. They had a compatible kidney, but she was too ill to survive the operation she needed. So, no similarity to your Violet. Yours sounds like someone...

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
21:57 Apr 12, 2024

I didn't really want to write about Violet, it just happened. I thought it was obvious when I wrote: " Who can take a two-year-old child under his care and never tell him that he loves him, is proud of him, and calls him son? All that matters to her is the money she receives for him every month. Is that a mother? I do not know, I've never met her or had her." I almost died from kidney stones when I was 15 because no one didn't believe the pain I suffered so I had to walk 1.5 kilometers alone in pain to get to the hospital where I stayed for...

Reply

22:25 Apr 12, 2024

Funny how prompts make you think of stories and you just write them. Then afterwards, you ask yourself, "Did I write that?" Stories seem to have a life of their own. Editing. You can only do so much yourself. There are lots of online articles that explain how you can go about it. Before a professional edit. You are right to point out the reference to who you were to Violet. Did you say 'his' or 'hers' in the actual story? Sometimes a reader can't make sense of what is on the page. I did begin to change my idea about who you were from that ...

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:30 Apr 12, 2024

I always wanted her to call me son. That was my point in asking how could she raise me and not feel anything. Her all family lived with us - didn't matter. I was abandoned by birth. Never met my biological parents. I haven't had kidney problems for 20 years now (knocking on the wood!!) My wife takes care of that. Love is the best medicine for everything.

Reply

22:46 Apr 12, 2024

You deserve lots of love. Just be careful that your experiences don't make you cold and distant. (My mother went through the war years in Europe and suffered other tragedies. She was a great parent but not a warm, cuddly one. We think it happened due to her experiences - I want to read your story about the war.) You seem to be a survivor. Being a creative writer will help. Sometimes the stress we have been through means we cannot cope with more stress. And we can also suffer from pre-stress anxiety. Where we think worst case scenario and for...

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:53 Apr 12, 2024

No worry. I had two beautiful two daughters who are my world and I give them all that I didn't get from my foster parent. I have so much to give and I'm a hopelessly optimistic man. Hahaha. A stand-up comedian for ten years. There is no better therapy than that.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
11:04 Apr 12, 2024

Great story! It's a powerful reminder that even in the face of adversity, one can choose empathy over hatred, and ultimately find peace. Rest in peace, Violet.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
12:39 Apr 12, 2024

Thank you, man.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:01 Apr 11, 2024

Very powerful story and evident it came from the heart. Keep it up.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
05:17 Apr 11, 2024

Glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Hewitt
02:02 Apr 11, 2024

“The poison she left behind affects everyone eventually” great sentence and very true. The scars people carry with them from the abuses of others is tragic. Very well done

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
05:17 Apr 11, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
18:56 Apr 10, 2024

A very strong story, Darvico. Very dark. Using the eclipse was the perfect vehicle to tell such a dark story with light shining through at the end. You have the talent to allow the reader to feel your stories, not just read them. You take us on a journey.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:20 Apr 10, 2024

That is very kind of you. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isabel Jewell
16:06 Apr 10, 2024

This was amazing! Deep, powerful and clear in writing style! I found myself in suspense while reading and intrigued — I want to know more!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:08 Apr 10, 2024

Keep visiting and if I find the right prompt I write more. It is good therapy. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
15:50 Apr 10, 2024

Ah Darvico…fiction or not, I know there is a true experience hidden in this story. Interesting that we both approached the eclipse prompt as a personal reflection. I loved all of this piece. I could relate so closely to it, especially the masks everyone wears making it near impossible to ever fully know even those to whom we are closest. My “Violet” was my father and I still feel about him as you do about her. I’m just glad the eclipse didn’t bring him back. It couldn’t: he haunts me daily so even cremation didn’t get rid of him. Bravo!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
16:46 Apr 10, 2024

Violet was my foster parent. We understand each other. That is why your stories are so personal to me. Bravo to you too.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:00 Apr 10, 2024

Kindred spirits Darvico 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:17 Apr 09, 2024

Thank goodness you have been able to rise above a terrible childhood, recognize it was not your fault and become a responsible man. Peace be with you. Thanks for liking my 'Because He Lives'.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
18:14 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks for the comment, Mary. Very kind of you. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:02 Apr 09, 2024

“The poison she left behind affects everyone eventually.” “Memories that I would rather hide in the dark basement of my subconscious..” you build a vivid picture of a person who inflicted her damage on others. Unfortunately, that can last long after a person’s death like a bitter poison. A strong account.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
18:21 Apr 09, 2024

Glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Moore
13:47 Apr 09, 2024

Dark, but personal. A troubled tortured mind very relatable.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
14:16 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.