0 comments

Crime Drama Fiction

Isaac was over 6 feet in height. At 40 he was ruggedly handsome though his hairline was receding. He had been a sportsman while studying law and had even won a marathon. He had also won oratorical contests while he was a student. After a spell of apprenticeship with a well-known legal firm, he had set up private legal practice in a downtown area. He would commute for work by car from his home not far away in an apartment. Isaac had good legal knowledge and clients would come to him based on his reputation. Besides legal apprentices he had a woman lawyer working for him. He had selected her based on her experience despite the fact she was handicapped. Her husband who was a drunkard, had severed her left hand at the wrist. He had then fled, was untraceable and was believed dead. Lily would assist Isaac in legal matters. It had been 5 years since he had set up practice and it was making him rich.

Isaac had remained a bachelor. He had a cook who would come and prepare food in the evenings besides during weekends. Isaac preferred to eat out at lunchtime. During weekends Isaac would regularly work out at the gym where he was a member. That Sunday morning Isaac had finished his workout when the gym owner Lal who had come to know Isaac well came and spoke to him.

Lal said “Mr.Isaac please come to my office for a few minutes. I want to talk to you.”

“Sure Mr.Lal.”

They were in the office when they were served coffee and biscuits from the restaurant alongside. Isaac said “This coffee is very good.”

“Yes. I might buy that restaurant as it is on sale.” He paused and said “Mr.Isaac you’re a well known lawyer. I’m not trying to seek your service without payment. Two of our members quarrelled and damaged some property here. Both of them declined to pay for the damages. Of course I’ve kept them out of the gym. What do you suggest I do?”

“Very simple. Get an estimate for the damaged property to be repaired. Then send.......”. He stopped and added “You know where my office is located. Take the estimates there and talk to Lily who is my partner. She will do whatever is necessary when you use my name. There will be no charge for a friend like you since it’s a small matter.”

Isaac reached home and was parking his car when security man Dev came and wished him. Dev said “I’m a poor man and have a problem. You’ve a reputation for helping the poor. Can I seek your help?”

Isaac who had parked and was seated in the car said “Dev you’re on duty now. Can you come up with me?”

“Sure Sir. There is another security man on duty at Gate 2.”

Getting down from the car Isaac said “Dev come with me.”

Isaac opened the door of the flat and asked Dev to be seated. But Dev refused and remained standing. Isaac said “Now tell me your problem.”

“I’ve rented out a portion of my property where my tenant runs a shop selling petty ware. His business is very good but he doesn’t pay me rent regularly. I threatened him but he is unafraid. I would like to force him out. What can I do?”

Isaac said “You know my office. Go there and talk to Lily.”

“I know the lady whose left hand is missing.”

“Go to her and tell her I’ve sent you. She’ll ask for certain documents. She will then tell you what to do.”

“Thank you sir. I hope I won’t be expected to pay much. Sir, I’ve 3 children and.....”

Isaac silenced him and said “Lily will do everything for you for free.”

Isaac then sat and read the newspapers. He knew the cook would’ve prepared lunch and gone. He was hungry and sat at the dining table. There were chappatis, dal and chicken pulav besides a curry of 3 vegetables. Isaac finished lunch appreciating the cook’s culinary ability. He then sat back in his sofa and as usual took a nap. His favourite dream appeared to him: He was giving up legal practice and was being elected to political office. Why not? He asked himself. He was a success as a criminal lawyer. He had a reputation for helping the have nots. Since he was always approachable many would seek his advice and help and he would render whatever was possible. He would set apart a portion of his earnings and would allow Lily to use it for have-nots. He was sure that if only the opportunity came and he could stand for election he would defeat all opponents. As he proceeded with his nap he had a vision of succeeding in his pursuit of politics.

A month later, a man came to see Isaac in his office. He looked suspiciously at Lily who was working on a computer nearby. Isaac said “Lily is my partner. You can talk freely in her presence.”

The man said “I’m Jain from the Chief Minister’s office. What I’ve to say and the entire matter must be kept very, very confidential. I was referred to you because of your reputation.”

“I assure you that nothing will leak out of this office. I’ll do whatever the CM says. I’ve the highest regard for him. Can you provide proof that you’re from the CM?”

Jain showed a document from the chief secretary. Jain said “Call that number and check.”

Isaac called the number and he was told the chief secretary was with the CM. She said “I’m CS’s PA. This is a confidential number. How did you get it? Who’re you?” There was panic in her voice.

“Do you have a Jain working there?”

“No. Who is Jain?”

Isaac had switched off. He said “Mr.Jain I haven’t still been able to prove you exist in the CM’s office.”

Now there was a call and the same female voice said “You had wanted the Chief Secretary. I’ll connect you.”

The CS’s voice came “Why do you want to know about a Jain?”Isaac disconnected and said “I haven’t still got your identity but let me hear what you’ve to say.”

Jain said “The CM’s daughter’s wedding has been fixed. Meantime a person has sent a message to the CM saying he has some photos showing the CM’s daughter in a compromising position with another young man. He wants a big amount in cash.”

Isaac said “That is blackmail.”

“Certainly. Let us call the blackmailer ‘Zephyr’. He will be available at an address he has given in this sheet of paper from him. He wants the money to be given to him. The CM leaves it to you to do whatever is appropriate. You’ll be adequately compensated.”

After Jain had left, Isaac gave the details to Lily. Looking at the paper that Jain had given him he said “Zephyr lives in a village not far away. He has given his phone number. Let me call him.”

Isaac called up and said “I’m CM’s friend. Can I see you at your address in an hour?”

Zephyr said “Come. I’ll be waiting.”

Lily now prompted “Isaac, you’re scheduled to appear in Haq’s murder case today.”

Hiding the phone Isaac said “It’s been adjourned as police aren’t ready. I forgot to tell you.” He said into the phone “I’ll be there.” Putting off the phone he said “Lily, Zephyr is available. Let’s go and see him.”

Isaac and Lily went in his car. Nearing their destination Isaac got Zephyr’s exact location and reached his place. It was an old house, well maintained but apparently empty. They could see no furniture except 4 cheap plastic chairs.  Zephyr apparently alone, received the two warmly and got them seated inside. He was short but well built, bald but with a big moustache. Isaac said “Let’s not waste time. Show us the photos.”

Zephyr brought out a box and picking out photos from it said “These three shots will convince the would-be bridegroom to give up the proposed wedding.”

Isaac studied the pictures and handed them to Lily. She took one look and said “These are fake.”

Zephyr was furious and got up to assault Lily. Isaac punched Zephyr and felled him. “You can’t assault a defenceless woman.”

Zephyr said “These are actual shots.”

Lily said “Shut up. Don’t think I’ve forgotten the Alva case. You were then convicted for blackmail and extortion.”

Isaac said “Lily let’s go. This fellow has no evidence.”

On their way back, Isaac called the deputy chief of police and said “Pinto, I need a small favour. Can you check out a zephyr whose location is............ Much obliged. Thanks.”

He turned to Lily and said “Pinto was my college mate.”

Lily said “I was an apprentice under Bilimoria who handled the case against Alva as Zephyr was then known. He had blackmailed a prominent businessman and was sent to jail.”

“I recall the case. Many thanks for solving this case.”

That evening, Isaac said to Lily “Pinto has sent me a message. He says police checked and found no one in the location given. The crook has flown.”

Isaac then called up Jain and told him that the would-be blackmailer had vanished.

Within half an hour Jain called back and said “The CM wants to see you this evening at 6 in his office.”

Isaac was there before time and Jain received him and said “You can go in now.”

It was a momentous hour for Isaac with the CM saying “We need dedicated people like you to serve the people. Get ready to contest the next election due in 3 months. I know you’ll be elected as I’ve heard that you’re quite popular with all and sundry.”

Isaac thanked the CM. His dream was coming true!

END

November 02, 2020 10:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.