Wake Me Up When December Ends

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write about a few people spending a long-overdue weekend away at a cottage.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Note: I am in the Southern hemisphere, so this story is set at the end, rather than the middle of the year.

It was a sweltering day in the beginning of December, when the following message arrived in the inboxes of Lucy and Cain, Jamie, Tanya and Dennis. “Hey gang, join us for a fun filled time on the 10th of December. We’ve hired a cottage, close to the beach (it even has a hot tub for you Tanya).  It’ll be a great weekend away, our treat. I feel we all need it before the holidays set in.” The senders of the message were mutual friends Carol and Steven. Attached to the email was a link to the place they would be staying. It was by no means cheap or tiny but fortunately, the couple had plenty of money to spare so it was no issue for them to accommodate all their friends. The 10th rolled around quickly and the friends met up at Carol and Steven’s. The plan was to all drive down together. Soon everyone had arrived, bar one individual. “Sorry, but Cain won’t be joining us.” Lucy told everyone. “He’s really busy at work. So busy, that Chelsea has to stay with my parents this weekend.” Chelsea was the couple’s three year old daughter whom could be a handful at times but that did not change Lucy’s adoration for her. Everyone nodded. “Oh well, that’s a shame.” Steven said. “At least I won’t be the only one flying solo then!” Jamie laughed, giving Lucy a playful nudge. They were old childhood friends and Lucy hoped that this getaway would help Jamie feel better about his current domestic situation. She couldn’t imagine not being able to see Chelsea, for Jamie to be denied a chance to parent his three children who were aged 8, 5 and 3 was heart-breaking. 

“Okay, let’s load up the car.” The individuals noticed the car already seemed quite full. “Carol, are you bringing the kitchen sink with you?” Tanya joked. Carol shook her head. “It’s hard to travel light, you know?” Dennis shrugged. “I don’t see you travelling any lighter honey!” His wife shushed him. “I’m just going to check on Julia and Alex.” Carol explained. “I’ll come with you, I need to use the restroom before we leave.” Lucy told her. They went inside the house. Lucy always admired the couple’s décor. They could certainly afford it with their high-end jobs working at an accounting firm with a stellar reputation. Though Cain’s income as a lawyer kept her family comfortable. After coming back from the bathroom, Lucy heard Carol explaining to 16 year old Julia and 14 year old Alex the family’s expectations for their behaviour while they were gone. “We’ll be fine Mum. I promise, no parties.” She gave them both a firm hug, as if she could lose them at any moment. “If you need anything, Mrs Yates next door can help.” Carol turned back to them. “And don’t order too much pizza.” She noticed Lucy entranced by one of their photos. “Are you ready to go?” Carol’s tone seemed tense. Lucy stood up straight.  “Ah, yes. Sorry.” They went together outside. As they walked, Lucy asked Carol, “are you guys going to be okay to do this trip? I mean, this is the first time you’ve left Julia and Alex alone since…” Carol blinked at her and almost gruffly stated, “Yes, yes. We’ll be fine.” Lucy did not push further, she felt she had gone too far already. The truth was it was impossible to know what to say to someone whose life had been completely turned upside down only three months ago. Three months ago, Julia and Alex weren’t Carol and Steven’s only children. Unfortunately, 17 year old twins Kevin and Amy, didn’t realise the person meant to be driving them home from the party, had had too much to drink. This teetotaling driver ruined the lives of the parents of the four teenagers in the car, in just one night. “I’m sorry.” She touched Carol’s shoulder who brushed her off, but lightly. “Don’t fret about it. Let us…just enjoy ourselves this weekend… without worrying about the kids.” Lucy nodded and they joined the others.

Meanwhile, as Jamie was distracted chatting to Steven, Dennis pulled Tanya aside. “So…do we tell them?” He asked. Tanya shrugged. “About what?” Dennis sighed. “You know what.” She looked at Jamie and Steven, still in an animated conversation. “I don’t think they should know yet. It will put a damper on the weekend. Particularly after everything Carol and Steven went through with the kids, I think it’s a bad idea to add to the drama…” It was only a week ago, that Dennis had gone for a checkup at the doctors after experiencing persistent pain in his abdomen. The news was not good. Being 43 and told the Colon cancer you had was so aggressive that this would likely be your last Christmas was not what you wanted to hear. They were still trying to process the news. “Okay, we’ll keep it to ourselves.” Dennis replied. “Looks like we’ll be heading off soon anyway.” Tanya noticed Lucy and Carol coming back. She thought Carol’s eyes looked watery. Hopefully, she would be able to enjoy this trip without being too concerned about how Julia and Alex were faring. “Well if we’re all ready, let’s go.” Steven said. The group hopped into the car and they headed to the cottage, looking at all the amazing scenery along the way.

“We’re here.” Steven announced. “Yes, we are Captain Obvious.” Carol winked at him. She seemed to be in better spirits than earlier, Lucy noticed. In the photos everyone had seen, the views did look stunning, but they were even better in real life. Wisteria coated the outside of the entrance.  “Now, there are actually five bedrooms so you can take your pick.” Carol explained. “Well, where’s the one closest to the hot tub?” Tanya asked. “I don’t know why you want a hot tub in this heat?” Dennis shook his head. “It’s for later when it gets cooler, silly!” She cooed. “It even has two lounges, so if we get sick of each other, we don’t have to be in each other’s faces!” Steven joked. “Also, we’re taking the master bedroom with the king size. It’s only fair, don’t you think?” He continued in a lighthearted way. “I don’t see a problem with that.” Jamie mused. “You’ll have to fight Lucy for one of the rooms with a queen bed, there’s only one after Tanya and Dennis take the other! The rest are singles!” Lucy tapped his shoulder. “Race you!” They laughed and ran to find a room with a queen bed first. Lucy ended up winning. “Truce.” She held out her hand. “All right, truce.” Jamie shook it and wandered to his single bedded room. 

“Hey, do you want to go to the beach before we do the barbeque?” Carol asked Lucy later in the early evening. “Sure, I just want to check in with my parents that Chelsea is okay.” Carol nodded. “See you in a minute then.” She closed the door. Lucy’s parents answered the video call on the second ring. “Hello honey, how are you?” Her mother asked. “I’m good Mum. I just wanted to talk to Chelsea quickly.” She nodded. “No problem. I’ll go find her, she was playing with her ukulele, giving your dad a show just a second ago.” The mother wandered through the house until she found Chelsea. “Here honey, Mummy wants to talk to you.” The toddler with a cherub face and primarily Lucy’s blonde features grinned. “Hello Mummy!” Her face filled the whole screen. “Hold the phone back a little Chels.” Her grandmother advised her. “Hello darling! How are you?” Chelsea stared directly at the camera, smiling. “I good Mummy. When you coming home?” Chelsea tapped the phone. “I’ll be back in two sleeps darling. You’ll have lots of fun with Nana and Poppa though. Nana said you were playing the ukulele.” Chelsea nodded excitedly. “Yes, I show you!” She picked up a purple ukulele off the ground and started playing. “I love Mummy, I love Mummy, I love Mummy, Yes I do!” Lucy clapped. “That was brilliant darling! I’ve got to go now, but I’ll see you in two sleeps time, okay?” Chelsea replied, “Okay Mummy.” Lucy blew a kiss to the camera. “I love you Chelsea.” She heard “love you too Mummy,” before her daughter’s face disappeared and it turned into a screensaver. Her heart panged for the little girl. She was certain Cain did not miss her at all. His work always seemed to come first, leaving no time for family.

Down at the beach, Steven and Dennis tried their hands at surfing. “That’s not going to end well!” Carol laughed. “It’s okay, I’ll rescue them if they get into too much trouble.” Jamie replied. He was busy reading, whilst watching the upcoming sunset. Lucy sat next to him. “It’s beautiful, don’t you think?” Jamie nodded, still engrossed in his reading. Tanya was busy resting her eyes underneath her sunglasses. Soon enough, Dennis fell off the board and came towards the others, clutching his stomach. “Dennis, are you all right?” Carol asked, concerned when Dennis seemed to truly be in pain. He nodded but grimaced. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just pulled something I think.” Tanya quickly jumped up from her towel. “Do you need a doctor?” He took her hands. “No. Honey…” Dennis turned towards the others who were looking on. “I’ll be okay. I just might go lie down for a bit.” He gave Tanya a kiss. “Love you.” Then waved to everyone else as he made his way back to the cottage, still clutching his stomach and limping in pain. “Should someone go check on him?” Carol asked. Steven shook his head. “You heard him, he’ll be fine. Let’s enjoy some more beach time before it gets dark.” Carol sighed reluctantly. Something definitely wasn’t right with Dennis and it seemed that Tanya knew that.

Back at the cottage, the friends settled down for a barbequed feast. Dennis managed to make it down for some meat but then had to go back to bed. “Are you sure you’re okay man?” Steven asked. “Yeah, I think I’m just tired, that’s all.” He shrugged. “All right then, sleep well.” Dennis left the room. “Who wants some champagne?” Carol asked the group. “Are you kidding, I’d love some!” Tanya grinned. “Okay, I’ll try some.” Lucy smiled. “And you Jamie?” Carol wondered. Jamie thought for a moment. “Well you know I’m more of a beer guy, but why not?” Carol turned to her husband. “And I know you’ll have a glass with me honey?” Steven laughed. “Of course! If I’m the one popping the cork, I need to have some of the spoils!” Carol handed the bottle to him. “Ready?” He asked everyone. “Just do it already!” Tanya yelled in jest. The cork popped and Steven divided out the liquid. When everyone had been served, they raised their glasses. “To finally having a vacation!” Others muttered, “here, here.” Lucy raised her glass higher. “To Carol and Steven, the best friends we could ever have. Thank you so much for this trip.” Everyone smiled. “To Cain, sorry he couldn’t be here with us.” Steven added. It was mostly Jamie that noticed Lucy seemed uncomfortable with the mention of her husband. But she seemed to quickly brush it off. “To great friendships, may they last forever.” She looked at Jamie then darted her eyes to the others. After a few glasses of champagne, the friends decided to call it a night. “We’ll have lots of fun in the morning!” They laughed. “Well I’m going to the hot tub for a bit, if anyone wants to join me.” Tanya drawled. Later on, when they had settled into bed, Carol asked Steven, “Did you think it was strange with Dennis this evening? He really didn’t seem okay.” He shrugged. “I don’t know, I’m sure he’s fine.” He paused. “Don’t go sticking your nose into things Carol. You know how it felt for you after we lost Kevin and Amy…” She sighed. “I know, I know. But I just want to be there to support them, you know. Tanya and Dennis have been our closest friends for how many years now. I’d hate for them to feel alone if they’re suffering.” Steven put a hand on her shoulder. “Look, I’m sure if they wanted to tell us something was wrong, they would have. Right now, let’s focus on enjoying our vacation with our friends. It’s not like these happen every weekend.” Carol smiled. “Okay, if only to see you make a fool out of yourself trying to surf again!” Steven tickled her. “Oh, come here you!”

The next day was sunny and hot weather so the group decided to call off their plan to do a hike up the nearby mountain and spend the time at the beach instead. The waves were refreshing in the gruelling heat. Dennis even was able to join them for a while but he chose not to surf this time around.  Lucy got out of the water to dry off when Carol took her aside. “Look, I don’t want to worry you, but I think there’s something wrong with Dennis.” Lucy nodded. “Yes, he doesn’t seem like his usual self. Maybe he’s just tired.” Carol perplexed, “Maybe. But I want to find out so Steven and I need to get them alone…” She continued, “So, would you and Jamie be able to entertain yourselves? I just don’t want Tanya and Dennis to feel intimidated in having to share with everyone.” Lucy explained that she understood.  “Besides, it will be nice to catch up with him, we haven’t been able to do that for a while.” The plan was set in motion.

In the evening, Lucy asked Jamie if he wanted to have a quiet drink. “Let’s let the grown ups talk.” She joked, it was an irony as Lucy and Jamie weren’t too much younger than Carol, Steven, Tanya and Dennis as they were only in their mid 30’s. They got into the hot tub opened a bottle of expensive wine. “Cheers.” Their glasses clinked. “So, Jamie, what’s been going on with you?” Jamie stared into the abyss. “To be honest, I haven’t been doing well. Melissa hasn’t let me see the kids much at all this week and to top it all off, she claims she’s going to go for full custody.” He put his head in his hands. “I may never see my kids again Lucy. I didn’t even do anything wrong. I treated Melissa like a queen till the day she threw me out.” The tears started. Lucy gave him a hug. “I’m so sorry Jamie. Just between you and I, it wasn’t that Cain couldn’t come due to work. He’s been having an affair for months.” Jamie held her tighter. “But I can’t leave him. He’s a lawyer, he knows every trick in the book to be able to keep me from getting custody of Chelsea. He’ll take my baby away from me!” Jamie tucked Lucy’s blond hair back from her face. “It should’ve been us together Lucy.” She wiped a tear from her eye. “I know. But it’s too late.” Jamie kissed her. “Maybe it’s not.”

“So, what’s wrong Dennis? You’ve been acting strangely this entire time. Please tell us, we’re your friends and want to help.” Carol stated. “Look, it’s really none of your business…” Dennis scoffed. Tanya put a hand on his shoulder. “Maybe we should just tell them Dennis. They’re going to find out sooner or later.” Tanya explained. Dennis sighed. The only other time the pale look on Carol and Steven’s face when he explained it was seen, was when they found out their twins had been killed. “This might be our last vacation together.” Dennis murmured. Carol expression lightened. “So, I guess we should make the most of it.”

The following morning, the friends knew things would never be the same between them again. Lucy and Jamie smiled at each other as they walked towards the car. Sharing a secret that only they knew about. Maybe one day they could be together, but it would be some time. Tanya and Dennis gave a knowing nod to Carol and Steven. “Thank you for everything.” They embraced in a hug. “We’ll be there for you, no matter what.” Carol whispered. They left the embrace and Tanya and Dennis linked arms. “Thank you for a great weekend.” Jamie shook Steven’s hand and patted his shoulder. “No problem. We shouldn’t leave it so long next time.” Steven turned to Lucy. “Say hi to Cain from us.” Lucy nodded coyly. “I will.” Steven then drove them back to the reality of their fragmented lives. After a certain song came onto the radio, the group with words unspoken mused, “wake me up when December ends…”                         

August 06, 2020 06:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Taylor Arbuckle
19:38 Aug 10, 2020

From an editor's standpoint, there's a lot of potential for growth in this story. The dialogue could benefit from being spread out, a new paragraph started for a new perspective/person speaking. This would make the story seem less clumped together and more cohesive, and it would make it easier to follow for readers. From a reader's standpoint, there's a lot to enjoy here. Dennis's diagnosis was a wrench in the gut, and Lucy and Jamie's connection was nice to read. I appreciated that each character was their own and no two people were the ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.