3 comments

Drama Fiction Inspirational

I have been stuck in this endless cycle for as long as I can remember. Every day feels the same, every action is predictable and monotonous. I wake up at 6:00 am, eat the same breakfast, take the same route to work, and come back home by 7:00 pm. I don't have any friends, don't go out much, and my social life seems non-existent. It's like I'm living in a loop, where time is just a meaningless concept.

At first, it didn't bother me much. I had convinced myself that routine was necessary for success and that following a set pattern would lead me to prosperity. But as years went by, I started to feel more and more stifled. Like something was missing, something significant that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

And then she came along.

It was a chance encounter. I was sitting in my regular coffee shop when I saw her across the street. She had short bobbed hair, wore a bright yellow coat, and carried herself with an air of confidence that made heads turn. For some reason, I felt drawn to her immediately.

I mustered the courage to approach her, and we started talking. Her name was Rachel, and she was everything I was not. Spontaneous, fun-loving, and adventurous. We hit it off instantly, and soon we were spending all our free time together. She introduced me to new places, people, and experiences I never thought possible.

It was like a breath of fresh air in my otherwise stale existence. Being with her made me realize how unhappy I truly was. How much I craved adventure and discovery. And yet, even though I knew this, breaking out of my old habits was easier said than done.

Rachel tried her best to push me out of my comfort zone, but I always found excuses to stay where I was. Work, bills, responsibilities - they all weighed me down like a burden too heavy to bear. I started avoiding her calls and making excuses not to meet her.

And then one day, something changed.

I had a particularly rough day at work, and for the first time in years, I decided to take a different route home. It was a small thing, but it felt liberating somehow. As if I was breaking free from my monotonous routine, even if just for a moment.

On my way, I noticed a shop that I had never seen before. It was an antique store with a signboard that read 'Endless Cycles.' Curiosity got the better of me, and I walked in out of sheer impulse.

The interior of the store was nothing like what I expected. There were rows upon rows of clocks, each ticking away at its own pace. Some were old-fashioned, others looked futuristic, but all conveyed a sense of mystery and intrigue.

As I moved through the aisles, I saw a peculiar clock hanging on the wall. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. The hands didn't move in circles or tick-tock like regular clocks. Instead, there were two dials- one with the numbers 1 to 12 and another with symbols representing various facets of life- career, family, travel, love, passion, etc. The symbols moved counterclockwise, continuously rotating around the dial. Every few seconds, a bell would ring, and the symbol lined up with the current hour highlighted itself.

It was hypnotic, and I couldn't look away. Before I knew it, the owner of the shop approached me. He was an old man, bent over with age, but his eyes shone bright with wisdom.

"Ah, you've found our special clock," he said. "One that shows the infinite possibilities of life."

Intrigued, I asked him more about it.

"You see, my dear boy, this clock represents the different paths you can take in life. Every time a symbol lines up with an hour, it indicates that there is a possibility for you to choose that particular path."

"How do I know which one to choose?" I asked.

"That's for you to decide," he replied cryptically. "You must trust your instincts and let them guide you."

I stood there staring at the clock for what felt like hours, lost in thought. Could it be that simple? Trusting my instincts and choosing a new path?

And then it hit me - I had been so afraid of stepping out of my rut because I didn't know where it would lead me. But if I had endless options available to me, why not try something completely different? Something exciting, exhilarating, even terrifying? Without really thinking, I turned to the old man and said,

"I want it. How much does it cost?"

"Cost? It doesn't have a price tag, my boy. You cannot buy what I sell here; you must earn it."

"What do you mean?"

"In order to unlock the infinite possibilities of this clock, you must first break free from the pattern of your current cycle. You must take a leap of faith and trust that the universe will guide you towards your true purpose."

I nodded slowly, understanding what he meant. It wasn't about having a magical clock that would give me all the answers; it was about taking control of my own life and being brave enough to pursue my dreams.

As I stepped out of the shop, the crisp winter air hit my face, and for the first time in years, I felt alive. The world seemed full of potential, and I knew that no matter what path I chose, I would be okay.

Rachel called me later that night, and this time I didn't hesitate to pick up. We chatted away, and our enthusiasm for life was contagious. We were like two kids in a candy store, excitedly pointing out all the different flavors and colors of the sweets. Our conversation flowed effortlessly, fueled by the shared passion for adventure and the desire to make the most of every moment.

We talked about everything and anything under the sun, from the latest indie movies to the best hiking spots in the area. We brainstormed new business ideas, daring travel plans, and even some crazy DIY projects we could tackle together. As the night went on, our dreams got bigger and bolder, and I could feel my heart pumping with excitement. It was like we had unlocked a whole new world of possibilities, and nothing could stop us from exploring it.

And as I hung up the phone and looked at the endless cycle clock hanging on my wall, I smiled, knowing that my life was starting anew.

April 01, 2023 21:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Helen A Smith
13:25 Apr 10, 2023

The clock poses intriguing possibilities for exploring life more fully. Interesting response to the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Galen Gower
15:55 Apr 09, 2023

Here's a critique you didn't ask for, so feel free to disregard. "For some reason, I felt drawn to her immediately." Tell us what the reason is. I want to know and 'some' doesn't cut it. Does she look everyone in the eye? Does she have a tattoo on the inside of her wrist? Is she wearing a shirt with a cussword on it? There are dozens of little things that draw people together and this is a chance to round out both characters without straining. "Curiosity got the better of me, and I walked in out of sheer impulse." This feels like a short...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jody S
02:18 Apr 09, 2023

Love the clock theme! You did very well with the theme.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.