LIKE GRANDMOTHER LIKE GRANDDAUGHTER

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

10 comments

General

       LIKE GRANDMOTHER LIKE GRANDDAUGHTER

       "Look Sobo!!The star is falling.’’ Aiko told her grandmother who was sitting on her rocky chair sipping her herbal tea. "Say your wish" Her grandmother said “I wish that Aiya stops hating me." The words were spoken very fast but her grandmother picked the last three. "Who is Aiya?" She asked "She lives across the street. We are in the same class "Aiko said. Is she from the Suzuki or Yamamoto family? Asked her grandmother. "Suzuki”

         "Okay, let's go inside I will tell you a story." She helped her grandmother to pick her walking stick. Her grandmother held her hand. They got into the house..Aiko lied on the bed. “I had someone I really hated. We were in the same class but he was taller than myself “Grandmother began. “Why did you hate him? Did you hate him because he was a boy?"

"Hey Magomusume I won't finish if you keep interrupting remember be all ears, question later okay?" Aiko nodded. "He was very smart, He was good at almost all subjects. His shoes sparkled ”  "Were you jealous of him?" Aiko interrupted again. “No!" Her grandmother continued “He laughed at at everything I had from my hair to my shoes. He would lead other children in mocking me" 

     Aiko fell asleep. Her grandmother kissed her "Goodnight"

"Your hair looks like wild plants! Your sharp pointed shoes like a pirate's ship!" Each time Lee made his remarks, all the other children roared in laughter .Aiko could not take it anymore, and she kicked him. He landed in the water splashing it all over. Aiko noticed him drowning, he wasn’t a good at swimming “You have killed him !” The children accused her She immediately realised the Consequence of her action. She let out a horrifying scream and dived t o save him. She opened her eyes to find her grandmother shaking her. “What a dream “She thought.                                                                "Sobo, I was you in my dream. I kicked a boy who was mocking me, unfortunately, he fell into water .I had to dive to save him."   Laughter filled the room “No wonder you were kicking on the floor" her grandmother said

       "Magomusume, get prepared, you may be late for school" Her grandmother reminded her. She took bath, put on her school uniform and left her bedroom. The table was set. She took her breakfast. She looked at her reflection from the shiny door to see if her hair resembled wild plants. She looked at her black shoes. “Thank goodness they are neither sharp nor pointed." she ’whispered. She picked her packed food and left . 

"Bye Sobo!" She waved at her grandmother. “Bye Aiko, Be a good girl.

      She walked hurriedly. At the gate she met with Lee, Aiya's brother among other pupils. Lee was older than Aiya and was in the senior class. She stopped abruptly and shut her eyes. She waited. Her abrupt stop made several others to stop, knocking each other, worst of it, others loosing balance. "Is everything alright?" Lee asked. Aiko was dumbfounded. Her dream wasn't real. Lee held her gently and led her to her classmates who were standing in two rows, preparing to lead in flag raising.

      "Move to the back row!" Aiya shouted at Aiko. “Don’t come near me. If you think you'll join my group or play with us, forget it. You aren't welcome. Aiko's eyes were filled with tears. She sat on the raised veranda and cried. Some children felt sorry and tried to comfort her but her day was already ruined. Aiya was one of the most popular pupil in their class. She was also an outgoing child. Being snubbed by her, meant that Aika would be lonely, without friends. Aika classwork was also affected. She became dull. She started hating school. When the teachers questioned her, she couldn't explain. The school counsellor decided to pair her up with pupils from other classes. This worked .She was always looking forward to reporting to her friends and receiving new ideas.

           "How was school my Magomusume?" Her grandmother asked her. “Aiya snubbed me. She still hates me. My wish was not fulfilled. “Aiko replied “Did you fight her Magomusume?" Her grandmother inquired." No, but I have new friends." Aika said. "If the dream star comes again, will you help me say the wish? “Well my magomusume, what would you wish for? Asked her grandmother. "There is a music competition, the group or singer which emerges the winners will represent the school in national competition, Do you think the wish star will honour my wish?" Aika answered

        "My dear, for your wish to be fulfilled, you must always work hard. You have a good voice, just like me. The wish star will not sing, you will. If you are ready, instead of telling you a bedtime story I will help you train your voice, play the piano will show you how to hold the flute and any necessary skill you may need. “Her grandmother said. "Sobo please will you complete the story you started yesterday, then from tomorrow, you’ll help me practise. The wish star isn't here yet" She looked at the glittering sky and said” Hey stars tell your sister Wish to come later, l will be expecting her." Her grandmother laughed. They got inside. She sat on her bed waiting for her grandmother to complete her story.

"One day there was a concert in school. My mother had taught me how to sing, I wrote my song, l sang on how l felt when he mocked me, the chorus involved advising children like him to stop being insensitive to other people’s feelings. The whole school sang along. The diction of the song must have hit him hard. The following day he came to me and promised never to hurt me again" Her grandmother said. Aika smiled and asked "What was his name?

"I met him after college some years later. He had become a research scientist and l a musician."

“Now l know where you met grandfather “Aiko said “Yes , You also can sing and win over Aiya.   The music training was thorough .With her grandmother's help Aiko wrote a song to Aiya. Aiko emerged the winner and was to represent the country after winning the national competition. Her grandfather was back from the Scientists' workshop in Germany. They were relaxing in the evening when the Suzuki’s came to congratulate her. Aiya hugged Aiko and said “I am very proud of you"    

  "What do you want to do after school, Aiko's grandfather asked Lee” Aiko's grandfather asked. "A research Scientist” Lee replied .Aiko blushed. "Start by studying those stars" The elderly man continued. All the eyes looked up. Something shiny was about to fall. "A wish" Aiya’s mother called. "I wish that Aiko wins in the international concert” They said in unison. Aiko wished differently. " I wish that Lee becomes a research scientist " They held hands and laughed. All eyes glued to the sky.


July 20, 2020 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

01:47 Aug 02, 2020

Hello from the Critique Circle! The relationship between grandmother and granddaughter was really sweet! And the end made me smile. On a technical note, be sure to proofread for correct punctuation--this will make your next story a bit easier to read

Reply

PAMELA ABWAO
04:16 Aug 02, 2020

Thanks alot .Point taken

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deleted Account
15:13 Jul 30, 2020

Great story but the only problem I could find besides punctuation was the similarities with the names Aiko and Aiya. Overall, good read

Reply

PAMELA ABWAO
18:45 Jul 31, 2020

Japanese names@Aiko Aiya Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
ADHI DAS
09:17 Jul 30, 2020

penned well:)

Reply

PAMELA ABWAO
14:41 Jul 30, 2020

Thanks ADHI

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
12:01 Jul 29, 2020

Lovely story Pamela. I love what you did with Aiko and Lee. A fee problems here and there with your punctuation but it's nothing a little practise and proofreading can't fix. This was nice and entertaining. I would be delighted if you took a look at just one of my stories. Nice work Pamela.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Batool Hussain
05:08 Jul 21, 2020

This is so sweet! I love the fact how both of our stories are based off the same prompt.. Mind checking out my new story and sharing your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

PAMELA ABWAO
18:28 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you for taking your time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This title reminded me of my story, "Like Brother, Like Sister." I just had to read it! Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.