1 comment

Science Fiction Fiction Coming of Age

The fundamental human talent is destruction. Not creation, but destruction, you have not misheard. We arrogantly, purposefully, and, it must be admitted, effectively destroy the nature, the basis, the basis of our existence, given to us from above. Every creature for every creature, remember? Did you hear that the last white rhinoceros died in Sudan? What do we care about? - I see... That the number of lions on the African continent and tigers in South Asia has dwindled so much that there is nothing to talk about. A polar bear in the Arctic? - Very rare. You'll be lucky if you see one. Man has managed to exterminate half of the wildlife inhabiting the planet for a couple of decades. For the sake of justice, we shall note that he does not spare similar, upright bipeds and sends them by echelons into the afterlife at the first opportunity. Are dolphins thrown ashore out of nowhere? - Clearly not from a good life, but it is their problem. The oceans (oceans!) are not beaches - they are littered beyond belief. Whose fault is that? - Apparently, aliens. Not those from distant stars, but for us. We are aliens on Earth. They came and went, leaving behind mountains of garbage. Destroyed cities, deserted villages and hamlets. Scorched and cut down forests. The shallowed rivers and lakes. The stinking, suffocating atmosphere - once the air shell of the Earth. Millions killed, maimed. Billions uneducated, poor, hungry.

           The Zoological Society of London and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) are sounding the alarm: from 1970 to 2014, 60 percent of wild animals on the planet were killed, and even more in America - 89 percent. Isn't this a crime against life on Earth, against the Almighty, because not only man is his creation, but also animal and plant life? And this is human civilization? But then what is the Stone Age, the primitive system? Where are you going, civilization? What's coming?

           The role of the Creator has been taken over by genetic engineering. It transforms the world left and right. In the past, carnations were exclusively white and red. Today there are carnations for every taste: blue, yellow, purple, speckled, grayish-brown and crimson. Whatever you want, whatever you want. Sausage is genetically engineered, the domestic pike is genetically engineered. Bread, milk, meat. What do we even eat?

Have you ever heard of São Paulo having million-dollar pride parades? No? Nowadays, every year, and several times. What are we proud of? That we're genetically engineered. Like sausage. Like sausage!

           The Almighty gave up on us long ago. He knew the game wasn't worth playing. But how do we end it without losing face? That's the problem. Having once given manpower over nature, he is no longer happy about it.

           Today, thousands of species of living nature are on the verge of extinction because of our hyperactivity. Hurricanes, earthquakes, droughts and floods, melting glaciers in Antarctica, tsunamis, and God knows what else. We are destroying animal habitats, we have changed the climate to such an extent that there is no way back (some people have already understood that we are doomed and are building dugouts with a three-year supply of food and water as if this will save them!), but we continue to pollute the air with industrial wastes and to turn fossil reserves of hydrocarbons into smoke with the tenacity of a serial killer.

Haven't you realized yet that humanity had entered the last stage of extinction? No? Too bad. Because new cataclysms are ahead of us, compared to which a collision with a giant meteorite, which will pierce through our planet with its mass, like a knife through butter, is nothing but a trifle. And what will happen when drugs and gambling completely displace the virtual reality, which amuses everyone today, from small to large? Is this our future?

           Let us finally be honest with ourselves: we are wild, we are crazy, we are disgusting. The other day a leader of a developing country told the world that if there was a nuclear war, his people would go to paradise, and all others would be cooked in a frying pan. He said so without blinking an eye. Or does he already anticipate meeting in paradise with 72 virgins? By the way, his subjects applauded him cheerfully. They long for the same, and to go as soon as possible to our home columbarium.

           - Almighty God! I pray Thee. I do not know how You imagined the human civilization of the future, whether You wanted to make all people free and happy, living in peace and contentment, having shelter and daily bread.

- Why these empty words? What you are asking for are a mirage and a fantasy. If I do so, give it all, the day will come, the hour will come, and cruel rulers will take away from the weak what I gave you, and from the poor the last, and everything will return to its normal course. Life on Earth could have been free and happy for you, but you were not worthy of it. You do not notice the evil irony in the fact that, created by God's will as His image and likeness, you remained in captivity of animal passions, and all your aspirations can be described in a few words: money, gluttony, sex, greed, envy, pride. But I don't blame myself: I am not a world chess champion, that I could foresee all variants. And it is not for you to hold Me accountable for My actions.

           - But don't you see how we suffer, how we pray daily for the forgiveness of our sins and fall at your feet? Give us a chance.

           - I know everything. You, however, are scrap to me. I will consider what to do with you, but I'm afraid you won't like it.

           - But what will you do to us? Do you find pestilence, pestilence, locusts with thousands of wings, or ugly toads? Haven't you allowed us to transgress your laws before?

- There are rules, and there are exceptions to rules. I allow you what is profitable and convenient to Me, in accordance with My design. Besides, I see no reason and no need to go back to the ten plagues of Egypt all over again. You have already been through this. Judge for yourself: year after year, there are more and more madmen on the planet. That's what your statistics say. All that's left to do is to wait for this critical mass to be assembled to start the reaction of the human race's disintegration. You will do everything with your own hands. It's proven—the domino principle.

           - Have mercy. We beseech Thee.

            - I guess it's too late now. Was it so hard to keep My Ten Commandments that you received on Mount Sinai? The simple RULES of CONDUCT in the WAY. Was it difficult to behave humanly in your Home, floating peacefully in interstellar Cosmic Space? Not at all. I don't find a single argument against it. And what have you come to, what have you returned to? Slavery, violence, murder. The world is overflowing with hatred. Your idol is money, greed. You are fixated on your career, finances, pleasures, success, whereas you can live here and now in harmony with nature. You consciously took the side of evil. You lack kindness, humanity. You don't cry by the hair when you take off your head. Is that what they say? I am a merciful and forgiving God, but I am also a punishing God, who rewards according to merit.

           Хорошо сказано, красиво: «Я карающий меч» ... Должен произвести впечатление. Кем бы я был? Было бы хорошо, если бы я только простил? - подумал он и сразу усомнился в собственной правоте, которая на Него была совсем не похожа. - Я ошибаюсь? Со стариками тоже все может случиться. Наверное, люди перестали быть похожими на людей от отчаяния: с планеты не сбежать. Жизнь коротка, а? Никакого стимула, поэтому они понемногу сходят с ума. Они мирились с безжалостной жестокостью одиночества во Вселенной сегодня, чтобы получить надежду на лучшую жизнь в загробной жизни завтра. Что, если бы они подписались на страхование жизни с бессмертием? Любопытно посмотреть. Новый проект? Придется на досуге обдумать, посоветоваться с Ангелами, Дьяволом. Вы не можете решить это в спешке, на ровном месте. Люди уже шепчутся за его спиной, что он стареет. Они даже попытаются организовать государственный переворот, цветную революцию. Они хуже маленьких иррациональных детей.

На этот раз Творец пришлет нам Ноев ковчег? Сложно сказать. Возможно нет. Он поставит генетически модифицированные черные розы на могилу человечества и скажет что-то вроде эпитафии: «За прах ты и в прах вернешься ...». Adios, amigos! Шалом, хаверим! А если он бросит спасательный круг? В конце концов, за Ним последнее слово о том, проснемся мы завтра утром или нет. Кто мы такие, чтобы знать Его волю? Иногда пользователи признавались в вечном ограниченном по времени подключении к всемирной паутине, не более того.

           Quo Vadis, Domine? Что скажешь, Отец Небесный?

April 17, 2021 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

04:54 Apr 25, 2021

Cool concept! The scriptural references and the Latin line added a lot of power to the story. I will suggest trying to keep the formatting to something a bit more simple for the sake of the reader.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.