0 comments

Fantasy Suspense

Adrenaline coursed through her veins as each thigh thrust forward through the smoldered grass, that had become grey through the merciless darkness of Ferlik's flames.

she quickened her pace as the sweltering bullets from her forehead rushed onto her face. she took a quick, desperate look over her shoulder as she rushed to the edge of the forest. her eyes shimmered in fear.

the flickers were coming closer. they stalked behind her; their voices hammering in her ears.

she tripped over the knots of twisted skirts. the ground echoed through her frail body as she, desperately, tried to pick herself up.

the high screeching came closer.

she scrambled to her feet and started to run again. her heart thudding inside of her.

her eyes skimmed through the dark countryside. it soon stopped at the lone cottage, filled with utter darkness.

she ran, hurriedly, towards it; she pummeled at the door with her weak fists.

she didn't dare look behind as the high shrieking noise came panting towards her.

she banged, furiously, at the door.

the door swung open, letting off a shaky, creaky noise. a dark hand yanked her in as she plummeted on the floorboards.

she removed her blonde curls from her face as her head lay soundly on the door.

her eyes met two wide eyes. they were like an apple, their pupils were a mixture of dark, purple liquid, yet their eyes were as thin as a serpent, dark and withdrawn.

the girl got up in alarm as a dark hand stroked her cheek. the eyes squinted at her before touching her cheek again.

each stroke stole a breath from her lungs, it was like suffocating.

"w-who are you?" she wheezed.

the hand disappeared in the emptiness.

the voice that rang through the cottage was like multiple voices at once. like a speaking choir.

shadow, shadow, we are shadows

the girl looked around her. eyes popped from the emptiness.

who are, who are, who are you?

"a girl, I am a girl" she replied, her heart still thudding.

they all looked similar to Ferlik's fierce flickers but they were gentle and they possessed a calm cooling voice, that of the humming sea.

the voices seemed to squeal with joy; it was a pleasing sound that of laughing children. the eyes glanced at each other with happiness except for the two glaring eyes in the middle of the room. its eyes held authority and power. a single dark hand was raised in the emptiness.

a small book was hidden in its palm.

the book was pointed at her.

if you are a girl, you can read this

the voice was stern and sharp; the wave of its echoes collapsed over her, harsh and cold.

"Why should I read it?"

there was a gasp, reverberating like an instant shock wave.

the shadow leaned towards her. hopelessness hit the girl's nose. it smelt painful, it made you want to cry. it also stung like the many skins of an onion.

the Shadow didn't have to say anything. Tears flowed down the girl's cheeks; it dampened her darkened blonde curls.

the book was shoved onto her chest. the shadow leaned back, still squinting at her.

the girl fingered the cover of the book. it was felt like broken leather and it smelt like yellowed books on a shelf. it reminded her of her parents before they were used as silent captives in the depths of Ferlik's cave.

she opened the book, narrowing her eyes.

She couldn’t see a word. It was too dingy and dim to see anything. She blinked, desperate not to disappoint the shadows.

But she just couldn’t help asking:

“do you have a light?”

The shadows glared at her in confusion.

The head shadow eyes widened.

Ferlik has the light, only Ferlik

The shadows moaned, dismayed.

“Maybe if we went to his castle…”

The head shadow glanced at the window.

Flickers have surrounded the house; the house is surrounded by the Flickers. You won’t be able to get out, you can’t go out.

the book became cold in her hands as she touched the door.

She could hear the flickers howling their high-pitched scream. The shadows’ eyes watched her in a low humming silence.

They want, they want, they want you

The girl gaped at the book.

“But I need the light, I need to read it….” She croaked, hugging the book.

The flickers were pounding at the door, their sharp scathing fingers scratching on it, making a high screeching noise like their throbbing screams.

The eyes glanced at one another in dread. The girl knew what they were feeling: Fear. And Ferlik knew how to make everyone terrified of him.

The head of the shadows peered at her.

You don’t have to read the book, we don’t mind

The other shadows glared at its leader with shock; a deep moaning noise was made.

The leader of the shadows tried ignoring them but their moan was the only persuasion to set them free.

The leader of the shadows gave a raspy sigh.

It hovered its way to the entrance of the cottage; the door was shattered into pieces. the whistling cold nipped the little girl's ears and lips, it bled with the blush of red. the shadows surrounded her, smothering her in the midst of them. her breath was stolen away making her as white as snow.

A shadow stroked her cheek; it drew a breath from her. it peered into her eyes.

you have to go

"but I don't want to leave you-" she protested,

it placed a dark finger on her lips, causing her to hush in breathless silence.

Go, go, we will distract them, now go

the girl stepped away from the shadow as it released her lips.

The breath of life came back to her as she sauntered away from the shadow, tears spilling from her eyes. The shadows were disappearing into the belly of the flickers: they evaporated like powdered fog in the air.

she peeled her eyes off them, stopping at the tip of the hill, examining the horizon.

the flickers were still screaming as they engulfed each shadow. the girl took a breath and started to run. she ran over the brow of the hill, slipping in the process, she slid down it.

"ach!"

She began to roll in the mud, landing into the arms of the river. a sonorous swashing sound was heard.

The flickers all turned their attention from the shadows, their hollow eyes pointing in her direction.

A high pitch shriek was heard. the head of the shadows was the last to go, it and the girl locked eyes:

go

the whisper was small but the girl could hear it from afar as it bounced from the trees into her ear. the flickers maundered over the fields, shrilling as they did in delight.

a jolting stump of wood jerked towards the flustered girl as she tried swimming, aimlessly, in the strong current of the water.

The girl grabbed the floating log that crossed her path and bobbed to the other side of the forest, taking a fleeting glance behind her.

The flickers gave off another devastating shriek as she climbed out of the water.

The girl glimpsed behind her as the flickers advanced, giving off a deafening screech.

Pulling up her skirts, she started to run, her calves burning as the cold air took a big bite of her lungs. She laughed as she ran. Plan A was working.

something caught her eye. ahead, a flicker sauntered towards her, grinning spectacularly. the girl drew to a hasty stop and turned to the left. another flicker came, the grin much wider. she turned to the right. another one, ambling towards her. Now the flickers were coming from all sides, their screams as loud as ever.

Her heart started to thud, it sailed through her ears and her mind as a thin layer of clammy sweat clung onto her forehead. her eyes skimmed around the ghastly fingers of the forest; they were everywhere.

The girl gazed upwards, the sky gawped at her in shock.

She folded up her skirts, hurriedly, as the wails drew, uncomfortably, closer.

With one foot on the trunk, she started to climb. 

it was time for plan B.

May 03, 2021 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.