2 comments

Fantasy

Authors Note: This is about the Greek Goddess Aphrodite, so I'm sorry if it's like bad or anything.




It felt like I was drowning, but still breathing. I could still breathe. I could feel the air circulation through my lungs, but as I breathed out, no air bubbles emerged. 




As I crashed through the surface of the water, a gust of cool air brushed against my bare skin. I could see the breath leaving my mouth, as the crest of the waves carried me towards the shore. I looked towards where I was headed, and I saw three figures. 




One was a plump woman with golden brown hair and yellow-tinted skin. Such an odd color for a skin color. She was holding what looked like an orange cloth, which was swirling around in the wind. The other two were a guy who's brown wings flapped in the wind, who also had golden brown hair. He was carrying another lady that shared the similar color. It seemed as if all of these people were related. 




As I reached the shore, a giant pink and white shelled appearing under my feet, so that my soft feet wouldn't hit the coarse sand. My long golden blonde hair gracefully fell to the areas I wish were not to be seen, as the three people danced around me twirling me with orange and pink cloth. I twirled around as the cloth settled onto my skin, shimmering in the sunlight.




"So beautiful," the plump woman purred.


"Yes indeed," whispered the winged boy.


"We shall tell Zeus of this wonderful goddess," The third one said.




I shook my head. "Zeus.." I murmured. "That... That sounds... familiar..." The plump woman nodded her head, "Yes, yes. Lord Zeus is the king of the gods. He will tell you everything you need to know." I just nodded. I studied the plump woman, the dark circles under her amber-yellow eyes. The lines in her face from her smile, and the scars from the common thing known as acne.  




"Miss, what do you think your name is?" The brown-winged boy asked. I thought for a moment, "A-Aphrodite." The three of them gasped. "Even the name sounds beautiful!" The plump woman said.




"Shall I meet the Lord Zeus?" I requested. The girl that the brown-winged boy was carrying finally spoke, "I just hope that Zeus doesn't cheat with Hera with you." I took a step back, "I have no intention to fall in love with a beast like him." The sky rumbled. "I might be the 'most beautiful goddess' but I will not be a... An object for the other gods to see." The three of them nodded, "Why of course! We most certainly need you! Now, let's go," The plump woman said, holding out her crusted hand. "I think I can walk by myself," I reassured, stepping off the shell. A trail of white sea foam was left behind me.




***




As we reached the tall gray mountain, my stomach began to churn. "Do I have to climb that thing?" I whined. The brown-winged boy shook his head, "Your feet shouldn't be ruined by this mountain." I sighed, "Well can you carry me?" I pleaded. The plump woman sighed, "If it's true, you should be as light as sea foam." I nodded, "Why of course!" I decided to jump into the arms of the brown-winged boy. 




He flew up high above the white clouds near the tip of the mountain. I looked down and saw the towns of the mortals worshiping the gods. As my feet touched the soft ground I gasped. "Wow, it's so... beautiful!" I walked gracefully into the throne room. The tall columns of the wall held a roof painted with pictures of the constellations and heroes. 12 thrones stood there, some holding the other Gods and Goddesses, others empty. The ones that were taken were decorated with what I thought the gods were.


 "Hello Lady Aphrodite!" A voice boomed around the room. "Hi," I answered, touching the small fire in the middle. Well, actually it was huge, but when I stepped into the room, it seemed as if I grew an extra ten feet. "Welcome to Olympus! We Gods... And Goddeses," He added, "Sit here to watch over the mortals and demigods in the world below." I nodded. "You can choose any of the empty seats and go into our changing room to change into some more fashionable clothing," he continued. "Then you should be all set." This seemed like it has happened before. 


As soon as I sat down on my throne, a huge banging sound appeared. A tall ugly man was limping to the seat next to me. "Oh..." Zeus said with a smile, "I think I have found a husband for you..." I gasped, "This ugly beast!?" I screeched. "Woah calm down there, princess.." Another man said, holding her hand softly, "You don't want to get in any fights, trust me, I've been there." I looked at the man behind me. He was tall and buff, with soft brown hair and red glowing eyes. I immediately fell in love, "Lord Zeus..." I asked, batting my eyelashes, "May I marry this handsome man instead?" I added a little charm to it. "I- No," he demanded, hesitating, "You shall not marry Ares... Instead, go for Hephaestus. He's gotten many women." 


I growled, "If I have to marry a beast like him, then I shall not marry anyone!" I stomped over to the spa door and slammed it shut.


That's when I woke up.


"Ugh..." I grumbled. "Mother?'' A voice said, from the corner of the room. I sat up, "Yes, Eros?" He walked forward, his complexion changing to match what the mortal woman thought was handsome. "You were screaming in your sleep again," He said worriedly. "Yes, I had another dream about me being born," I answered. "I need to step outside."


I wrapped a pink robe around myself and snuck through the throne room and out into the garden. I sat down and stared at the stars. "Having trouble sleeping?" Ares voice asked. "Yea... Another nightmare." "Here let me comfort you.."


He held me close to him, his breathing calming me down. We watched the constellations shimmer.

March 04, 2021 17:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Holly Fister
00:43 Mar 11, 2021

So I had to look up Aphrodite to familiarize myself with her story and family. So Kudos to you for teaching me something new! I love it when stories help me learn. My critique for the day: don’t discredit your story at the beginning with that author’s note. Do your best and be proud of it!! ❤️

Reply

Milo W
15:51 Mar 11, 2021

Ah thank you! I was just wondering how I could help readers understand. This is only my second story on here so I'm glad I have some critique.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.