0 comments

General

Mom said to do the honorable thing to give back because I had so much. I’ve always have had plenty of hand me downs from my brothers, family and friends, so I decided after many years to clean out my closets and other storage areas of the house. 

With the idea of giving unwanted items to the Goodwill store and SPCA because I love helping the animals as well. 

It took most of the morning going through everything and determining the emotional value of my stuff. There were so many memories of course good and bad which did t make the decisions any easier. 

Once decided and placed in a box, out of sight out of mind comes to mind. My motto if I haven’t used it or needed it in a year then I don’t need it, so I went with that and the decisions became easier. 

Once I got everything in the truck I decided due to the holidays the dogs and cats needed more money so I took all my treasures to SPCA store. 

While I was there unloading these items I really didn’t need to add anything to my possessions, but on this clothes rack there was a trench coat, like I’ve always wanted. It was a little tattered. I asked the clerk how much it was she took a look at the coat and said “Eight dollars”. 

I gave her the eight dollars and left the store. I threw the coat in my truck and drove home thinking of the afternoon I planned going fishing at the pier, nothing elaborate, or real exciting. It was a foggy misty afternoon, not the best fishing weather, but I decided to try it anyways. It's not always about catching fish, but enjoying the casting and rock and roll of the water. Just relaxing and taking time for ones self. I decided to wear the newly acquired trench coat, which fit just perfectly by the way. It was comfortable, soft and warm it was almost like I've owned it all my life. It embraced me like a hug and I was glad I found it and bought it. 

The afternoon was wonderful in spite of the weather I caught several different types of fish nothing worth keeping but I had fun landing each one. I caught a couple of pompano that unfortunately not big enough to keep, they would have been a good dinner. I landed a baby black tip shark with his spooky cat eyes. Absolutely gorgeous I gave him back to the ocean and felt blessed to be in his presence. I was so engrossed in my fishing I almost didn't hear The car alarm going off in the parking lot a short distance away and it sounded like my trucks alarm. 

I thrust my hand in my trench coat pocket searching for my truck keys when my fingers landed on an odd object.  I pulled my hand out I had an odd looking shell not my keys. 

I suddenly felt dizzy and I felt like I was blacking out and things suddenly became clear and I was 21 years old again. I looked around me and I was back were I was when I was 21. 

It was like some kind of reset button had been flipped I was stunned I didn’t know if it was real, a dream or if it would last. All thought of at that moment was “roll with it”. 

I was not in the same place I was a minute ago. I was where I was when I was 21 in a different state, different frame of mind and different attitude.  I was a bit shocked to say the least, I realized that this may be a special gift or a complete farce, but I wanted to see it through. My life didn't turn out what I thought it would. I've always felt like there was something more out there for me. maybe this was my chance to change that. I dropped everything and went to find the girl of my dreams, and I knew just where to find her. I quickly went to my wooden box in my room, were I had been stashing cash for a while with all the odd jobs I did. I grabbed my cash changed my clothes threw a bunch of clothes and stuff in a duffle bag. Taking a last look around my boyhood room  everything became extremely clear and I knew exactly what to do. There was a total disregard for what was normal in my life at that time. I immediately took a cab to the airport and got a flight to Cocoa Beach Florida.  Once I got there

I immediately preceded to 3rd street on the beach. The boardwalk to the beach covered by the sea grapes and Palm fronds was breathtaking in the moonlight. It was a tunnel to paradise. As I walked through I stepped onto the moonlit sand she was sitting there at the waters edge the waves just caressing her feet. She was crying uncontrollably I said to her I’m here and I’m not going anywhere. 

I startled her, she looked up saying “Who the hell are you?”

I answered “I’m your soulmate”.

She replied “Not funny please leave”.

As instructed I started to walk away, but I turned back towards her and said “Stick your hand in your left pocket”. I continued to walk away. 

She pulled out the shell, and she immediately had a vision of her life with me, her soulmate. She gasped then quickly got up and ran after me. 

“Wait wait” she breathlessly demanded. I stopped waiting for her to catch up. I held my arms out and hugged her as she came into my arms. 

“Yes we found each other” I whispered in her ear. 

“The shell” she breathed “how did it get in my pocket?” 

“Because it knew we were suppose to be together.” I smiled looking down on her. 

She put her hand in mine and we walked the beach her head on my shoulder not saying anything and not needing to. 

The reset button had been flipped and our time together started that night. 

November 30, 2019 11:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.