0 comments

General

The woman inhaled the crisp air. Had it always been so refreshing? Had the sun always been so bright? Were the birds always so cheerful? Or were they rejoicing at her freedom? She picked up her pace, going from a dazed wanderer to an agile runner. Her feet hit the worn path rhythmically. Thump, thump. Each time her foot came in contact with the ground, it jarred her bad leg, but she barely noticed. Her arms, muscled from doing heavy work, swung by her sides, elbows bent, fingers curled. The wind pushed against her face, causing her nose to numb and eyes to water. Whoosh. It stung against the scar on her cheek, but she relished the pain. It was proof that she wasn't dreaming. Proof that she was alive. Alive. The chilly air nipped at her lungs, and for the first time, she was glad that she was breathing. Her chest heaved with her erratic breathing, heart hammering against her rib cage. She blinked away the tears impatiently, eager to drink in the sights. The rolling green grass seemed like a heavenly carpet and the cloudless, pale blue sky appeared to her a blanket. As she neared the city, she checked her pace, settling for a brisk walk. The pedestrians gave her strange looks and skirted around her like she was a contagious disease. But the woman's bright eyes didn't seem to see that, as if she was looking into a celestial realm invisible to commoners. She rounded the corner and walked into the train station. Then she blinked. Why did everyone seem to be in such a rush? Why didn't they greet each other and smile? She shrugged it off. Perhaps there had been an emergency.

"How may I help you, ma'am?" the man behind the counter asked, his polite voice wavering at the sight of the flushed, grinning woman in front of him.

"How to you do?" her smile widened, if that was even possible.

"I'm very well, thank you," his eyebrows furrowed. "How may I help you?" he repeated.

"Where's the next train to?" she asked, her voice still breathless from her run.

"Los Angeles, ma'am," the cashier glanced at his computer, "In two minutes."

"I'll take it," the woman clapped her hands together gleefully and pulled out a wad of change and began counting out the money meticulously.

"Hurry up, woman!" the man behind her grumbled. The woman finally peeled away the notes handed the cashier the right amount, pocketing the rest with painstaking care. She clutched at her ticket like it was a priceless relic, an air of pride surrounding her. She walked over to the correct platform, smiling toothily at anyone who happened to look at her. The train rolled in.

"Oh my," the woman said, wide-eyed, "What a fascinating mechanism!" The people surrounding her edged away slightly, giving each other amused looks. A circus clown, no doubt, they each thought to themselves. The woman stepped in carefully, lifting her old-fashioned skirts. She sank into a seat and turned to the teenage girl next to her.

"It is such a wonderful day, isn't it?" she exclaimed, wriggling her feet in delight.

"I suppose," the girl replied uncertainly, averting her eyes from the woman's legs. The boy across them sniggered.

"Isn't this an amazing machine?" the woman asked, oblivious.

The girl seemed to be holding back a grimace. "I never really thought about it."

"Why ever not?" the woman looked surprised.

"Have you never been on a train before?" the girl arched a perfect eyebrow, "Where do you live?"

The woman's smile faltered. "No, I have not," she said evasively. The she brightened, "It is a truly amazing experience. Do you ride it often?"

The girl looked at her blankly, "Every month. My family lives in LA. My school's in Brooklyn."

"That's dreadful!" the woman looked truly shocked.

"I'm sorry?" the girl said, looking offended. But the corner of her mouth twitched.

"To be so far away from you family," the woman looked at her mournfully, as if she was on her deathbed, "You poor little thing."

"I'm not a poor little thing," the girl snapped. She turned away to hide her levity.

"Pardon me, I-" the woman stopped abruptly.

"You..." the girl prompted, having arranged her features into a scowl.

"I'm new here," the woman said lamely. She looked down at her interlaced fingers.

"I see." The rest of the journey passed in silence. The woman stared raptly out of the window most of the time, exclaiming under her breath over the rapidly changing landscape.

As the train slowed to a stop, the woman got up and stepped out. She looked around, at loss. The girl stared at her from a little distance, finally giving a frustrated sigh.

"Excuse me," she muttered, pushing her way through the crowds.

"Where will you be staying?" she asked the woman, tapping a foot against the black tile.

"I-uh-"

The girl pursed her lips, "I have a friend nearby. You can spend the night with her. Would you like me to get you a cab?"

"I wouldn't want to impose," the woman said, sounding terribly flustered.

"You won't be imposing," the girl rolled her eyes, "She won't mind."

"I really shouldn't..."

The girl set her jaw, "Come on then, I'll get you a ride."


The woman stared out of the window. Her breath turned to mist as it left her mouth. The mug in her hand steamed, its wamth seeping into her calloused hands. The city was still bustling with activities. The streetlight glared down at the passing cars. Some kids ran past, yelling with glee. Two men argued somewhere out of sight. A dog barked in the distance. A hooded figure skulked in the shadows. The moon shone high above all this, its light diffusing into the darkness. The woman, Emily, placed a single hand on the clear, cool glass and let out a loose sigh. A single tear ran down her pale cheek and onto her curved lips.

December 17, 2019 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.