Cafe Shi? Ender was there and well we spoke.. And? Mystery? I am still not sure his real name

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

2 comments

Bedtime Coming of Age Urban Fantasy

Ender was a mystery to most people. Let’s be honest if you have read about him. You would not have guessed it was him.

Meaning? Poet talking to a president.

Or pirate steals the ferry and sails it to rum isle.

A writer? Sure he wrote a few books that no one reads.

Mysterious? I suppose you could say that to him.

Let’s be honest, he was the person I spoke with for the first time since entering into Cafe Shi. That story is here some place on Reedy.

Ender himself? He is what he is.

A pirate, a poet, a writer of sorts. If you get a chance trace, his thoughts in the commented post. I would like to see who actually reads here versus just thumbs up and leaves.

His first memories are some five hundred years old or so. The year 1539 or something like that.

He was going to learn to cook at a pub. When he was kidnapped. That story is in the comments some place. You can find it. It was rather humorous.

Thus, after a rough adventure where he went from some port in England to Africa ending up a drift and finally marooned on an island near what today is called Cuba. He met his crew and built his first ship.

The Black Skimmer a smuggling small craft that could sail the ocean and low water down to two feet with weight distributed, etc. He loves going into details that I find mindless. Meaning? I am not aboard the skimmer. And? I have no plans of floating it with wheat, rum, or sugar. Nor evading the revenue men.

His adventures from there? Well, Gulliver’s travels? The little people he tells how his map from some Sir Burton got him stuck on the island. When I point out the date changes of some several centuries between 1500s and Sir Burton timeframe. Ender just smiles and says that is the love of Spacetime and reality.

Meaning? He never gives a direct answer. However, I the answer if you must know is different mirror realities have portals in them and while it might be 2021 here or 2013 there or well if you go back far enough I heard once upon a time portals reached seven days prior earth being populated.

Is that true? Well, depends. Meaning? As the author I think I might be 4.5 billion years old give or take a billion.

So, eons and centuries sure, I could see him skipping around time-space. He was, after all, a pirate. Not a very good pirate, but a pirate, nevertheless.

Why not such a good one? Well, he could take stories from point and to point b. But taking, say, a book or gem or such. Well, that is not how Spacetime works.

Meaning? Best I can guess, material matter fades between the mirror worlds. What is reality in one world can pass into another world. But you have to get rid of it before the moonlight changes or the material disappears.

Why? Something dealing with fairies or faes. I was told that story to once upon a time. However, that is a different direction, right?

Ender. Let me see an Ender story. Ender Talon is walking down a street when he notices a new bookstore. The sign hanging over the door “Enter the Magical Bookstore of Mirror Realities”. Thinking this would be of interest, he went in. To his surprise, an Owl perched behind the sales counter. Not thinking much about it, he went looking around. Searching for this is that book that might interest him.

He found “Mirror realities and their gateways” by Sir Richard Francis Burton. He knew the name. He just could not place it at that moment. Thinking something that a noble wrote about might be fun, he previewed the first page.

What you are about to read will change your life. Are you sure you want to continue? Well, that’s an opening hook for a book, thought Ender.

He added it to his side and continued to read through the shelves until he came upon the most odd book. It was one of a kind because opening he saw it handwritten and filled with news clippings and what looked to be references to hyperlinks to stories references by the writer Clinton R Siegle. The title page “The wondering mind through the multiverse”. It was a catchy title, so he added it to his side along with the other book.

Then he found himself in a shelving area where there were maps. Now this was exciting. The maps according to titles listed some most interesting places and seemed rather detailed from Ender’s memories of reading stories about the land of Oz and Wonderland. He found one with a collection of different themed stories that he loved as a child. The author Claw the pirate made him laugh. Wondering how on earth a person could legally use that? Then again, he supposed that they could use pen names in any manner of fashion.

With these three books, he went back to the entrance. He set the books down and looked for someone to ring him up. The owl hopped down from his perch and was about to touch the books. Ender said, “Ah?”

The owl replied, “That will be seven gold pieces, please.” Now this was earth, and talking owls were something new to Ender. His shock must have registered something on the owl’s face.

The owl said, ”First time here I see?” To which Ender was a bit taken back. For this was his first time hearing an animal outside of parrot talk. Ender replied, “Um, yes, and who are you?” The owl sort of fluffed his feathers and said, “Mr. Whoo, at your service. I own the place.”

Ender was wondering what seven gold pieces were valued in dollars? He pulled out his Mastercard. Ender said, “I was wondering if you take Mastercard?” Mr. Whoo looked at the card and at Ender.

Mr. Whoo said “So, you are not a normal person are you?” Now this was something to think about for Ender. Because as far as he knew, he was as normal as could be. If some might be wrong with him, a bit abnormal or below normal for most people. Ender’s expression must have registered something with Mr. Whoo., who then went to a book, opened it up and looked through several pages.

“Well, according to time and space, light currency money exchange would normally be 2100 dollars. However, that is with inflation for the time you were living in to that time of it being written. Which does not seem fair? So, according to time travel placement of the books and you seemly un-normal way of just entering my store Willie nellie the first book original sold for 8 pounds English which is in today’s dollars 24, the second sold original for free to a person who picked up a personal diary of one of the few Mandela Effected people to survive the movement of souls to the eighth realm of reality however I paid two books worth 10 dollars and need a profit so I will sell it to you for 12 dollars, and the maps book?” Mr. Whoo looked it over. He appeared to be thinking for a moment. Then said, “I will sell it for a storybook of yours once you get back from some of these places or for 16 dollars?”

Now Ender was thinking. He was off to go to cooking school, and traveling to anywhere was not in his plans at that present moment in time. So, spending 42 dollars on what he had expected to spend 24 to 18 was a bit more than he had planned on at that moment in time. However, this being a mystery that he did not remember having special powers to speak to animals nor wanting to miss out on the stories he thought must be in the books he pulled out his cash. He paid the money and said, “Mr. Whoo, may I ask where am I? I thought I was walking the streets of Bozeman, Montana and evidently I am no longer anywhere near there?”

Mr. Whoo chuckled with a reply “Sir, you are where you think you are however, who or what or how you got to this shop is a mysterious to me as your shocked face was to me when you heard me speak.”

Ender wondered for a moment. And thought before leaving. “May I look around once more, because if this is not a dream there were books here I wanted but just felt like not touching at that moment because they looked too expensive and I am curious about what I might miss out on?”

Mr. Whoo replied, “Why certainly, sir.” And with that went back to his perch, leaving Ender to wander the shelves once more. He went back to where he had seen the book titled “The true ending of two of the daughters of the House of Romanov”.

Ender picked up five more books of various interests and went back. Mr. Whoo was excited and added everything up to 83.50 this time, and Ender asked for a card or street directions back. To which Mr. Whoo chuckled with the reply, “When you least expect it you will find me again, sir.”

And with that Ender left the bookstore and found himself close to Baucus, his favorite of all you can eat soup and bread cafe in downtown Bozeman.

Ender had just gotten into the Baucus. He worried that all you could eat bread would be out. He asked if there is any left. The cute waitress replied, “There’s plenty left.”

He opened the first book he got from the bookstore Enter the Magical Bookstore of Mirror Realities, the title “Mirror realities and their gateways” by Sir Richard Francis Burton. After reading the first chapter about how a column in a mosque in Egypt had a way for it to hear the entire world and if asked brightly, you could listen into anyone or their thoughts, Ender exclaimed out loud, “It’s not real.”

The next bread and soup arrived by this time an old man came by. Ender knew him. Malcolm Storm. His great-great-grandfather used to own all of Bozeman and their old mansion now a frat house was on an enormous block with much of it looking like a park walked by. Malcolm said, “So you have just seen the other bookstore?” Ender replied, “How did you know that?”

Malcolm laughed and sat down. He then went into a story about one of the many stories about him purchasing books from Mr. Whoo. It was quite a story.

Ender asked, “How does one get back there?” And Malcolm, with a wink, says do not look, just do what you were doing when you found the bookstore for the first time. To which Ender thought for a while. He had just been wandering the streets of Bozeman, like Robert M. Pirsig had done, thinking how much time and money he was wasting on non-practical ideas being thrown out to him and when questioned? The professors always seemed to take offense to their ideas being asked to be explained. That was why he was thinking of quitting the whole thing.

He then noticed his book on maps. Claw the pirate, a piece of paper or map was hanging out. He reached for it and pulled it out. The realm of the Baucus sort of swirled away. Somehow he was sitting on a bench in a forest near water and he could hear the most beautiful voices ever. He looked around and his pack with the eight books was there and three loaves of bread and his wine glass was there. But to be anywhere in Bozeman? He had no clue where he was at?

Putting on his pack adding the loaves of bread and drinking the wine storing the glass in his pack the best he could he checked his shoes, socks, and found that he still had the service cloth napkin which he was thanking God for because he was out of Kleenex. After this preparation he left towards the singing. To make sure he could find his way back? He walked in a straight line using stones and twigs, picking up other items every few feet so he could look back and see where he came from.

What he thought was a river turned out to be a beach for a rather large lake or an inland sea, for the water was not salty. The music or singing he finally found was a party. Now, the singing was in some language Ender had never heard before and was wonderful. There were women playing in the sea, and to see the other creatures dancing around Ender thought he had gotten stuck in some Mad Hatter story. For there was either the best custom party Ender had ever been or there was a real life goat boy, a girl who modesty made Ender think maybe he was in some sort of Mardi gra for she was dancing wildly with either nothing or very little on. And the ladies in swimming? Ender wondered about the wine, for surely they had fin tails and no legs. Maybe Disney’s new theme park?

But, how? When a man walked by with a pitcher of? Well, Ender had no idea but somehow the glass that he for sure had in his pack was in his hand and now full of what was white wine. Seeing others drinking it, Ender went with the flow.

After the first sip? Ender was sure he stood and watched a cloud for maybe two weeks. The clouds were there, and the party went around him. However, time itself? He was sure he was just watching and not doing anything. And then? A person showed up he recognized. At Baucus the cafe the painting of the drinking deity was there and this? Well, this was almost a replica. Or Ender had ended up in the picture, maybe? Who knows? All Ender knew was Baucus was there, and the Mermaids were somehow now transforming into some of the most beautiful women Ender had ever seen.

Ender had known some beautiful women. How? Being abnormal, he was one of the few people that would make a person feel connected if they ever were given a chance to talk with him. And? He had listened to some of the wildest women and men in the world. His world, at least. How? He wandered into places that people often were lonely. Why? He was usually looking for food. When he would sit down, they would come up and tell him their stories. From Seals, to wild women, to murders, to drug users. He had survived two reservations and other places realities that many of his friends or people around him had not lived.

So when Ender looked and realized the most beautiful women were there and the music was lovely and they were dancing, he asked to join in. Now how? First, he used his hands to indicate could or would they mind? At first there was a bit of a lag. Meaning Ender's dancing moves were like syrup, considered to the women and other creatures dancing around.

Then a hush came over everyone. A lady and gentleman showed up. A whisper and this time Ender could understand the words. Whatever the wine was allowing him to hear. It was high ole German. The word rae or king and queen finally reached Ender’s ears as people were bowing to the two.

Just looking at the two Ender realized who they were. He had seen them in pictures of a book describing some Scottish pastor being kidnapped a long time ago. Ender bowed, even though he felt no need. Ender was, after all, a citizen of the United States after all was he not?

The king looked at Ender. And spoke. Now it was not really speaking. It was a dream or thought. Wildly. Ender felt the future and saw the king of fae and Ender drinking under a mountain, watching a cloud for two weeks. And the complete story. Then?

The Mermaids started to pair off with faes and other creatures, until there was a cute one dancing alone with Ender. They danced until? Who knows, it might have been one day or months. For Ender, the whole experience was like a dream. Her smile was pushing the boundaries of scary for Ender. For watching the rest he could see the shameful acts going around him and wondering where all this would end up.

Finally, Baucus came by with the King of fae again and a third man or Merman for his beauty was truthfully like those of ladies. The Merman then said something and magically the Claw the pirate map book was in his hand. The three sort of stared and looked at Ender for a moment and then laughter which was so wild that if Ender was not normal he was sure madness would have occurred.

Then the conversation happened and the next thing Ender recalled that everyone and everything was under the sea. Seems like a glass fish bowl wherever the sea was at.

Ender looking down found looking down that he had fins now and was moving with the lady who had been dancing still and her smile was that of something else. Something that showed such pleasure he was a bit worried about what had happened. She came up and said only one word “Rico”.

July 14, 2021 00:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Clinton Siegle
00:19 Jul 14, 2021

https://www.minds.com/Talon123/blog/books-sure-i-read-a-few-and-you-1261824549698449408

Reply

Show 0 replies
Clinton Siegle
00:19 Jul 14, 2021

With that word Ender found himself back on the bench where he had first entered this reality. His pack was still there checking all the books still there. The wine glass now had changed into a goblet of some metal. Wondering what to do he checked for the cloth for a napkin because a Kleenex is one of the most important things on any adventure. Sure it was there along with something else a new map. Was it from the CLAW the pirate book? Ender was not sure. However, looking at it he found that the bench was the entry point to what looked like a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.