Felicia's Fortune Chapter 1: Leaving Home

Submitted into Contest #79 in response to: Write about someone who decides it’s time to cut ties with a family member.... view prompt

31 comments

Fiction

This story is inspired by Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Magnus Chase and the gods of Asgard, and my siblings.


If you are reading this, you are most likely in danger. After you read this, burn the evidence so They don’t find you. Run and don’t look back. Pass on the story in secret, but only to others like you. My name is Felicia Quackenbush, and this is the story of how my life fell apart.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

I walked back into the kitchen through the back door, covered in sweat for the 2nd time this morning. Every day, I had to fight off bloodsucking monsters to keep my family safe. I had no time for school because I had to keep away the things that my family’s minds couldn’t comprehend.

I wiped a strand of floppy brown hair off my face so I could see. I usually had it up in a bun, but it always fell down. Yeah, I loved my family, but I just felt that it wasn’t my life. That I should be doing something different. I knew that I didn’t fit in, and they barely payed me any attention. I was basically a bodyguard.

I had been preparing a speech in my head for the past week now, and the words just didn’t want to fit together in the right way. I mentally ran through it again, determined to tell them I was leaving, and not procrastinate any more than I had to.

As I finished cleaning the sandy monster dust off my daggers, my dad came in the kitchen, yawning, and with him, a warm breeze from the air vents. I still remember what he told me about my actual mom - that after she had me, she decided that she had to move on and find someone else. That’s when he had found my stepmom, Ailsa, and they grew to love each other. After they got married, they had two daughters, now 4 and 7. Their names are Chloe and Dazi, and they are too young to understand why I am living with them.

I took a breath and sheathed my daggers. I looked him straight in the eye, even though I had to look slightly up (Dad is pretty tall). and he just stared back groggily. I handed him a cup of coffee, and started to speak.

“Dad, I know you love me and want to keep me around, but—” Dad cut me off before I could continue.

“Hey, it’s okay if you want to start your own life. For goodness sakes, you’re almost 16!” He paused for a moment, contemplating his next few words. “But, if you do go, I need to talk to you about something important. In private.”

I rolled my eyes. He was trying to give me one of those romance talks again. He would always try to make it interesting, but it was annoying all the same. Either way, he wasn’t going to let me get away without giving his speech.

We sat down at the table on chairs and watched the rain fall outside on the streets of London, Britain. Finally, he said to me, “Felicia, there is a place I would like you to go. You will be safe there, and you can find friends while learning about your past.” He paused and had to swallow back sobs to keep from breaking down in front of me. “I would tell you myself, but it brings back too many heartbreaking memories. There, you can live a whole life, far from danger, and you can have your own adventures. Your stepmom and I have been talking about this for a while, and we decided it was for the best.” He took a slow sip of boiling coffee, and recomposed himself. “I am giving you the address, in case you want to go.” He slid a business card across the table. It read:

Miron - Camp Director

Camp Sparta

Artillery Lane, London, 77137

Phone: 133-2278

I looked at the card suspiciously. This “Camp Sparta” was exactly where the abandoned college was. I shrugged. This might be worth checking out. I pocketed it and looked to see if my dad had anything else to say.

His next words were said slowly, as if he didn’t want so say the wrong thing. “Felicia, last thing before you pack up. I wanted to tell you that… You are the great-great granddaughter of someone powerful. Their bloodline shouldn’t have been mixed with your mother’s, but it did. I just wanted you to know that, okay? You are special, don’t ever forget that. I love you.” He wiped a stray tear from his face and went to go make this morning’s hash browns with eggs and bacon.

Those last sentences had left me speechless, and I was overflowing with questions. I kept peppering him with questions about what he said to me, but he wouldn’t reply to any of them. He kept his back to me, and I only gave up once Ailsa came down the stairs with Dazi in her arms and Chloe walking obediently behind her.

We all sat down as a family, and ate. I watched them as they talked about what they were going to do today. We all laughed and had a good time for about an hour until, finally, we all quieted down.

I looked up and my stepmom was looking at me. I looked to Dad, and he made a “go on” gesture. I was assuming he wanted me to tell Ailsa about my leaving home.

“Um, uh… Well, I wanted to head out and explore the world. I was thinking I should leave the house as to not get in your way and accidentally get you hurt.” I awkwardly twirled my fork over my plate.

My stepmom got up, smiled and invited me into the kitchen to make a going away cake to send me off on a good note.

We smiled, laughed, and joked about life, and even made fun of Dad, which he heard and barged into the kitchen to tickle us and romp around. I had so much fun with them, I almost forgot that I was supposed to be leaving today.

While the cake was baking, I ran upstairs to pack. I threw all the clothes and toiletries that would fit into my suitcase and duffel bag, grabbed my raincoat, and ran downstairs to put it by the front door.

After I made sure everything was ready, I hurried back to the kitchen, and got to making the frosting and decorating the cake. I made the cake look like a real, life-sized leather suitcase, with airplane tags and everything. I was proud of my work, even though it had taken most of the day to make. We all enjoyed big slices of cake, and joked about me owning a bakery chain when I left the house.

When it was time to leave, I had to promise my parents that I would send at least one letter back to them to let them know I was okay, and we were all crying, even Dazi and Chloe. I headed out the door, determined to start a new life.

I confidently walked to our gate, and slipped on the wet sidewalk and landed on my butt. So much for a dramatic exit. 😕

I got up and wiped myself off and looked back at my family. They were all laughing like hyenas, and it lightened my mood, knowing that I made my family’s day. I waved goodbye and stepped out of the yard and headed towards Artillery Street.

It was time I had my own adventure for once.


—Felicia Quackenbush

January 30, 2021 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

AntMan 🐜
17:57 Jan 30, 2021

Hi everyone! Thank you all for being patient with me while I worked on this! This story is the first part to a new "series-ish" that I am writing! I hope you all enjoy! Please comment on any mistake or if you just want to say hi. 🖐😁 Also, if you want another fun story to read with all your seemingly extra time, you should read: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/76/submissions/50511/ (Recording the Zodiac by: Katie W.) I highly recommend! Once again, thank you for reading this!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey! I really enjoyed this a lot<333 Great work, I can;t wait to read part 2! and so on:) 🍌🍌🍌🍌 I hope we can be friends!!!

Reply

AntMan 🐜
13:47 Mar 23, 2021

😁😁😁😁I'll check out the rest of your stories! We can TOTALLYYYYY be friends!

Reply

Thank youuu!!!! Same here! YAY!!! LOve making new friends!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Spencer Steeves
21:10 Feb 10, 2021

A sweet story, and I quite appreciated the use of the Rick Riordan style of writing, for lack of a better term. Certainly a good read.

Reply

AntMan 🐜
23:28 Feb 10, 2021

Thanks! I got most of my inspiration from The Lightning Thief! 😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire K
23:53 Feb 22, 2021

You did a wonderful job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Reply

Claire K
23:54 Feb 22, 2021

I love how you added emoji's.(Did I spell that right?")!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Reply

Claire K
23:55 Feb 22, 2021

Beautiful underlining job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Reply

Claire K
23:57 Feb 22, 2021

Did you purposely not put the cherry blossoms after This story is inspired by Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Magnus Chase and the gods of Asgard, and my siblings?

Reply

AntMan 🐜
02:10 Feb 23, 2021

YEP!

Reply

Show 0 replies
AntMan 🐜
02:10 Feb 23, 2021

YEP!

Reply

Show 0 replies
AntMan 🐜
02:10 Feb 23, 2021

YEP!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
AntMan 🐜
23:58 Feb 22, 2021

WHY THANK YOUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUu

Reply

Show 0 replies
AntMan 🐜
23:58 Feb 22, 2021

WHY THANK YOUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 14 replies
AntMan 🐜
02:10 Feb 23, 2021

U splled it rite 🤪

Reply

Claire K
22:08 Feb 23, 2021

YOUR WELCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Reply

Claire K
22:08 Feb 23, 2021

YOUR WELCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Valerie June
01:26 Apr 01, 2021

So, I’ve just discovered Percy Jackson and I’m in love with it. I’ve finished reading the first book and I’ll probably read the next one in the series soon. I stumbled across your account and saw that you had an ongoing series about Percy Jackson and mythology, I had to go back to the very beginning. I’m so glad that I did. I loved reading this story so much! I’m going to read the nexts parts as soon as possible now. I read your bio and noticed that you were stuck on book 5 in the Harry Potter series. It took my ages to get past that one as...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
07:10 May 12, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.