42 comments

American Contemporary Urban Fantasy

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Mentions of abuse and some swearing.


“Detective Nunez had recently been promoted from the rank of officer. He has admitted to a string of assaults against registered paedophiles near his home. Several of the men were left unable to function psychologically. One committed suicide shortly after being attacked.” I read from my phone.

            “Why did he do it?” Billie asks, bouncing baby Tina on her lap. “Even if he isn’t convicted, his career is over.”

            “He was keeping them off my trail. He bought me time. I think he wants me to keep going.” I put my phone down.

            Tina smiles as I catch her light brown eyes. Her toothless grin proved to me that tears of joy are a real thing. Her innocent delight washes away all the darkness in my mind. I’ve never felt so positive about the future.

            I’ve never felt so conflicted about my purpose in life. Detective Nunez was right. Some monsters will always be a threat to our daughters, to any child. The law only catches the ones that make mistakes, and even they get out eventually.

            “I need to help him,” I say. I’m shocked by my own words. Tina’s eyelids bob up and down. Her head rests on Billie’s swollen chest. Fingers too small to wrap around my pinkie tense in Billie’s Grogu T-shirt. We already have a Chewbacca costume for Tina that won’t fit her for months.

            “Do you?” Billie asks. Her voice is neutral, but her face tells me not to risk my future. “I know you were doing something good. I’m sorry for Detective Nunez, but maybe you should just be thankful for what he’s done. He helped keep his daughter safe telling you where those awful people were. Now he’s protecting you. Can’t you just take that as his blessing to live your life now? Tina needs a father.”

            Tina’s eyes are worthy of Puss in Boots. She looks at me as if she’s pleading as well. I smile. She smiles like the sun, and I can’t look away. Conflicting emotions tell me to cry. Joy for the light in my life. Fear for the evil around us that might kill the light inside her.

            “She needs self-defence classes as soon as she can walk,” I say. Tina smiles as if she agrees. Her eyelids slam shut and her head collapses into Billie’s cleavage.

            “Agreed,” says the doting mother. “Karate, Judo or Muay Thai? They do them at the local gym.”

            “All three and more?” I whisper, not wanting to wake the angel.

            “I might take some classes myself, when I have the time again.” Billie rubs Tina’s back gently. Waking herself with a burp, Tina cries, panicked.

            “Maybe you should go for a ride with Papa.” Our darling’s eyes go wide as she floats in the air by her armpits. As Tina nears me, I know she needs to be changed.

            “Maybe Mama didn’t want to change your stinky diaper?” I say as Tina tilts her head. I carry her to the changing table and spin the plastic elephants on the mobile above.

            “I feed her,” Billie says haughtily, “then you change her. I deal with input. You deal with output.” She’s changing the subject for sure. She doesn’t want me thinking about the creepy monsters living less than a block away.

            “I’m going to visit Detective Nunez,” I say as Tina bounces in my arms. She only lets me hold her one way, facing the world as if she’s riding a dad shaped horse. I hum a classical tune I associate with horse racing and prance up and down the floorboards of the loft.

            “You’re completely different since she was born,” Billie says. “In a good way. I’ve never seen you so happy.” She’s changing the subject again. Maybe she’s hoping I’ll forget.

            “I’ve never been this happy,” I say. Tina fusses because I’ve stopped bouncing her. She giggles as I start again.

            “We need to get carpets. Rugs to stop her smashing her skull if she falls. We’re not ready for her.” Billie waved a hand at the wooden floorboards.

            “No one is ever ready for a miracle,” I say. I turn Tina to look into my eyes and lift her up. She smiles, then pukes, still smiling. Mess drips down onto the floorboards and my T-shirt. My Led Zeppelin design has a streak of white across it. I’m grateful that the puke of a month-old baby doesn’t have the hideous acidic smell it will later.

 

Nunez laughs bitterly as I walk into view of his cell. “Why are you here, Xander? I took the bullet.” He’s sitting on a metal bed. Four concrete walls and a toilet are his world. A hideous grey pillow and blanket are his only comforts.

            “I wanted to thank you. Why though?” My sapphire eyes investigate his zircon irises.

            “My bed at home was too comfy.” His eyebrows arch. “I was tired of waking up in bed with my beautiful wife. I didn’t want to see my adorable girl growing up.” He rubs dishevelled hair with the heels of his hands.

            “I would have been arrested without ever seeing my daughter if you hadn’t confessed. How can I repay you?” I hold the cold bars between us, getting close enough that I don’t see them at all.

            He stands. “You didn’t do anything before,” he growls. We both know that’s a lie. “I want you to keep doing NOTHING. Understand?” He comes almost nose to nose with me. “You didn’t do anything to the perverts.” He starts whispering. “Don’t do anything to the ones that live near you and your daughter. And your wife.”

            His message is plain enough to me. We’re playing opposite day.

            “Michaela Alvarez from CPS can help you,” Nunez whispers and leans back as if he hasn’t said a word. “I think you should go now,” he says for all to hear.

 

The office of Michaela Alvarez in the Child Protection Service headquarters is beyond dingy. I should have waited for an appointment to meet her, but I pretended to be delivering documents. A brown envelope filled with blank paper has the address on it. No one noticed that there is no handler’s mark, no stamp.

            I knock on her door.

            “Yes?” Her voice is sharp with irritation.

            “I have some documents for you,” I say.

            She looks up from her desk, pushing her half-moon glasses up her nose. Frowning, her brown eyes scan my attire.

            “What delivery service is too cheap to buy you a uniform?” Her long hair is curly. Silver streaks cut through the umber strands that are tied up in a bun.

            “I was sent by Detective Nunez,” I say. Closing the door behind myself, I sit down in the chair opposite her desk.

            “I’m very busy, sir. I don’t have time for pranks, or whatever this is.”

            “Trying to stop people who haven’t done enough to be arrested but are still a risk to children?” I ask.

            “That and more.” Bags under her eyes crease as she frowns at me. Something in her eyes tells me she’s smarter than I am, and she knows it. “I don’t care if Nunez did send you. I want you to leave.”

            “Shake my hand and I’ll go.” I raise both of my hands to show I’m not carrying anything. I hold out my right.

            “If that’s what it takes,” she sighs and reaches across her desk to take my hand.

            I reach into her mind, seeing years dedicated to helping children. Cases involving neglect, abuse, and some where malicious rumours had almost split caring parents from happy children. I saw losses. Children murdered by their own family because the law could not respond to warning signs. She’d seen it all a thousand times.

            I shared memories with her. Memories of a boy I’d met when Nunez gave me a tip. Memories of his abuser. My own memories of my daughter.

            Michaela sat back in her chair as I let go of her hand. “What the fuck was that?”

            “Memories. I saw yours. You saw mine, those of a paedophile, and of a survivor.”

            She grabs an inhaler from her desk drawer and takes a deep blast. The inhaler is ditched in favour of a paper bag.

            “Sorry. I know it’s intense. I’m used to seeing other people’s memories and it still hits me hard.”

            There is no sound in the office except the paper bag inflating and deflating. When she stops, the ticking of her wall clock takes over. Wiping her eyes with tissues from beneath a mess of paperwork, she looks at me.

            “What are you?”

            “A father,” I say. “A friend of Detective Nunez. Someone who can incapacitate people beyond the reach of the law without physically hurting them. Some of the memories you saw were from the mind of a man who had served his sentence for molestation. Some of the memories were from the little boy I found at his house. The child can’t remember what was done to him. The man no longer has the mental capacity to hurt anyone except himself.” I’ve explained my gift enough to Billie and Detective Nunez that it rolls off my tongue.

            Hiding her open mouth beneath the wrinkled fingers of her hand, Michaela looks at the shadow in the corner of the room.

            “You’re a vigilante?” She asks when she turns to look at me again. Her voice is a hoarse whisper.

            “That’s part of it.”

            “Legally speaking, the most prominent part,” she says. Mrs Alvarez sits up in her chair, perfectly calm again. “And you’ve done this many times?”

            “Depending on the definition of many, yes.”

            “Do it again.” She reaches out a hand where liver spots are starting to show.

            “Really?”

            “I need to believe you.”

            “Don’t make me Agent Mulder,” I say, taking her hand.

            I pour my life into her head. My memories, birthdays with Billie. Holding Tina for the first time. It’s not like usual. I’m not giving them away, I realise. I’m giving her a copy.

            “Your daughter is beautiful,” says Michaela. “As is Billie, though I could have done without seeing you both in the shower together.” I blush. “My goodness. I never thought people like you exist. There’s magic in the world?”

            “There’s people like me, and others.”

            “Others?”

            “My father could do what I do. He was a monster though. I could have done with you working on my case when I was a kid. Might still have had a brother, and a mother.”

            She stares at me for a long time. I can almost see the gears turning inside her head.

            “Can you stop the ones that don’t want to stop?”

            “People need their memories to function,” I tell her. I let her imagination do the rest.

            “Then I have some names for you.” She reaches into her desk and pulls out file after file. “I’ll give you them all now. Coming here often won’t be a good idea.”

            I nod. “That sounds sensible.”

            She takes out a notepad and rips out the used pages. Copying names and addresses from her files, she writes for a solid twenty minutes.

            “Is that all of them?” I ask when she finally stops.

            “If only.” She laughs bitterly. “These are the worst.” There must be fifty names and addresses in the notepad. She tosses it to me. “If you ever get through all of those, I’ll give you more. Go. I still have work to do.”

            “You’re not what I expected,” I tell her as I stand.

            “I doubt anyone ever expects you,” she says smiling. “Thank you for opening my mind. I don’t think I’ll sleep for days.”

            “You’re welcome?” I say, confused.

She’s already back to work, and dismisses me with a wave of her hand.

 

Sixty-three names. I number them all with a pencil as I sit in my car. I’m not starting today, and I’m not taking the notepad home. I have a zip lock bag from sandwiches that just fits. I need it somewhere safe.

            There’s a gas station near my house. I fill up and use the bathroom. The ceiling tiles pour dust over me as I stash the notebook.

 

Tina is a ray of dribbly joy. She smiles as she sees me. I make a silent promise that she will never even walk past anyone from Michaela’s files. No one will ever take her smile away.

September 27, 2022 10:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

10:06 Sep 29, 2022

Nicely written again. The voice of Michaela Alvarez is very different than the MC and really fits the mindset of a tired civil servant. I like how we are carried through her cynicism and we also start to believe in memories being transferred. Your writing about family and children is so good...I especially liked these lines: "Fingers too small to wrap around my pinkie tense in Billie’s Grogu T-shirt. We already have a Chewbacca costume for Tina that won’t fit her for months." “I feed her,” Billie says haughtily, “then you change her. I de...

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:20 Sep 29, 2022

I have the perfect inspiration for Tina with my own baby girl.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Frayer
22:37 Oct 07, 2022

Hi Graham! I’m writing this review as part of this week’s critique circle. I enjoyed reading A Father’s Love Has Two Blades, though I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of first-person present-tense. I find it…claustrophobic, for lack of a better word. Nonetheless, by the end I had ceased to notice, so that alone says something about the story. 😊 There was one place in the middle, though, where you inadvertently used past-tense: “Billie waved a hand at the wooden floorboards.” Using present tense was particularly jarring for me when you jumped forward...

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:26 Oct 07, 2022

Thank you for spotting the past tense gaff. Hopefully this works as a one off but it’s also an episode of a larger story I started a while ago. I chose first person and present tense because I’m not a fan of either so it was a challenge. The main character, Xander, being hard to picture suggests I need to find a way to add descriptions of him throughout the story. I don’t mind as much if people have their own idea of what he looks like though. It’s his personality and his abilities that I’m more interested and in. That doesn’t excuse lack of...

Reply

Anna Frayer
15:03 Oct 10, 2022

I really respect your going outside of your comfort zone with the first person - that's what we're here for, right? To challenge ourselves? With Xander, it wasn't so much his physical appearance I was missing - it was him in general. I've been giving it more thought, and I think maybe it's because Nunez and Alvarez are more archetypical, so I made certain assumptions about them as a reader based on my outside experiences. But now that I know it's part of a larger story, I'm sure there's more opportunities to get to know Xander. I'll definite...

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:02 Oct 10, 2022

Fair enough and thank you again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
23:34 Oct 07, 2022

I see on your profile you’ve written a lot of epic fantasy books, don’t know why I’m plugging someone else’s business but I’m working with a writing coach called Max Gorlov from First Book Coaching. They do a flat rate for all of the editing, character building, world building… It’s not cheap, but if it means you achieve a dream then it would be worth it. Have a look. They’re on Facebook.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Welch
14:02 Oct 07, 2022

YOU WIN IN MY BOOK ... CLOSE TO SOMETHING SO TRUE!!!!

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:29 Oct 07, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:07 Oct 04, 2022

Both the premise and the writing was incredibly on point. You can really feel the emotions through the page especially with the father's struggles.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:26 Oct 04, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
19:01 Oct 03, 2022

I really like the concept of your character’s powers and his vigilantism. I also love the sweet moments between the father and his daughter. I’ll have to go back and read the other stories. Great job!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:31 Oct 03, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Kate Winchester
22:48 Oct 03, 2022

Welcome 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
14:02 Oct 03, 2022

Clapping

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:29 Oct 03, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:45 Oct 03, 2022

This is a very intriguing story. It took me a little while to figure out what the protagonist was up to, but then you revealed it quite well. I like how you pulled from your own love for your baby to create the protagonist’s emotions and love for his baby daughter.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:58 Oct 03, 2022

Thank you. The easiest thing to write about is your own life. Fatherhood has given me lots of new experiences to draw on as a writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Feuer Wasser
19:31 Oct 02, 2022

Yet another amazing chapter to this story. Very well done. I love your writing. Thank you.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:33 Oct 02, 2022

Thank you for your kind words, Feuer Wasser.

Reply

Feuer Wasser
22:39 Oct 05, 2022

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kyle Bennett
21:33 Oct 01, 2022

We can only wish there was that much hope.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:31 Oct 01, 2022

Having a child is a good reason for hope. I don’t know if it’s just the way that they smile or that you need them to have a bright future. Governments aren’t helping with that, starting wars and eroding workers rights.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maria Alexandra
20:09 Oct 01, 2022

Really loved the memory sharing idea, and how you put it together with such as sensitive yet relevant topic. I’m sorry about the main character though - having such a gift must be mentally consuming to the point of collapse

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:41 Oct 01, 2022

He’s actually in a better place than he was in previous chapters.

Reply

Maria Alexandra
08:14 Oct 02, 2022

Oh dear I didn’t realize this was a book😍 keep it up and good luck!

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:34 Oct 02, 2022

Not a book really, just a series that I’ve been posting on Reedsy. Started out far darker.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
18:05 Oct 01, 2022

Wow. Such a powerful punch to the gut. I know there are empaths, and I know folks can find so much in the minds of others, but I never thought of describing it quite the way you did - which was marvelous. Thank you for sharing, ~MP~

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:45 Oct 01, 2022

Thank you. He has more to his powers but I’ve not used the other elements since the first story. That was a grim tale compared to this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Graham, I’m doing a blow-by-blow comment here as I read through this story for the first time. First of all, the title intrigues me. [Tina smiles as I catch her light brown eyes. Her toothless grin proved to me that tears of joy are a real thing. Her innocent delight washes away all the darkness in my mind. I’ve never been so positive about the future.] This paragraph is so sweet! It shows the father’s love for his daughter so clearly. I would swap [been] for {felt}             [I’ve never been so conflicted about my purpose in life....

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:56 Oct 01, 2022

I made 99 percent of those changes as you said. Thank you so much for taking the time to point out all of those little fixes. I've been working on this series for a while. It was a more simple, brutal story to start with but I wanted to give the MC some family to add more dimension to him. I can send you a link to the first one. It was very different from this. If it's the cute family stuff that you like about this then you might not like the first as it focuses on the main character dealing with terrible people and raiding their memories. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
02:06 Sep 29, 2022

Really cool story idea! The fierce love of a father is a noble motive for a pedophile hunting vigilante. Loved that you were able to perfectly put into words this thing that is true of every baby and every parent: "She only lets me hold her one way, facing the world as if she’s riding a dad shaped horse. I hum a classical tune I associate with horse racing and prance up and down the floorboards of the loft." Da da dum, da da dum, da da dum dum dum!

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:16 Sep 29, 2022

Plucked from my life, my daughter lets my wife hug her one way but knows I can hold her so that she sees the world so she demands it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M B
17:45 Sep 28, 2022

Nicely done, I like your characters power and how he uses it. Very good character interactions here.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:13 Sep 28, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

M B
21:44 Sep 28, 2022

You're quite welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
13:38 Oct 21, 2022

If you liked this and would like to know what happens next, then use the link below. Thank you for reading. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/qnkyjq/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aoi Yamato
03:44 Aug 24, 2023

another good one.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:40 Aug 25, 2023

Thanks.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:59 Aug 29, 2023

welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
01:41 Nov 25, 2022

Graham, another great entry in the Xander saga. I agree with all the commentators here who enjoyed the depictions of the MC's joyous fatherhood as well as the portrayal of the auxiliary characters like Nunez and Alvarez. I'm looking forward to reading the remaining installments.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:18 Nov 25, 2022

Thanks, Mike. Not sure where I’m going with the story next. I have far less time to write at the moment so I’m trying to read more people’s stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.