Skittles, the Knitting Pelican.

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

4 comments

Kids

“Bye mum! I’ll be back before dinner. Love ya” Skittles the pelican cried as he opened the door. “Love you” his mum hollowed back from the kitchen. Skittles flew through the door and took flight to Phillip Island. 


As he arrived at the Nobbies, he saw his penguin friends happily as they ran about, played and nursed the new borns. “Hey guys!” said Skittles as he landed. Everyone came rushing over, as they said hello and waved. Kippy, his oldest friend came rushing over to give him a wing bump. “Hey Kip!” cried Skittles. The kids came rushing over as they crawled all over Skittles. “We’ve missed you!” all the kids cried. “Me too guys. I’ve missed you all. Haven’t seen you all in weeks!” said Skittles happily. Skittles and all his friends chatted and played along the water's edge, happy to be together again! Spiro hobbled out on his walking stick. “Hey Spiro” Skittles cried. Spiro grunted and heaved as he made his way towards Skittles. Spiro patted Skittles on the back and Skittles grinned. “How is everyone?” asked Skittles, happily. Suddenly everyone looked around sadly at each other. “What’s going on guys?” asked Skittles concerned. “We….” began Kippy sadly. “Are been effected by oil pollution. It’s awful, Skittles. We can’t even preen ourselves as if we ingest the oil it is toxic and oh we are so cold….Skittles. We can’t even hunt for food! We don’t know what to do” explained Spiro sadly. Skittles was wordless as all the penguins comforted each other. “Oh dear! That’s awful! There must be something we can do” said Skittles, determined. “We’ve tried everything we can think of Skittles” said another penguin. Skittles shook his head sadly as he comforted Kip who looked on the verge of tears. “We’ll work this out together” said Skittles comfortingly. Skittles knew he and his penguin friends would find a way to work this out! Skittles was determined to help his friends. 


Skittles tried to enjoy the rest of his time on the Nobbie’s but he still felt sad about his latest discovery. As the sun started to go down, Skittles said his goodbyes as he flew off back to San Remo and made it home just in time for dinner. Skittle’s family sat around the table and Skittles joined them as his mum came out with dinner. “Hello Skittles. How was your time on the Nobbies?” asked his family. Skittles explained all his new findings over dinner and they all seemed sad too. “Oh dear, what are they going to do?” asked his dad. Everyone seemed sad about this and said they would put their thinking caps on to think of an idea. After dinner, Skittles went to his room and shut the door as he thought long and hard. 


Suddenly as he scrolled through Fishbook, he had a brilliant idea! He jumped up and nearly squealed with delight. He would make jumpers for the penguins! He raced out his bedroom door to go and see his Nanny whom sat on the couch. “Nan! Can I borrow your knitting needles and wool?” asked Skittles. Nan laughed and agreed. “Do you even know how to knit, Skit?” asked Nan. “I re-member everything you taught me Nan” replied Skittles with a grin. “Alright then, here you go them" said Nan as she handed the balls of wool and needle to him. “Thanks Nan” said Skittles. He took it into his bedroom and began making the warmest, fluffiest jumper he could knit. 


He knitted all night and in the early hours of the morning, he finally finished. Skittles tried to go sleep but he was so excited he couldn’t sleep, so he just decided to make an early visit to the Nobbies to show his penguin friends. With the jumper in his bill, he took off. 


“Skittles!” they all cried when he arrived. “Hey guys! Where’s Spiro?” asked Skittles. Spiro waddled out. “I’m here child. So nice to see you again” said Spiro. “I have a present for you” said Skittles as he dropped the jumper out of his bill onto the sand. Spiro admired it. “What is it?” asked Spiro curiously. “A jumper, to stop the oil pollution!” cried Skittles excitedly. Spiro lit up as he put his new jumper on. “Goodness me Skittles! It’s just perfect!” he cried happily as he waddled around in a circle. “I want one!” said a little penguin and soon everyone joined in. “I will bring one to you all soon. Bye for now” said Skittles as he flew off, knowing he had lots of work to do!


 When he got home he thought about how he was going to make all the jumpers and suddenly had a brilliant idea! He jumped on Fishbook and added a post to his page to band the people of the Bass Coast together to all make a jumper or two for the penguins.


The next morning he awoke, he had thousands of comments on his post offering to help. And he rallied his family together to all make one too. “We will definitely have enough soon!” declared Skittles happily.

 The next couple of days brought lots of woolly jumpers for all the penguins. He was so glad and planned on delivering them the next morning. 


When Skittles awoke, he rallied all the pelicans together as they began to deliver the jumpers. Each carried a basket in their bill and they all took off. When they landed with the jumpers, all the penguins jumped about in glee. “Oh wow!” the kids said in awe, their beaks wide open. They couldn't wait to all put a jumper on!


 After five loads, they had finally delivered all the jumpers. Everyone was so happy and waddled about gleefully in their new jumpers. “Thank you so much!” they all cried. Kippy went up too Skittles and smiled. “This means so much to us! You’re the best mate ever” Kip said with a smile. Kip and Skittles hugged and soon everyone came to join. “Thanks Skittles!” they all cried. Skittles smiled to himself that he was able to help his friends, he just needed to think outside the box!

May 22, 2020 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Amelia K
14:06 Jun 04, 2020

Nice

Reply

Vanessa Shipway
05:57 Jun 14, 2020

Aww thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vickie Acer
14:05 Jun 04, 2020

Great story, what a great friend to have. A little hard to read with such long paragraphs, but great show not tell.

Reply

Vanessa Shipway
05:57 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you for reading and for your input :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.