Communion of the Ecoists

Submitted into Contest #90 in response to: Write about a community that worships Mother Nature.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Speculative

Nate reported to his superior, Dion, "Mission was a success, sir. Our satellites were successful in deploying the bioagents across the EU. At their present rate, they should infect the entire Union within 42 days."

Dion stroked his beard and then said, "The infection rate isn't sufficient. Can we amp it up?"

Nate looked at its consoles and tried adjusting the parameters. "I have increased the infection rate by 95%. It is the best I can give."

"How long before it infects the entire targeted region?"

"By my calculations, it can be anywhere near 21 or 22 days from now."

Dion crossed his arms and said, "That will have to do. You may leave now, Nate."

Dion turned over to the newest recruit Chi, who was handling media observation. He asked Chi, "Any signs of early detection?"

She replied, "No, sir. I have been monitoring all the news outlet and social media handle. There is no mention of the bioagents yet."

Dion nodded in approval. "What is the latest estimate on the earliest possible detection?'

Chi looked over the data and said, "Within 3-4 days, it must be public."

"Will our operation be in stage two by then?"

Chi typed in the new data into the computer, and after a thorough analysis of the output, said, "Based on Nate's projections, we would have infected 14.04% per cent of the population. It should be enough to initiate stage two."

Dion said, "Alright!" and announced on the facility speakers, "Every personnel on this facility is instructed to evacuate the premises and maintain radio silence until prompted otherwise."

Within a matter of hours, everybody left the facility, and it started to look like a ghost building. 

Dion called Aseen to report about the progress and the developments over a secured network. Aseen was Dion's commanding officer and the head of the cult, 'Communion of the Ecoists." It was a cult of 100 ingenious inventors, doctors and scientists who believed humanity had led astray. They thought that through concerted efforts, they could bring about a radical change in the system. They religiously worshipped Nature and everything that is a part of it. 

Aseen asked, "So I take that everything went according to plan?"

Dion responded, "Yes, Kahuna. "

"Alright. Keep me posted. It is time for my invocation."

"Kahuna, I pray that Nature hears you," and terminated the connection. 

Pane woke up because of a phone call. It was his assistant, Maxine. She was repeatedly calling but cut the phone call as soon as Pane had picked it up. Ten minutes later, she marched up to his room. 

Pane yelled at her, "You do this again and consider yourself fired. Understood!"

She replied, "But sir, this is the only way to wake you up and not get yelled at."

Pane rubbed his eyes and said, "This better be good or else..."

"It concerns 'Communion of Ecoists'"

Pane leaned forward and said, "You have my attention?"

"Reports confirm that the virus was an artificial bioagent created by the deranged cult 'Communion of Ecoists'"

"What else do we know about this cult?"

"Not any more than the media houses."

"They know, too?"

"Yes, they haven't made anything public, but they keep calling me to confirm the report."

"How did they gain access to the confidential files?"

"They didn't. 'Communion of Earth' notified them that they would come to live today at 6 am."

With sarcasm, Pane said, "Now, that's some news for people to wake up. Can we stop the broadcast?"

"No, sir. Media houses didn't tell us about this live broadcast until an hour before. It was very little time to stop them."

"So no one can stop this havoc?"

"I am afraid so."

Pane was having difficulty swallowing. His nightmares were coming true. The truth the Union was trying to hide for two days was going to be out now. 

The clock struck 5.50 am, and the chaos began. Angela, the lead newsreader of CNN, started her show, "Good morning, viewers. I have some chilly news. The virus which, has already infected more than 50 million people and was recently announced by WHO as a pandemic, was actually artificially created. Yes, viewers, you heard it right. A notorious cult by the name, 'Communion of Ecoists' and who claim to be green-friendly, has taken responsibility for the virus. The cult leader 'Kahuna' will be with us in a few moments."

All the TV sets went black for a moment before resetting with a distorted video.

"My warm regards to corrupted people of Earth. I am not here to discuss any terms of negotiations but to explain our group's motive. We, humans, have led ourselves astray. We have poisoned our own home for a long time."

The screens showed pictures of glacier melting, droughts and deforestation. Videos of animals choking to death because of plastic, a documentary on the destruction of Earth followed it. 

In the EU commissioner's office, all hands were busy trying to triangulate the signal of transmission.

Pane ordered, "Faster people. We need to find its location."

A newcomer said, "It is not possible to determine the signal's exact location because they have hacked various satellites and are using them to transmit the video worldwise. They have also masked the signal."

Pane banged his fist against the desk. "Anyone who can tell me some good news?"

Maxine said with a long face, "Nothing much, sir. They are all decoys."

Pane wrung his hands and collapsed in the chair. 

The distorted transmission of Kahuna returned. He continued, "I hope that the world now understands our reasons and concerns. We have the cure for the virus, but it all depends on the willingness of your governments. Until next time."

The live transmission was ensued by panic and anarchy. Pane's office was flooded with phone calls. Pane's team had all calls on hold in anticipation of the negotiation call. They waited for a day and then another and another. The situation wasn't improving. With each passing day, more and more people were getting into the clutches of the virus. Pane's office had imposed an emergency curfew to slow down the spread of the virus. The little information available with the scientists about the virus wasn't of much help either.  

It was finally on the 4th day from the live transmission that the Communion contacted Pane's office. Pane hadn't slept for the last four days, and when the call came, he jumped on his legs and, with gritted teeth, he attended the negotiations.  

Pane said to the Kahuna, "Let's be done with it."

Kahuna said, "You sound tired, Mr Pane?"

"None of your concern."

"Alright. Let me give you an advice: you can ask your engineers to stop tracking me. They will never triangulate my location. The conditions for negotiations are that every clause has to be abided by by both parties. In case of any dispute, Communion's decision shall be final. Is that understood?"

"Yes. What do you want?"

"I want the industrials units, which I have detailed in an email to you, to be shut down. The government has to undertake afforestation and river cleaning projects. Conventional sources of electricity have to be replaced with renewable energy sources. A fifth of every annual budget has to be pledged for green initiatives. At last, the administration has to ensure proper implementation of the existing environmental protection laws."

"That will be all? You don't need anything for yourself or the Communion?"

Pane was trying to stall the negotiations to triangulate Kahuna's location.

"No irrelevant talk. The antidote will be given to the EU as soon as all terms are agreed to by your office. The antidote will suppress the virus, and in case the government violates the negotiation, the virus can be turned on again inside the host's body."

"I understand. No messing around with the Communion, but at least you can help me understand why you are doing this?"

Maxine said to Pane in a low tone, "we are halfway through."

Kahuna said, "That's interesting, Mr Pane. I had believed that you must be watching my live transmission intently. But in case you didn't, I will clarify it for you in three simple words. Humans disgust me. From a distance, humans are all about morals and ethics, but when faced with the situation themselves, they would term their ill doings as being practical. The only permanent thing is our mother nature, and we are destroying her too. We destroy everything we set our eyes on."

"You have some strong views about us, humans. Not all are alike"

"Not all, but most are."

Aseen was alerted by Dion about intruders in one of their facility.

Aseen said to Pane, "Nice attempt at stalling me. For a second, I had thought that your interest was genuine. Your security team had followed a ghost signal to an abandoned facility. You have an hour to let me know of your decision." Aseen cut the call.

Pane settled in his chair for a moment and then called a meeting of his colleagues. 

The meeting was chaired by Netherland. Netherland had taken charge of the EU as the anarchy grew. Netherland's president, Aur Ruette, had assembled different teams of capable individuals to tackle the situation. 

Aur asked Pane, "Are these their only demand?"

Pane replied, "Yes, Aur. They are only demanding these. I think we should give in to their demands."

"We might as well give them the nuclear codes. They are talking about disabling two-third of our industrial capabilities. We are already lagging behind America. Do you want us to be compared with African nations in the latter days?"

"Then what do you plan to do? They have an upper hand in this situation, and, thankfully, no one has died yet. Are you waiting for someone to die?"

"If a few lives are to be lost to track and disable this cult, then so be it. My engineers and intel teams are very close to tracking this cult's leader and its members."

"I can't believe that I am still talking to you."

"You have to. You are the EU's commissioner and I am its strongest leader at the moment. If I wanted, I can have you removed from your post in the blink of an eye."

The engineering team's in charge, Koeref, reported, "Sir, we have isolated the source of the virus. We have cross-checked, and this time it is authentic. The intel team has already sent a team to confirm our report."

Pane and Aur rejoiced over their first victory against the communion. They even set aside their differences and hugged for a moment. 

Ten minutes later, the intel team's leader, Kauf, reported, "The intel team has confirmed engineering's report. The Communion's headquarters is based in Mount Elbrus."

Pane interrupted Aur and said, "What are you waiting for? Send an intercepting team and disable the cult."

Aur opened a champagne bottle and shared it with Pane. 

Aur celebrated, "The biggest enemy of the 'union' is about to be disabled. What better to celebrate?"

Pane joined him and asked, "yes, it is a celebration indeed, but what next?"

Aur looked at Pane for some time and said, "I am telling you this only because I trust you. I want to expand Netherland's influence far and wide. It is possible only by taking control of the EU. I was hoping that if you join me, you can lend my control over EU legitimacy. What do you say, friend?"

"Interesting proposition. But what am I to gain from it?"

"My commander position has been vacant for long, and I hear that you wanted to be in the military rather than diplomacy. "

Pane said., "You hear right," and laughed in a crooked manner.

Kauf called Aur and informed him, "The kahuna has been arrested. We have their entire database. We would catch all their members soon."

Maxine who was eavesdropping on their conversations for a long time bustled into the room and held Aur and Pane at gunpoint. She said, "I had wished not to take such radical actions, but you are forcing me to do so."

Auf said, "Girl, keeping us on gunpoint is of no use. The moment I call for security, you would be as dead as a dead bird. So I suggest that you put down the gun and surrender yourself."

Maxine replied, "What security?" and scoffed, "The ones lying sedated at the ready room."

In a rage, Aur threw a vase at Maxine. Maxine ducked and fired at Aur's leg. Aur fell to the ground and started to bleed.

Pane exclaimed, "Maxine!" but when she gave him his deadly stare, he stood down. In a soothing voice, he continued, "See, Maxine, we can deal with the situation in a friendly manner. Why are you doing this?"

"If you haven't guessed until now, I am a member of the Communion. They had planted me here to keep an eye on you."

"It's surprising that I never even suspected you. What are your demands? Because with the control panel under our custody, you cannot threaten us anymore."

"Our attempts at saving the earth may not have been successful, but I still have you as our leverage."

"Killing me won't do you any good. We already have your entire cult in our custody."

Maxine thought for a moment and then said, "Alright, I will let you go if you release my comrades."

"That's a lot you are asking. You are asking me to let go of the most dangerous terrorists for the sake of my petty life?"

"We are not terrorists! We are just better humans than you, who understand the need to save Earth."

"Are you actually better or do you just believe so?"

Maxine rolled her eyes and said, "I don't want to get involved in these mind games of yours. This is my final offer: I will let you go and disable the virus if you release everybody from custody. You will not get a better offer, because without a member of the Communion the control panel is as good as dead."

Pane smirked and said, "Alright, I will take it."

He called Kauf and said, "Ask Koeref to dismantle the control panel and bring it along with the cult members over here."

Maxine protested, "That was not the deal."

Pane put the call on hold and glanced at Maxine, "Take it or leave it."

"Fine."

Kauf said to Pane over the call, "But I need Aur's authorisation for it."

Pane said, "He isn't available right now. He had put me in charge of overseeing the Communion mess."

"But why release the cult members?"

"Because I am telling you to do so."

Kauf was a little suspicious, but he was used to following the chain of command. He replied, "Haye, sir" and carried out his orders.

Once the virus was disabled and a sample of the vaccine and antidote was handed over to Pane, the cult members were allowed to leave.

Maxine announced to them of their negotiation and said, "I regret taking the deal, but to ensure the survival of the cult, I had to take it. I am taking over Kahuna's place and I assure you that I will achieve the goal of our communion. I request you all to go underground until prompted otherwise."

The cult members objected to her decision and there were signs of mutiny, but when Dion pledged his allegiance to Maxine, everyone followed and accepted her as their Kahuna. 

After ensuring that everyone had left, when Maxine was about to leave, Pane said to her, "I know your identity and others too. It won't be soon before we meet again."

Maxine said, "I intend the same. Mother nature forever and ever!" winked and left in her jetpack.

April 22, 2021 07:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.