2 comments

Suspense Adventure

“Doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat.” Ari crosses her arms, watching my stare as I watch her from my seat on my bed.

I know my little sister means well, but she’s only nine. She has no idea of the circumstances the next three days hold for us. Despite knowing this, I still give her a slight smile. This seems to satisfy her, but I’m not going to let her outstage me.


“So if I were to sacrifice myself for you,” I start, making eye contact so she listens better, my icey blue eyes snapping onto the gaze of her fiery amber ones. “It wouldn’t count as an act of bravery?” she breaks the contact quickly, before things escalate into a staring contest.


“No, it wouldn’t because I wouldn’t because I wouldn’t let you.” Her sassy attitude begins to shift into a look of worry and fear appearing on her face. “I wouldn’t let you die for me.”


Without thinking, I grab her hands, grasping her fingers with my own. I no longer cared if I was scaring her, I needed her to understand. “Listen,” I’m forcing her to make eye contact this time, as I don’t want her to drift off. I can see the fear in her eyes. “Arianne, your safety, no, your LIFE is much more important than that of my own.”

Even the seriousness in my voice has me shocked, I’ve never been like this before. Nothing has been this important before.


“If I ever do sacrifice myself for you,” I continue, not intending on stopping. “I need you to promise me that you’ll run. You need to run as fast you can without looking back. Once you get to safety, you can check my light. It would go out if I were to die. If I were to live, however, don’t you dare come out of hiding to find me. It would be much too risky. We’d find each other after Maylinberg ends.”


Shaking with fear, she nods, and as soon as she does I release my grip on her. I open and close my hand, beginning to feel bad for her. I was holding onto her so tightly, I was speaking so seriously. I’d be scared too if I were her.

I turn my gaze back onto her. Tears stream down her cheeks. This makes me feel even worse. I’ve made my little sister cry. I’m only trying to protect her. When we both make it out of Maylinberg, she’ll thank me.


“Miranda Eleanor Brown,” startled, I jump. Aunt Mar is standing in the doorway. “May I speak to you? Privately?”


Knowing I’m about to be scolded, I stand and trudge to her. She leads me into the kitchen, where she sits me down at the table. She gives me a cookie before sitting down in the seat across from mine. She does this to make us feel better before yelling at us. A good tactic, might I add. For a moment, I forgot she was mad at me.


“Mira,” she begins, using the nickname I don’t particularly like at the moment. If she’s going to yell at me, why doesn’t she use my full name as she did when she was in the doorway? “I know you’re scared, for you and Ari, but please don’t make her feel so afraid.”


I open my mouth, about to list reasons why she should be scared, but Aunt Mar speaks first. “I know that you have reasons to be afraid, but you have to remember you’ll be going through this every year until you’re sixteen. You’ll get used to it. Yes, it’s not everyday you get hunted down by an eyeless monster, but fear will only make you weaker.”


I’m about to object, but something she’s said has caught my attention. “Sixteen? I thought we only competed until we were thirteen!”


“You know every year there’s always a twist, don’t you? This year’s twist was the children competing in Maylinberg tomorrow will have to compete until they’re sixteen, not thirteen.”


At that moment, fear began running through my veins. I turned very white, paler than I already was. I was only supposed to compete twice. My sister would have only had to compete four times. I’m now going to get hunted down for three days each year until I’m sixteen. That’s four times I have to compete.


“No, no no no,” I’m now panicking. I have a good reason to be. “I-I can’t, Ari, she’ll, six times, no, no!”


“Miranda! Miranda? Are you okay?”




That was the last thing I heard until I was surrounded in utter darkness.








Hello everyone! This isn't my best story and I'm not very proud of it.. If you enjoyed this story please let me know and I'll continue it!




EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDSEXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS EXTRA WORDS

November 06, 2020 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

02:59 Nov 07, 2020

I loved this story! Really suspenseful! Part 2 please ✌️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
07:19 Nov 27, 2020

I'd like to see how this story ends. Keep up the great work! -Whirl Ps, hmm...this reminds me a bit of the Hunger Games...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.