8 comments

Romance

Bruce had never truly been in love best he could tell. And to be honest, he wasn't exactly sure he was now. But this time felt different .. foreign to him, if you will. Sure, there were others who he found captivating, perhaps even breathtaking. This feeling though, was different. Really different. Just observing her walk down the street with that beautiful mane of coal black hair gently blowing in the breeze was enough to make any guy's fragile heart skip a beat. Well heck, even a dog's tail would wag back and forth at such a sight. And it wasn't just her beautiful hair, it was that incredibly long and slender body and those pearly white teeth when she smiled. 

One problem for Bruce though was she was never alone and it was the same dang guy each and every day.Bruce wondered just what their relationship was. He looked nothing like her so he didn't believe it was her brother. If the weather was nice, you could count on those two walking together early morning, usually around 630a and then in the evening around 7p. As soon as Bruce got up and even before his tried and true breakfast of bacon and whatever else was on tap that morning , he would take a gander out the window, just hoping for a nice day. No alarm was needed for his body clock had him wake before that early morning walk, most mornings. An incredibly depressing mood would have Bruce moping around the house all day when the weather was ugly. He would often disappear and not be seen most of the day, except for being present when it was time to eat. Well that's not exactly right because he did need to go into the yard a couple times a day to take care of business. 

Bruce would sit near the picture window that graced the front of the main living room and would carefully canvas himself behind the array of plants so as not to be seen. The plants were of a variety of shapes and species and of varying height. Instinctively, he knew it was just about time and would place his little face with his prominent nose between the Christmas Cactus and the fern and wait. It was nice that she and her walking partner was so consistent with their walking times. Oh yeah, there were days when they must have left the house a bit early or a bit late and Bruce would just catch the back of them as they passed on the earlier than usual days. An incredible sadness overcame him on the late days, just dreading that he wouldnt see her. An even more incredible happiness would ensue when they appeared after all hope had been abandoned. Poor Bruce was in love, so he thought, and didn't even know her name.

All that changed though two weeks ago. As the two of them strolled past the window on a warm summer Saturday, the female he was in love with ran ahead of her male friend to more closely examine the daffodils that had just came into blossom. The male friend was caught by surprise by this and quickly yelled out .. "Missy, hold up, you can't go running off like that!!". So now Bruce knew that he was in love with a female named Missy. Such joy filled his heart. He was a bit concerned that once he found out her name, a rather dull name in his opion would dampen his love for her. But no, Missy was an absolutely beautiful name. Oh, was he ever happy. 

Later that day as he was sunning himself beside the pool in the spacious and lovely courtyard. The courtyard had an unpainted wooden fence surrounding it. There were birdfeeders and a wide variety of colorful flowers that bloomed throughout those warm and long summer days. In the rear of the courtyard was a small but fruitful garden from which peppers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, herbs and cucumbers. They were harvested in due time. Truth be told though, Bruce did not care for vegetables one little bit. As he lay there, belly down, drifting in and out of sleep, he imagined being forever bound to Missy. Together they would share his last name. Fischer. Bruce and Missy Fischer! Bruce's heart ached to know more about his lovely Missy. 

He finally decided that he would discreetly follow them to wherever their walk would take them. With a little luck, he might be able to get a glimpse into what her life was like at home. And who was this walking partner of hers anyway ?! His opportunity arrived on a day when the winds of change filled the air as fall was settling in and the sun would hide its face late afternoon, making everyone long for the long and lazy days of summmer. Just as soon as they passed the window on that cool and brisk fall morning, Bruce slipped out the front door unnoticed. His house companions had just returned from an early morning shopping trip and had left the front door ajar while they carried the reusable shopping bags to the kitchen. From a short distance, Bruce followed Missy as they walked to the end of the block, crossed Pine Street and one block later, made a left onto Oak Avenue. 

Their destination was just a 100 feet or so and on the left. Across the street was a beautiful park with a nice Gazebo, a couple of picnic tables and a few benches scattered about. The park was lined with tall and mature Oak trees. Missy's ranch style home was painted a beautiful baby blue and had a nice sittable front porch with a swing and two handmade wooden rocking chairs with comfy cushions. Between the chairs was a round table large enough to hold a couple of glasses and a book or two. 

Bruce thought to himself, it is now or never ! Bruce abandoned all pent up fear and headed to the house. Just as he arrived at the gate, the door was closing and Missy had disappeared inside. Bruce's heart sank and he felt like a big cry was coming. Turning now to take the long and sad walk back to his house, he heard the front door of the ranch style house open and the shuffling of feet on the veranda. He turned around abruptly and standing there, in her glorious beauty, was his love, Missy. 

Unbeknownst to Bruce, Missy on more than one occasion had noticed Bruce peeking through the windows. And, she thought Bruce to be quite a handsome fellow. It was her hope that Bruce was as kind and caring as he was handsome. So when Bruce followed them home from what he believed to be in discreet fashion, Missy had taken notice. Missy, it turns out,had never truly been in love best she could tell. And to be honest, she wasn't exactly sure she was now. But this time felt different .. foreign to her, if you will. Sure, there were others who she found captivating, perhaps even breathtaking. This feeling though, was different. Really different. 

Who would have thought two dogs could actually fall in love !

August 06, 2023 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Michał Przywara
20:54 Aug 08, 2023

Heh :) It took me a while to clue in, and what finally did it was "His house companions had just returned from an early morning shopping trip and had left the front door ajar". This story reads quite differently when we imagine a human watching another human, which makes the twist pay off more. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Bob Long Jr
00:42 Aug 10, 2023

Thank you. There were a couple of hinty hints and you picked up on the one. Thanks again for spending your time on reading the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:22 Aug 07, 2023

Ha! You got me! Lol very good!

Reply

Bob Long Jr
22:49 Aug 07, 2023

Thank you ... I wrote half this story on a Sunday morning at a local coffee shop and then finished it later that day in same place. Going to try to write each week. It's a lot of fun.

Reply

18:06 Aug 08, 2023

My favourite place to write is in a coffee shop in fact it's about the only place I can write! Something about the environment helps me tune in. Youd think it would be the opposite! It is a lot of fun yes and addictive, in a good way!

Reply

Bob Long Jr
00:38 Aug 10, 2023

Absolutely .. this one is quiet but I tune out distractions pretty easily, most times... especially if on a roll. Nothing quite like being on a roll when writing. I am really looking forward now to the next one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Betha Darling
19:25 Sep 21, 2023

This story is heartwarming! I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was about two dogs, which I didn't realize until the third paragraph. You did a great job building up our curiosity. I was invested in finding out if they would ever meet. I'm so happy they got their happy ending! Great response to the prompt. Great job!

Reply

Bob Long Jr
23:56 Sep 21, 2023

Thank you for the kind words! I had fun writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.