Jack and Sophia discovered a mysterious land

Written in response to: Write about someone who thinks they just got a great deal on something, only for them to realize…... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Mystery Thriller

A few days were left to submit the thesis and jack was excited about writing down his report. He had been studying Archaeology and his final year task was to write down an archaeological fact that narrated a ruined civilization. On the weekend, he was strolling the market with his group member Sophia. They sat around the coffee shop to timeline their project. Sophia had a great mastery of deciphering the ancient language. She wrote great articles about symbolism and Greek philosophers. As they finished their coffee, their eyes were caught by a poster that announced an open visit to the city museum. Everywhere around the poster were printed the symbols of the Greek Gods, strange symbols that jack couldn’t decipher, but Sophia saw them eagerly. That sounded quite interesting to them and maybe they could find something for their project . The next day, they entered the museum. At the entrance, a large statue was placed in a glass chamber. They both glanced up at the statue , studying every single detail about it. The ceiling was a flickering large neon light that seemed like thunder, giving the whole statue a dark vibe. Underneath the glass, was written the description of the statue that said :the Greek king Odious who carved a palace in the Mountains of Alpha, a famous site where a lot of archaeological research has been done.

After that, they passed through the strange stone samples, human fossils and extinct species .They all sounded marvellous and each one was worth looking at. Finally, when they went through the door they saw a small antique shop. Right on the glass shelf , a large map was placed. They greeted the owner who himself was wearing a strange black hat, printed with octagonal shapes. He sensed that they were interested in buying a map. As jack and Sophia came closer, the map highlighted the strange Paradox of Mountains , they were making a round symmetry and all over it strange symbols were drawn and at the bottom a few lines were written that were barely visible from the naked eye. As they saw the price, they were surprised as it was only a few pennies. Both jack and Sophia couldn’t resist taking such a great deal. So they bought it and start searching for it.The page looked crumpled and frizzy, even the texture of touching it, feels ancient, as if it has the smell coming from 1000 years ago. The details of the mountains and the symbols were perfectly drawn , they looked fresh. Sophia studied the writing under the magnifier. Her eyes were examining the ancient language. Jack grew curious to know what was written. Sophia said that the lines are written in Greek star symbols and it said the description of a land that dates back to 1000 years ago. They were startled to know that the place still existed north of the abandoned village. For further details, they Googled the description and came to a blog post written by an American Archaeologist. On the front page,the pictures of the maze-looking mountains were captured, huge mountains were erected like Giant Walls touching the sky and cast a never-ending shadow over the ground, the place held a sense of gloom and terror, even the sun looked dark in front of those towering mountains...

As they further read the post, their eyes met with an unexpected story that reverberated through their senses.They saw the pictures of four children that were found missing..... they were last seen on the road that led to this mysterious place. Sophia pointed out on the map, the crimson Road. Several investigations were done to find out the case of the missing kids but no one has found them yet. The case is still a mystery after 50 years. Since then, many of the inhabitants there left the village as there were rumours that a strange force existed behind those mountains. After that, no one had stepped near the village and it was abandoned ,left with a few ruined churches and demolished houses.

As they came to the end of the blog they saw the interview transcript of the Archaeologist ,who wrote that he himself had seen the mountains and even found the narrow alley between those enormous dark mountainous walls. Both jack and Sophia were packed with curiosity to unravel that case, but for the project they had to gather data about the civilization that existed behind those mountains. There were only a few pictures of that place but no reporter nor any Archaeologist dared to cross what existed behind them. It was a huge veil, untouched by any human. Then Sophia wondered that maybe those missing children might end up crossing that path, and then they never came back. She searched for the location and it was a 100km trip. If they took a ship, they could reach there in 2 days, but the village was uninhabited and some of the areas were restricted only to researchers and reporters, and also, the tides were high there and the weather remained dark and gloomy. Sophia pondered about what if they found any trace or met any person that could tell them about civilization and what if they found a way to that place. She sounded optimistic. Jack sensed her excitement but he felt really cautious about those missing children. He wondered how they crossed the path. It’s been 50 years since they were missing.

When they finally arrived at the port, their hearts sank as none of the sailors agreed to go there. They spent hours convincing the sailers, but everyone said that there was nothing left in the village and it was useless to travel that far. Soon the day changed to night, but both jack and Sophia didn’t lose hope. They were determined to go there. The next morning, they saw a man who had a map of the crimson road. Jack rushed towards him and introduced him to the fact that he was on an archaeological research . The man looked old , his hair was grey and he looked skinny, but it was his eyes that were sharp like an eagle , daring to venture through those dark waves. Finally, jack made a deal and they rode on his ship. The route was long and tedious. When they reached the centre of the sea, the whole view behind them seemed a dark void space as if the world had been dead. Soon the dark winds howled and the small tides turned into big splashing waves knocking everything that came down their way. They rested on a near island to wait for the weather to calm down .After struggling with dark waves, they finally saw a signboard of the village and the track to the crimson road.

They paid the sailor and walked on the road. They had lost contact with the outer world , but jack had his camera turned on to capture the journey. Soon they saw the Towery mountains that were so huge that they seemed to touch the sky, even the sun felt low and small in front of those dark stony mountains. As they arrived at the foot of the mountains, they saw a small group of people coming from the church. The people looked at them with suspicion but allowed them to pass through when they announced that they were here for archaeological research. Sophia and Jack knew that they had to be careful. They didn’t want to cause any trouble. They set up their base camp near the edge of the village and began their exploration. The terrain was treacherous, but Sophia and Jack were experienced climbers. They put on their hiker shoes and fixed torch on their helmets. As they came near the ground they felt like the whole world went upside down as if all the dark clouds had landed on the ground. The air felt heavy and they struggled to keep their balance against the gale that howled as if warning them of the unknown dangers.

Finally ,they made their way up the mountain, and after several hours, they found themselves at the top. They were surprised  to cross the mountains, no one had reached that far yet they were also alarmed by the hidden threat that echoed through the winds .They looked out across the landscape, and they saw something that made their blood run cold. In the distance, they saw a vast city, unlike anything they had ever seen before. It was surrounded by a high wall, and there was no way to enter. But as they continued to observe the city, they noticed something strange. There were no people in the streets. It was as if the city was abandoned. Sophia and Jack decided to investigate further. They made their way down the mountain and approached the city. As they entered the gates, they felt a sense of foreboding. It was as if the city was alive, and it was watching them. They walked through the deserted streets, and as they did, they found clues that made their hearts race. There were toys scattered on the ground, and they recognized them as belonging to the missing children. They knew they were getting closer to the truth.

They came to a massive temple at the centre of the city. It was there that they discovered the shocking truth. The city was not abandoned. It was inhabited by an ancient civilization that had been living in secrecy for centuries. And the missing children were not missing. They had been taken as offerings to the gods of the city. Sophia and Jack were horrified. They knew they had to get out of the city and warn the outside world of what they had discovered. But as they tried to leave, they found that the city was not going to let them go so easily. They were fierce winds knocking them down , choking their breath when they tried to escape. Sophia and Jack ran for their lives, but they knew that they had to make it back to their base camp and sound the alarm. It was a race against time, but they made it. They called for help, and soon a team of experts arrived to investigate the city. It was a discovery that shook the world, and Sophia and Jack became heroes for uncovering the truth but still the missing children who had grown up to adults spoke strange language , they didn’t agree to come back, their eyes were holding unknown secrets. ....

March 08, 2023 17:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.